Hold Your Fire love-fest

G Lee

HYF is one of the albums that got me into Rush and to this day it remains my second or third favorite album behind 2112 and perhaps Power Windows. Picking between HYF & Power Windows is very hard. Both are wonderful.

Neil's lyrics on HYF are some of his very best & the music fits perfectly with them.

I strongly like ever song on HYF with the exception of High Water. Its just ok.

Just a great album - at least to my ears.

Same here. Only I strongly live High Water.

I love Tai Shan. A lot. A nice, gentle and ethereal piece of music.

Yes!!! Totally agree with you about Tai Shan. Its a ridiculed, overlooked, highly disliked piece of art, peaceful poetry & musical genius!! I love the adventuresome step they took when they wrote & recorded it. A change of pace that many sadly can't appreciate. Their loss.

Its not a top 10 Rush song for me. Most likely not a top 25. Perhaps a top 50. Probably a top 50 - but that just speaks to the strength and depth of Rush's body of work. Its a real gem that fits in perfectly on a great album. Like you I really love the song.

• Like 2

HYF is one of the albums that got me into Rush and to this day it remains my second or third favorite album behind 2112 and perhaps Power Windows. Picking between HYF & Power Windows is very hard. Both are wonderful.

Neil's lyrics on HYF are some of his very best & the music fits perfectly with them.

Yes!!! Totally agree with you about Tai Shan. Its a ridiculed, overlooked, highly disliked piece of art, peaceful poetry & musical genius!! I love the adventuresome step they took when they wrote & recorded it. A change of pace that many sadly can't appreciate. Their loss.

Its not a top 10 Rush song for me. Most likely not a top 25. Perhaps a top 50. Probably a top 50 - but that just speaks to the strength and depth of Rush's body of work. Its a real gem that fits in perfectly on a great album. Like you I really love the song.

My top thirty Rush songs would mostly be HYF, AFTK and MP songs with a sprinkling of Presto haha!

But Tai Shan is a gem. Yes I know the band hate it but who cares what band members think, let alone the fans?

Most people who bag on Tai Shan are full of Tai Shan or have questionable Tai Shan for taste.

• Like 1

My top thirty Rush songs would mostly be HYF, AFTK and MP songs with a sprinkling of Presto haha!

But Tai Shan is a gem. Yes I know the band hate it but who cares what band members think, let alone the fans?

Yes, it is strange and sad that the group does not like the song but hey, to each their own.

I have never really figured out exactly what my top Rush song would be. I know the top 3. I basically know the top 10 - 15. I could probably figure out the top 20 with a little thought. After that, ranking the songs would be hard. Until I hit the worst of the worst. The very bottom 15 - 20 could be figured out and ranked as well with a minimum of fuss.

My top 20 - 25 would probably be a mixed bag of FBN, AFTK, 2112, MP, PeW, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, HYF with the possibility of something from Presto, RTB, Counterparts and S & A. I would guess the next 25 or so would be heavy from HYF, Power Windows, Presto, Counterparts plus an odd song here and there from some other albums. Basically all of HYF & Power Windows (I guess) would likely be in the top 50. Not that I have actually sat down and figured it out. One of these day I will.

The next 50 or so would be a mixed bag that I have not even thought about. After that, as you get further and further down the list you would see more and more ST, COS, RTB, CA and VT.

But I would be surprised to see many (or any) HYF songs out of the top 50. Other that High Water. And even that would be a top 100. Most likely.

HYF is that good of an album.

• Like 1

Yes, it is strange and sad that the group does not like the song but hey, to each their own.

I have never really figured out exactly what my top Rush song would be. I know the top 3. I basically know the top 10 - 15. I could probably figure out the top 20 with a little thought. After that, ranking the songs would be hard. Until I hit the worst of the worst. The very bottom 15 - 20 could be figured out and ranked as well with a minimum of fuss.

My top 20 - 25 would probably be a mixed bag of FBN, AFTK, 2112, MP, PeW, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, HYF with the possibility of something from Presto, RTB, Counterparts and S & A. I would guess the next 25 or so would be heavy from HYF, Power Windows, Presto, Counterparts plus an odd song here and there from some other albums. Basically all of HYF & Power Windows (I guess) would likely be in the top 50. Not that I have actually sat down and figured it out. One of these day I will.

The next 50 or so would be a mixed bag that I have not even thought about. After that, as you get further and further down the list you would see more and more ST, COS, RTB, CA and VT.

But I would be surprised to see many (or any) HYF songs out of the top 50. Other that High Water. And even that would be a top 100. Most likely.

HYF is that good of an album.

I had been told by so many and had read so much about how bad Tai Shan was...when I first played it I was like "here it comes the bad stuff...no...wait...this is...beautiful?!?!"

And it continued with High Water.

I found in a very short space of time that the last Rush album I bought was unexpectedly a real favourite. I know I like it more than permanent waves, but the two it most competes with are AFTK and MP. These three albums are my core favourites.

All three mean the world to me. Permanent Waves is the fourth 10/10 but it is strangely one of my least played Rush albums.

But when I do play it, it has been on repeat for several days at a time. Not another artist.

But still...easily fourth place. But one of four Rush albums I couldn't wish to be any better in any way.

My personal favourite Rush Album! Imo it has Neil's best lyrics, some of Geddy's best bass playing, some of Alex's best guitar solos and most importantly, some of the band's best ever songs. If I could go back in time to see one Rush concert, it would be one from the Hold Your Fire Tour. Think it's a shame the album hasn't been covered more in subsequent tours.
  • Like 1

Having one right now, almost sporting wood!

I listened last night, and there are great songs. But I go to the live versions for most of the songs I like from HYF.

Having one right now, almost sporting wood!

I listened last night, and there are great songs. But I go to the live versions for most of the songs I like from HYF.

Mission from S&A Live is fan f'in tastic!!!

• Like 1

I am not going to go through every page on this awesome thread.

I might have commented. I can't remember.

All I know is that "Hold Your Fire" is one of the greatest albums ever made! Many rip Tai Shan and High Water. LOL!

No musical sense of being.

So not even to mention that I love the record as a whole, but as a drummer I find it so fuckking fun to play too! Yep! I have a lot of buzzers and bells on my kit. My drum sets are both organic but I am still able to play along with each song despite all of Neil's electronic triggers and pads.

For instance, "Time Stand Still" is so amazing to play along too. Instead of using a drum pat to hit a high chime effect I will just use a cowbell that is perfectly placed in between a tom or two.

"Hold Your Fire" is "PERFECT WATER!"

Signed,

BLUE OYSTER CULT

• Like 1

I still remember the first thing I ever said when I first heard HYF

"You'd have to be a real f*cking sad sack to enjoy that sh*te"...

Ended up becoming one of my favourite Rush alums hahaha...

Edited by thirteen

I still remember the first thing I ever said when I first heard HYF

"You'd have to be a real f*cking sad sack to enjoy that sh*te"...

Ended up becoming one of my favourite Rush alums hahaha...

But of course. You are a stranger to me yet I totally understand your point of view.

At least you respect and love Bon Scott. Brian Johnson is a nice human but good riddance. Why the FUCKK is Axl Rose going to sing for AC/DC?

Should be Marc Storace.

No respect.

All I know is that "Hold Your Fire" is one of the greatest albums ever made! Many rip Tai Shan and High Water. LOL!

So not even to mention that I love the record as a whole, but as a drummer I find it so fuckking fun to play too! Yep! I have a lot of buzzers and bells on my kit. My drum sets are both organic but I am still able to play along with each song despite all of Neil's electronic triggers and pads.

For instance, "Time Stand Still" is so amazing to play along too. Instead of using a drum pat to hit a high chime effect I will just use a cowbell that is perfectly placed in between a tom or two.

Signed,

BLUE OYSTER CULT

I just seriously don't get the hate for High Water, but who the f**k am I to say, I really don't get the hate for Dog Years.

People think I am an idiot.

• Like 1

Signed,

BLUE OYSTER CULT

I just seriously don't get the hate for High Water, but who the f**k am I to say, I really don't get the hate for Dog Years.

People think I am an idiot.

You are not an idiot dude. We like to make fun of each other for our opinions but at the end of the day if anyone fuckks with you I will have your back.

I fuckking hate DOG YEARS, however musically it's ok.

DOG SHIT LYRICS

Earl is RIGHT. Why waste precious time singing along lyrics from DOG YEARS...bow-wow blah-blah-blah. When you can ponder the lyrics of Wait by White Lion!!!

Geddy Lee eats the corn out of Mike Tramp's dookie.

• Like 3

Earl is RIGHT. Why waste precious time singing along lyrics from DOG YEARS...bow-wow blah-blah-blah. When you can ponder the lyrics of Wait by White Lion!!!

Geddy Lee eats the corn out of Mike Tramp's dookie.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Are you kidding me John? I almost spit my beer out all over my Mac. WTF? EPIC SHITE!

One of your most boldest posts ever to date.

Incredible.

Mind-blowing. Funny!

"WAIT!" Vito Bratta blows Alex Lifeson away!!!!

Isn't "Dookie" an album by Green Day?

One of the worst bands in the world.

I am such a son of a bitch!!!

"SON OF A BITCH!" A real song by ACCEPT!

Signed,

BLUE OYSTER CULT

I love this post!

• Like 1

Signed,

BLUE OYSTER CULT

Earl, brother, and you have the BALLS to come on here and rip Moving Pictures for being "commercial?" Aimee Mann on background vocals? Rat tail hairdos? Chess King wardrobes? All they needed was a "fukking" cover of I Ran.

;)

• Like 1

Signed,

BLUE OYSTER CULT

Earl, brother, and you have the BALLS to come on here and rip Moving Pictures for being "commercial?" Aimee Mann on background vocals? Rat tail hairdos? Chess King wardrobes? All they needed was a "fukking" cover of I Ran.

;)

Although I love both Earl and HYF, I do agree with your sentiments!

• Like 2

Signed,

BLUE OYSTER CULT

;)

Although I love both Earl and HYF, I do agree with your sentiments!

All in good fun, Segue. :)