Hold Your Fire love-fest

G Lee

I'm going to listen to HYF right now.

I'll let you know if a love-fest ensues, or if I run out to the store later and buy a carton of mil chocolate malted balls.

i love HYF......but go for the malted milk balls.

freakin' delicious,

Mick

I have never heard of these! Show the packet and I will see if I can get them in the UK!

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31/bluefox4000/Whoppers.jpg

Mick

Oh wow they look amazing.

Nice balls Mick!

I was gonna say something but no we're a family forum

Mick

I am being a bit cheeky.

*oopsies*

• Like 1

Open Secrets is a really beautiful song. Somehow I forgot about it. Poor Neil. I often wonder what was going on in his life that prompted some of these lyrics. I know he's has gone on record on saying they aren't autobiographical, but I don't buy that line at all.

Open Secrets got me through a rough patch last year.

Amazing album. Especially if you have at times felt "broken inside".

• Like 1

Segue, is this your favorite Rush album? I can understand why you like it. It's probably the most upbeat Rush album musically.

It's not a bad album at all. I'm glad I listened to it again.

Its top three with Moving Pictures and A Farewell To Kings.

Hard to say if it is my favourite but it moves me.

This reminds me, in honour or your Hold Your Fire listening, I am going to revisit Signals!

• Like 1

Segue, is this your favorite Rush album? I can understand why you like it. It's probably the most upbeat Rush album musically.

This reminds me, in honour or your Hold Your Fire listening, I am going to revisit Signals!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

:ph34r:

Moving it to the commentary thread in just a moment.

I like HYF,some great songs and playing but just a small step down from Power Windows.Still I can put it on without the wife getting cranky,so Rush lite is better than no Rush.

Open Secrets is a really beautiful song. Somehow I forgot about it. Poor Neil. I often wonder what was going on in his life that prompted some of these lyrics. I know he's has gone on record on saying they aren't autobiographical, but I don't buy that line at all.

Brilliant song, Open Secrets is...thematically more adult than the science fiction and Kubla Khan-ing of ten years earlier. And that's not a criticism of the earlier work, at all- I'm just illustrating how different they had become.

And I don't care what anyone says to the contrary about this- the technical proficiency required to play the songs on Hold Your Fire is equal to that of Hemispheres, or Permanent Waves, or anything else.

• Like 2

Brilliant song, Open Secrets is...thematically more adult than the science fiction and Kubla Khan-ing of ten years earlier. And that's not a criticism of the earlier work, at all- I'm just illustrating how different they had become.

And I don't care what anyone says to the contrary about this- the technical proficiency required to play the songs on Hold Your Fire is equal to that of Hemispheres, or Permanent Waves, or anything else.

You know I agree 100%. Always, when it comes to this album!

And if you hunt down the original Lerryn! review, the rated it the full 5K's and said EXACTLY what you have just said, and more.

It is a marvellous album. It is by far the best of the synths era albums, and in my opinion possibly the very best of all their albums. I say this all the time, but I really mean it.

Those who dismiss it are mostly those who prefer to go with the crowd consensus, so they choose to ignore it. It was the last Rush album I bought, and what a treat it turned out to be!

The album that has rewarded me the most with repeated plays.

• Like 2

And if you hunt down the original Lerryn! review, the rated it the full 5K's and said EXACTLY what you have just said, and more.

It is a marvellous album. It is by far the best of the synths era albums, and in my opinion possibly the very best of all their albums. I say this all the time, but I really mean it.

Those who dismiss it are mostly those who prefer to go with the crowd consensus, so they choose to ignore it. It was the last Rush album I bought, and what a treat it turned out to be!

I'd like to see that review you referred to- I've never seen that.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

It took me a while to appreciate this album. It simply didn't speak to me musically for a long time, and it wasn't until I was more open to synths, pop, and soft music, and until I was mature enough to appreciate Neil's more adult lyrics, that I started to listen to it. HYF is still one of my least favorite Rush albums, but I have grown to love some of it, and like most of it. Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19871003kerrang.htm

FIRESTARTER!

'HOLD YOUR FIRE' ALBUM REVIEW

BY STEFAN CHIRAZI, KERRANG! NO. 156, OCTOBER 3, 1987, TRANSCRIBED BY DAVE LYTHGOE

Rush - 'Hold Your Fire' (KKKKK) (five stars/k's)

Yes, the fabulous five for this album.

Because once again, Rush have provided an album of class, quality and consistency.

I've heard some sort of bulls**t that this album sounds like Simple Minds. Yeah I suppose it's got a modern sound, but that hardly qualifies it for Kerr Mk 2 does it? Of course it bloody doesn't! The only 'influence' I can detect a smidgeon of is The Police, other than that we're talking about a natural progression from 'Power Windows' into a land of majesty and modern strength.

If you want strength, just cop an earful of opener 'Force Ten', its ecclesiastical intro giving way into that good old Geddy bass before the song engulfs the listener in a series of superb dynamics, melodies and atmospheres. Rush prove that power and brute sonic force doesn't need speed or volume, Rush create both by simply making their overall sound B-I-G.

The one thing to notice is that Alex Lifeson's guitar seems these days to share level pegging with the keyboards/synthesisers that are increasingly becoming the Rush sound.

'Tiime Stand Still' is testimony to the fact that Rush could never lose their roots or their originality however modern they decide to be. Harking back to the days of 'Hemispheres' with large dashes of 'Power Windows' influence, the meandering mystical path the number takes is marvellous to experience.

This is another major Rush strength that 'Hold Your Fire' illustrates, Rush's ability to advance and experiment without becoming pompous or indulgent. Of course this all depends on one's personal definition of indulgence, ie if something performed at less than drillhammer pace sounds boring to you then the point is lost, but I think even the most cynical would see their opinions blasted away by such numbers as 'Lock And Key'.

They have even written a natural single in 'Mission', all keyboard harmonies and gentle guitar waves melting in with that essential Rush sound...Lee's Rickenbacker gems, Lifeson's neat licks and Peart's superb drumming.

Knowing how rare it is to find an album with ten grade 'A' songs on it, I implore all lovers of good music to make an immediate purchase. You don't wait around when quality is on the shelves. And 'Hold Your Fire' really is one of the finest albums of the year.

• Like 2

Lol. Time has not been kind to HYF. I still regard the album highly but its purely in the middle of the bunch.

I think it sounds much better and has aged more beautifully than any eighties record bar PEW (if you think it qualifies) and MP.

HYF is Certainly of it's time. but i think it's beautiful. Aged better then Power Windows though i love that album too.

Mick

I agree with you.

But I don't see why an album sounding "dated" is a bad thing.

If I listen to an eighties album, I want eighties music, dammit!

My friends think Fleetwood Mac sound dated. I tell them they sound of their time and that is the magic of it: listen beyond the sound and open your ears to timeless music.

I think the same of Rush. Sure, the debut is typical of the time period. But it kicks ass. They got better, yes. No doubt about that.

Moving Pictures, however, could have come out last week and it would still sound fresh. Retro, in part, but fresh.

• Like 2

HYF is Certainly of it's time. but i think it's beautiful. Aged better then Power Windows though i love that album too.

Mick

I agree with you.

My friends think Fleetwood Mac sound dated. I tell them they sound of their time and that is the magic of it: listen beyond the sound and open your ears to timeless music.

I think the same of Rush. Sure, the debut is typical of the time period. But it kicks ass. They got better, yes. No doubt about that.

Moving Pictures, however, could have come out last week and it would still sound fresh. Retro, in part, but fresh.

and you know what else i noticed? the music dating thing only really get's heavily used with the 80's.

though i know why.....but it's still funny

Mick

• Like 1

http://www.2112.net/...1003kerrang.htm

FIRESTARTER!

'HOLD YOUR FIRE' ALBUM REVIEW

BY STEFAN CHIRAZI, KERRANG! NO. 156, OCTOBER 3, 1987, TRANSCRIBED BY DAVE LYTHGOE

Rush - 'Hold Your Fire' (KKKKK) (five stars/k's)

Yes, the fabulous five for this album.

Because once again, Rush have provided an album of class, quality and consistency.

I've heard some sort of bulls**t that this album sounds like Simple Minds. Yeah I suppose it's got a modern sound, but that hardly qualifies it for Kerr Mk 2 does it? Of course it bloody doesn't! The only 'influence' I can detect a smidgeon of is The Police, other than that we're talking about a natural progression from 'Power Windows' into a land of majesty and modern strength.

If you want strength, just cop an earful of opener 'Force Ten', its ecclesiastical intro giving way into that good old Geddy bass before the song engulfs the listener in a series of superb dynamics, melodies and atmospheres. Rush prove that power and brute sonic force doesn't need speed or volume, Rush create both by simply making their overall sound B-I-G.

The one thing to notice is that Alex Lifeson's guitar seems these days to share level pegging with the keyboards/synthesisers that are increasingly becoming the Rush sound.

'Tiime Stand Still' is testimony to the fact that Rush could never lose their roots or their originality however modern they decide to be. Harking back to the days of 'Hemispheres' with large dashes of 'Power Windows' influence, the meandering mystical path the number takes is marvellous to experience.

This is another major Rush strength that 'Hold Your Fire' illustrates, Rush's ability to advance and experiment without becoming pompous or indulgent. Of course this all depends on one's personal definition of indulgence, ie if something performed at less than drillhammer pace sounds boring to you then the point is lost, but I think even the most cynical would see their opinions blasted away by such numbers as 'Lock And Key'.

They have even written a natural single in 'Mission', all keyboard harmonies and gentle guitar waves melting in with that essential Rush sound...Lee's Rickenbacker gems, Lifeson's neat licks and Peart's superb drumming.

Knowing how rare it is to find an album with ten grade 'A' songs on it, I implore all lovers of good music to make an immediate purchase. You don't wait around when quality is on the shelves. And 'Hold Your Fire' really is one of the finest albums of the year.

Interesting comparison of "Time Stand Still" to "Hemispheres". I don't really see it, but interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Mick

I agree with you.

and you know what else i noticed? the music dating thing only really get's heavily used with the 80's.

Mick

I think it depends solely on whether or not you like the sounds typical of an era. But music doesn't need to be "dated", sure you can probably guess the exact month of the year Power Windows came out based on its sound. And yes it is an "old" album.

But it sounds like a great product of its time with stacks of brilliance to appeal to a modern listener!

The only era that really sounds lacklustre to me is the nineties. But that is partly because the radio pushed samey bands. Not dissing the decade, I love plenty of it. But it is in general my least favourite decade, counting from the sixties onwards.

• Like 1

Mick

I agree with you.

Mick

I think it depends solely on whether or not you like the sounds typical of an era. But music doesn't need to be "dated", sure you can probably guess the exact month of the year Power Windows came out based on its sound. And yes it is an "old" album.

But it sounds like a great product of its time with stacks of brilliance to appeal to a modern listener!

The only era that really sounds lacklustre to me is the nineties. But that is partly because the radio pushed samey bands. Not dissing the decade, I love plenty of it. But it is in general my least favourite decade, counting from the sixties onwards.

as a 90's kid. that decade did haved a general blandness to the sound.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I agree with you.

Mick

Mick

The 90s (especially 90-95) was a breath of fresh air for popular and radio music. The 80s were bland, samey, and weak. The 90s were much more diverse, powerful, and emphatic.

• Like 2

Mick

I agree with you.

Mick

Mick

The 90s (especially 90-95) was a breath of fresh air for popular and radio music. The 80s were bland, samey, and weak. The 90s were much more diverse, powerful, and emphatic.

growing up in it. i hated it. i've gained respect for a lot of it since. Still my least fav decade. i like music now better honestly.

Mick