Does Anyone Here NOT Like Xanadu?

Lorraine

I am tempted to say that the intro is the best part of the song. I'm with you Toymaker. I can listen to that intro forever.

In fact, I think I will go listen to it right now......

I think it's the best part of the song too even though the entire thing is just epic.

• Like 2

What is everyone's favorite version of the song?

I like the live versions for many reasons, but they all differ. I was listening to the one from Black Forest, but switched to Oslo. There are better ones out there.

I am tempted to say that the intro is the best part of the song. I'm with you Toymaker. I can listen to that intro forever.

That and the Weapon should be longer. That song is pretty hypnotic, and an extendo-mix of that with more of Lifeson's weird angular spacy leads would be great too.

Maybe that's the next stage of Rush: the extended mixes . . . . notice I didn't say "dance mixes," but whatever floats your boat!

http://silencenogood.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/disco-stu.gif

• Like 1

I think it's the best part of the song too even though the entire thing is just epic.

It really is - there is no other word to describe it and even that one falls short.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

That and the Weapon should be longer. That song is pretty hypnotic, and an extendo-mix of that with more of Lifeson's weird angular spacy leads would be great too.

Maybe that's the next stage of Rush: the extended mixes . . . . notice I didn't say "dance mixes," but whatever floats your boat!

http://silencenogood.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/disco-stu.gif

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: That picture is priceless.

I agree about The Weapon as well.

I'm listening to Hemispheres from Oslo now. Oh, to have been in that audience back then!!

I know I've said this often, but Geddy had some trill in his voice back then. :LOL:

Is that the same as warble? Whatever it is, it's part of what made his voice so unique.

• Like 1

I'm listening to Hemispheres from Oslo now. Oh, to have been in that audience back then!!

I know I've said this often, but Geddy had some trill in his voice back then. :LOL:

Is that the same as warble? Whatever it is, it's part of what made his voice so unique.

It's kind of the same. A warble is usually an up and down variance in pitch.

• Like 1

Yes, I think I've used that word before as well.

He can still do it. At least I think he can. It's not as pronounced though as it used to be.

Was he using his glottis, his syrinx, or his uvula?

Oh, wait . . . he's not a bird.

Edited by toymaker

If there is a technical definition for each one - warble and trill - what are they? I just chose the words at random to describe his voice.

Alex' solo at the end of Xanadu was mirrored almost to perfection by John Petrucci on Dream Theater's Voices.

He can mirror Alex all he wants, he'll always pale in comparison
  • Like 2

Alex' solo at the end of Xanadu was mirrored almost to perfection by John Petrucci on Dream Theater's Voices.

John is a very "soul-less" guitar player. Technically proficient but there is no feeling behind it.

• Like 1

John is a very "soul-less" guitar player. Technically proficient but there is no feeling behind it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I had the (dis)pleasure of seeing Dream Theater live last year; the whole thing came across as a gimmick.
  • Like 1

Come on now...Petrucci does have feel. Listen to his solo on Wither, for example. Or the one on The Best Of Times...

I will admit that I quite enjoy his work on Solitary Shell :LOL:

Come on now...Petrucci does have feel. Listen to his solo on Wither, for example. Or the one on The Best Of Times...

A good majority of the stuff he plays is shred. That is boring as heck when it's just done to show how fast he can play.

• Like 2

A good majority of the stuff he plays is shred. That is boring as heck when it's just done to show how fast he can play.

diddellydiddellydiddellydidellyweeweeweediddellydiddellyweeeeeeeeeeediddlelydiddellydiddlyyweeweeeee etc.etc.etc.

• Like 1

John Petrucci, The Soulful Shredder.

One more post criticizing him and I´ll be forced to start an Earl-like thread about him. Something like "I´m "FALLING INTO INFINITY" and losing my "TRAIN OF THOUGHT"!!! Who´s the best prog metal guitar player on the planet?!?!!?!! You guys are "BURNING MY SOUL!!!" You need to "Awake" and listen to Dream Theater properly!!!"

Thought I'd get flack for it - oh well. Movin' on...:outtahere: Edited by librarian