What is the best song to play for someone new to Rush?

rftag

If they like Tears For Fears, stuff from HYF.

My sister actually likes TFF, or at least did like in the days of yore. Still she don't get Rush, not even HYF. You have to reconsider this.

I'm glad you can use Google. You used ADHD as a way to insult kids you perceive to be less cool than you see yourself. I do work for kids with the condition having problems with school districts with administrators as ignorant as you are. You used the term as "a joke." You're a clown.

Kudos to you for the work you do advocating for kids. That said, you're being oversensitive, I think, given the context of the original tongue in cheek comment and his follow up remarks.
  • Like 1

I don't think there is any one song. It's not even all that easy to select a song based on a person's other musical tastes. The friend I have who loves prog epics from the 70s was left cold by Xanadu and Hemispheres, but loved The Enemy Within, go figure!

I'm glad you can use Google. You used ADHD as a way to insult kids you perceive to be less cool than you see yourself. I do work for kids with the condition having problems with school districts with administrators as ignorant as you are. You used the term as "a joke." You're a clown.

Kudos to you for the work you do advocating for kids. That said, you're being oversensitive, I think, given the context of the original tongue in cheek comment and his follow up remarks.

With all due respect goose, and I mean that sincerely, I disagree. His initial remark used ADHD as a term meaning, I infer, kids somehow socially beneath him, since he proudly "educated" them by exposing them to LVS. HIs follow up compounded the problem, by suggesting a diagnosis of the condition is of questionable validity. It's not unlike calling someone a "retard" or an "Asperger's kid," as a synonym for someone unintelligent or socially awkward, respectively, neither of which work for me.

• Like 2

Kinda suprised no one has mentioned CttH. In my experience, that's been their most accessible song. Most of my non-Rush friends still like that song. It starts out pretty, then rocks hard, it's up-beat, and it's concise.
  • Like 1

Depends on your audience and motivation.

I'd do a trio of songs:

Xanadu to show the goofy prog side and intense musicianship

Limelight to show how tight the songwriting can be

The Pass from Rush in Rio to show how versatile and ever-evolving they are

Now that I have them hooked it's time for...........

The Necromancer!!!

I guess it depends on what they like and what other bands they listen to. If they like long prog songs, then play one of their epics, etc.

One thing to NOT do is to play them any live DVD's from the past 10 years or so.

Any DVDs too far back might seem too dated for someone new to appreciate the music. I might cherry pick some footage from S&A or R30.

One thing to NOT do is to play them any live DVD's from the past 10 years or so.

Any DVDs too far back might seem too dated for someone new to appreciate the music. I might cherry pick some footage from S&A or R30.

I think it would depend on the age of the person. If they were young it might seem dated.

I think it would depend on the age of the person. If they were young it might seem dated.

Very true. A Show of Hands was my first Rush video. I can at least relate to it as I grew up through that era. :LOL:

• Like 1

Very true. A Show of Hands was my first Rush video. I can at least relate to it as I grew up through that era. :LOL:

I would agree with what you're saying though. R30 or Snakes & Arrows would be all right. I still think it's better to start somebody off with the studio albums since everything is perfect on them and then move on to the live stuff.

• Like 2

I would agree with what you're saying though. R30 or Snakes & Arrows would be all right. I still think it's better to start somebody off with the studio albums since everything is perfect on them and then move on to the live stuff.

Agreed regarding the recent DVD's. What a turn off those would be. Yowza... :scared:

Agreed regarding the recent DVD's. What a turn off those would be. Yowza... :scared:

No kidding. Kind of makes me wonder what people think who haven't seen them in a long time and then go to a concert.

I didn't insult you once in this topic and you've insulted me numerous times. You've called me ignorant, idiot, clown. You haven't proven me wrong and you're resorting to insults because you obviously can't provide a single fact against what I said. That tells a lot more about you than it does about me. Also, there is such a thing as 2nd (or more) degree humor, you read my joke way too literally. My joke was not about insulting people I percieved to be less cool than me, it was about the absurd notion of ADHD because the term ADHD itself is a complete joke and therefore I don't see anything wrong with using it as a joke. That was your interpretation of what I said and not what I meant. I didn't expect anyone to understand what I meant and I didn't care. I find it hilarious that you feel like insulting me due to a sentence I didn't give much thought too. My joke wasn't clear at all but I have since explained what my position is very clearly.

Now as I said, there are a few people who've worked in the field of psychiatry who agree with pretty much everything I said so dismissing me or people who disagree with you as ignorant is missing the point completely. Some psychiatrists are smart enough to understand that there are many possible reasons why children who were diagnosed with ADHD behave the way they behave, they too have worked with people who fit the criteria for ADHD so again they're not ignorant. They don't call any so-called mental illness an illness despite being aware of the results of studies about depression or schizophrenia showing brain scans because again, these brain scans aren't a proof of any illness. Here's a debate from 1998 (the points made would be exactly the same today) which illustrates my points on the following question : "Is Depression A Disease ?", 3 people say no and 2 of them are psychatrists. Those who say no also think there is no such thing as mental illness. http://www.szasz.com...transcript.html

You're obviously not interested in any of this and this is my last message on this topic because I'm not interested in continuing a conversation with someone who's repeatedly insulted me, apparently because he misunderstood my joke, and/or because he disagrees with me about what ADHD is and thinks that my point of view is based on ignorance when it clearly isn't.

My joke was not about insulting people I percieved to be less cool than me, it was about the absurd notion of ADHD because the term ADHD itself is a complete joke and therefore I don't see anything wrong with using it as a joke.

That's precisely why you're ignorant.

• Like 1

My joke was not about insulting people I percieved to be less cool than me, it was about the absurd notion of ADHD because the term ADHD itself is a complete joke and therefore I don't see anything wrong with using it as a joke.

That's precisely why you're ignorant.

Who knew Jim Carrey was a Rush fan?

http://www.nndb.com/people/757/000022691/jim1-80.jpg

• Like 1

If I were introducing someone to Rush, I'd introduce them to Alex first because he would make them laugh and then that person would probably like Rush because Rush made that person laugh and if you can make someone laugh like Rush made that person laugh then that person would probably like you like that person likes Rush now.
  • Like 3

gotta be honest, if i was a kid and someone played me something post-permanent waves, i dont think i'd have had the almost spiritual experience i had listening to a copy of 2112 some beautiful rush head lent me one evening

the overture/temples of syrinx just blew me away and the ensuing story of it all ending in soliloquy was just pretty mindblowing to be honest. didnt even know what drugs were at that age but i know now the feeling was the same :) eagerly soaking up the words and graphics in the vinyl sleeve i kinda knew that was it and couldnt wait to hear whatever else they'd put out.

it didnt need clinching after hemispheres and AFTK but god dammit permanent waves did it. like totally awesome. stuff from the gods.

post waves of course is utterly brilliant rush mostly, mature & developed in all kinds of different ways but, that initial power and grab of 2112, i'd recommend to anyone drop of a hat.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

I'd actually say that the Rush In Rio DVD would be a great first intro.

Except that the sound is pretty sub par.