What is the best song to play for someone new to Rush?

rftag

If you were introducing someone to Rush who you want to like them, what song would you play for them first?

Oh boy. That's tough to know. Depends on the person. But if they don't like TSOR or Tom Sawyer at least a little there's probably no hope.
  • Like 5

yeah, anything from Moving Pictures or Permenant waves, except for camera eye.

Hey Furie, I see that you are from NY - and with the name Furie, I'm wondering if this is where you got you name ?

http://s26.postimg.org/fhyv9jbi1/Furies.png

A favorite film of mine BTW

2112 got me into them almost instantly on a random whim. But, then again, I'm odd/ambitious :P.
  • Like 2

Red Barchetta worked for me. There's a bit of just about everything in there, in a song that grabs hold of you and won't let go.
  • Like 3

I sent Subdivisions and Limelight to a lady recently, who liked the songs, but not the voice.

:wtf:

I was at a small party which I regret coming to and everyone was putting that crappy dubstep music. I decided to put La Villa Strangiato because I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. To my surprise, these ADHD kids thought it was amazing. Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 2

2112 got me into them almost instantly on a random whim. But, then again, I'm awesome/ambitious :P.

Fixed you fellow 2112 lover you... :)
  • Like 4

Stick It Out.

That got me hooked on Rush!

It may have worked for you, but that doesn't mean it would for others too.

Personally I can only say, chance is very high I would have never listened to anything else of Rush after hearing Stick It Out or for that matter the whole Counterparts.

I think people should always start with the classic stuff, generally for any band, because that's the stuff that got them famous, which usually happens for a reason.

• Like 2

Stick It Out.

That got me hooked on Rush!

It may have worked for you, but that doesn't mean it would for others too.

Personally I can only say, chance is very high I would have never listened to anything else of Rush after hearing Stick It Out or for that matter the whole Counterparts.

I think people should always start with the classic stuff, generally for any band, because that's the stuff that got them famous, which usually happens for a reason.

+1 I consider myself a Rush fan and I hate Stick It Out personally

• Like 2

Best viable answer. I tried to get my eighties adoring friend into Rush with their eighties stuff; she responded much better to 2112, which nearly instantly became her favorite song which she would listen to every morning before school.

• Like 1

I would think TSOR or Limelight, then Xanadu, Moving Pictures and 2112. But I dunno, my daughter didn't know any Rush at all and I was always playing All the World's a Stage in the car and now she loves them. It turned out she really liked Bastille Day and Fly by Night.
  • Like 2