What is the best song to play for someone new to Rush?

rftag

One thing to NOT do is to play them any live DVD's from the past 10 years or so.

Really?

I would think letting them, watch the R30 DVD would be a perfect primer.

I said in another post that R30 or Snakes & Arrows would be okay. But I would start with the studio albums first.

I'm glad you can use Google. You used ADHD as a way to insult kids you perceive to be less cool than you see yourself. I do work for kids with the condition having problems with school districts with administrators as ignorant as you are. You used the term as "a joke." You're a clown.

Kudos to you for the work you do advocating for kids. That said, you're being oversensitive, I think, given the context of the original tongue in cheek comment and his follow up remarks.

With all due respect goose, and I mean that sincerely, I disagree. His initial remark used ADHD as a term meaning, I infer, kids somehow socially beneath him, since he proudly "educated" them by exposing them to LVS. HIs follow up compounded the problem, by suggesting a diagnosis of the condition is of questionable validity. It's not unlike calling someone a "retard" or an "Asperger's kid," as a synonym for someone unintelligent or socially awkward, respectively, neither of which work for me.

Fair enough.

The first song I heard was Tom Sawyer, and I was turned off by it. Didn't give the band another shot for another year or two afterward. It has since grown on me, but it's still not even top twenty for me.

I'd start someone new on two songs, which I know isn't the premise of the question, but I'm a loose cannon who doesn't play by the rules. I play it fast and I play it loose, and in the end I get results.

Natural Science followed by Headlong Flight.

Natural Science because it's long-form without asking someone to commit to 20 minutes or more, and it's a great representative of the classic era.

Headlong Flight because it flat out rocks, and musically, it actually has a lot in common with the classic era. It's a good bridge tune, so to speak.

• Like 1

I was recently faced with this task. I have a coworker that told me he couldn't name a single Rush song. He asked me to burn him a compilation CD, but I opted to go with Moving Pictures. I think the albums need to be experienced individually as a unit, but that's just me. He really liked Moving Pictures (but he couldn't really get into Camera Eye).

I'm debating what to give him next. I'm thinking Permanent Waves or AFTK?

I was recently faced with this task. I have a coworker that told me he couldn't name a single Rush song. He asked me to burn him a compilation CD, but I opted to go with Moving Pictures. I think the albums need to be experienced individually as a unit, but that's just me. He really liked Moving Pictures (but he couldn't really get into Camera Eye).

I've been thinking about this thread question for a few days now. It really is important to choose the right song. It helps to know the musical tastes the person has.

In your case, what I would do at this point is to give him a live concert dvd to watch. Maybe Rio - but give him the Rio documentary to watch before the concert dvd. Why? If you can get someone to first like Rush a lot as individuals, the rest is easy.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this thread question for a few days now. It really is important to choose the right song. It helps to know the musical tastes the person has.

In your case, what I would do at this point is to give him a live concert dvd to watch. Maybe Rio - but give him the Rio documentary to watch before the concert dvd. Why? If you can get someone to first like Rush a lot as individuals, the rest is easy.

Excellent idea. Rio was my first foray into live Rush, so that would be an excellent choice.

if you are heading out for a car ride, have "exit stage left" in the cd player ready for the play button. after the first 2 songs you will know the reaction you are looking for. That is if person you are wanting to introduce to RUSH is into the more classic feel for music.

After that suggestion I have no idea what to say, it depends on the person i guess.