Hold Your Fire love-fest

G Lee

My favorite album. And my favorite Rush concert. After having just graduated high school 3 months prior to the release, the album represents, in so many ways, my escape from that place. So, "Turn the Page" takes on a special resonance for me - a song, in my opinion, that speaks of moving on to different places, different people, and different circumstances. That's pretty much what graduation from high school means, but it could represent any other time in your life when you're about to make big changes.

As far as the concert, well, that was magical. Here in NC, we had just suffered a snow or ice storm. When we got to Reynolds Coliseum at NC State University, the late afternoon sun began to peak out of the leftover storm clouds, shining on the snow and ice. We met a guy cooking burgers on a big grill for the band, if I recall correctly. He was among all the tour buses and side entrance to the coliseum. We went to eat at Darryl's restaurant on Hillsborough Street across from campus. The place was packed with people, many of whom were Rush fans. I remember getting a taco salad.

We went to the show and enjoyed it. The red balloons malfunctioned in our section so I didn't get one. I left my tour program inside as we were leaving. I tried to go back and get it, ended up on the other side of the coliseum with other fans waiting for the band to emerge to leave. We were told they'd already left, but nobody believed that to be true. I never did get my program. We left and i remember seeing a very clear night sky full of stars and being very satisfied with the concert. Oddly enough we were playing side two of Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" on the way home. Strange, but when I listen to that album, I'm reminded of that night.

It's not too late to get that program!

http://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/media-260/tour-books/hold-your-fire-tourbook.html

Of the now 50 shows I've seen that's the ONLY tour I bought a program. I still have it the attic somewhere and at shirt that says large but looks like it could fit a 11 year old. I can remember hearing the entire album on DC101 prior to them coming to the Capital Centre in MD. After hearing it I had to pick up the cd and see that tour for 3 shows.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/rushbass/Rush1-27-1988.jpg

That's a really cool photo :D

Great view to watch Rush live for the first time, eh?! ;) :haz:

• Like 1

I like all the songs the my top picks are open secerets, lock and key. prime mover, force ten, time stand still, mission. turn the page, second nature. high water, tai shan Ummm Hey wait a minute... Oh and on a sentimenal note the HYF tour was my better 1/2's !st Rush concert.
  • Like 1

It's often said that HYF is "soft" but you can tell from the timbre of the sound that Neil is (as usual) beating the living hell out of his kit & playing with a lot of juice...and to me it sounds like they're all playing with passion even if the synths are at the forefront. With the glaring exception of Second Nature from Force Ten through Turn The Page is a helluva run of excellent songs.

Can't help it. Love this album. But then again I'm hardly a metal head.

• Like 3

The more I listen to HYF..the more I like it. At first it was too soft and mellow but I have come to really appreciate it as one of their finer albums.

The lyrics are my favorite part of the album. Neil really came up with some interesting thoughtful subjects.

Songs like Force Ten, Open Secrets, Lock & Key and Turn the Page are really rocking. The drumming and guitar work is actually impressive despite the prominent synths.

I also like the mellow stuff like Time Stand Still, Second Nature and Tai Shan.

They were able to strike a good balance on this album with slower and faster songs I think.

• Like 5

The more I listen to HYF..the more I like it. At first it was too soft and mellow but I have come to really appreciate it as one of their finer albums.

The lyrics are my favorite part of the album. Neil really came up with some interesting thoughtful subjects.

Songs like Force Ten, Open Secrets, Lock & Key and Turn the Page are really rocking. The drumming and guitar work is actually impressive despite the prominent synths.

I also like the mellow stuff like Time Stand Still, Second Nature and Tai Shan.

They were able to strike a good balance on this album with slower and faster songs I think.

I like Prime Mover too... truly a good album all around.

• Like 3

My favorite album. And my favorite Rush concert. After having just graduated high school 3 months prior to the release, the album represents, in so many ways, my escape from that place. So, "Turn the Page" takes on a special resonance for me - a song, in my opinion, that speaks of moving on to different places, different people, and different circumstances. That's pretty much what graduation from high school means, but it could represent any other time in your life when you're about to make big changes.

As far as the concert, well, that was magical. Here in NC, we had just suffered a snow or ice storm. When we got to Reynolds Coliseum at NC State University, the late afternoon sun began to peak out of the leftover storm clouds, shining on the snow and ice. We met a guy cooking burgers on a big grill for the band, if I recall correctly. He was among all the tour buses and side entrance to the coliseum. We went to eat at Darryl's restaurant on Hillsborough Street across from campus. The place was packed with people, many of whom were Rush fans. I remember getting a taco salad.

We went to the show and enjoyed it. The red balloons malfunctioned in our section so I didn't get one. I left my tour program inside as we were leaving. I tried to go back and get it, ended up on the other side of the coliseum with other fans waiting for the band to emerge to leave. We were told they'd already left, but nobody believed that to be true. I never did get my program. We left and i remember seeing a very clear night sky full of stars and being very satisfied with the concert. Oddly enough we were playing side two of Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" on the way home. Strange, but when I listen to that album, I'm reminded of that night.

AMLO and HYF are forever entertwined in my mind.

Better than Power Windows (which seems to be very overrated). But not in the top 10 of Rush albums. A nice listen from time to time.

Couldn't agree more with all of this.

• Like 1

Just wanna say they played like the first ten seconds of Time Stand Still over the loudspeakers at a baseball game I was at today and it made me so happy. That's such a great song. Also, I'm listening to HYF now. :)
  • Like 2

For a few years in the 90s my favorite Rush albums were Hemispheres and Hold Your Fire. Hemispheres appeals to my love of progressive rock and sometimes I have a tendency to avoid the more popular hits. I still really like HYF but have trouble picking favorite from Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Hold Your Fire has great lyrics, really well recorded vocals, some great playing and dynamics.
  • Like 2

I listened to Hold Your Fire today and I do like it a lot. I like the synth era stuff since that is what got me interested in Rush. I have been reading Contents Under Pressure and yesterday read the segment on HYF. Geddy says it is one of their dark horses. Mission has grown on me, especially after listening to it on S&A Live, very tight and intricate. And as someone else said, Neil is really smashing those drums :Neil:

His drumming on High Water really makes that song for me. This album isn't everyone's cup of tea but I do like it a lot.

• Like 1

I loved it when it came out and considered it a masterful execution of where they had been progressing as a band. It really worked for the musical climate of its time. But, as time does not in fact stand still, the music of HYF doesn't really grab me as much these days. HYF for me marks the era of RUSH that continues to this day, albums with lots of good songs, but not great album listening experiences. As with every RUSH album after it, when I finish listening to HYF, I am ready for it to be over. Not the case with any RUSH album that preceded it.

Still, I love Mission, Open Secrets, High Water...all of the songs, really. And Time Stand Still, well, it will always be special for me.

Power Windows was a great album,the height of their synth era.I thought at the time of its release that they couldn't go any further both in terms of songwriting and technology.For a three piece band this was getting fairly over the top and i remember there was talk of adding a keyboard player,something which i wasn't keen on.When HYF arrived i played it to death but it seemed a little patchy to the last previous albums.IMO the standouts are Turn the Page,Mission,Open Secrets.Time Stand Still has great lyrics and also turned me onto Aimee Mann.Despite many hating Tia Shan i love the track and have always imagined Jon Anderson singing it.Force Ten is ok as an opener ,great bass playing,Prime Mover gets bogged down halfway thru.Second Nature is great song but Lock and Key is too poppy for me.Alex once described the album as 'stodgy,and i tend to agree.Oh,and High Water is very ordinary.
  • Like 1

When it comes to music, if a song gives me a positive feeling or a good associative memory of an event, such as I've described in my previous post in this thread, then I like it. Whether there isn't enough guitar, too poppy, "Rush lite", it simply does not matter to me. What instruments are used, style, etc...don't define, to me, what a good song is.
  • Like 3

It's my number 2 Rush album now. perfect........Save for those damn last 2. way to trip up boys, lol

anyway.....Prime mover is one of my very fav Rush tunes.

Mick

I just don't get how those last two are bad songs. Haha

• Like 1