Does Anyone Here NOT Like Xanadu?

Lorraine

Xanadu seems to be a very much loved Rush song by fans, and I am curious if there are any fans here who do not like it. If you don't like the song, I am wondering what it is about the song that you don't like.

:)

For me, a Rush fan not not liking Xanadu is akin to an animal lover not liking kittens. But doubtless there are Rush fans who don't dig it (they are probably big fans of the synth period).

• Like 2

Nope. That dude looks like he knows what he's doing.

:LOL: He does? :)

I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for in a ukelele player. Not everyone can be Jake Shimabukuro . . .

• Like 1

Xanadu seems to be a very much loved Rush song by fans, and I am curious if there are any fans here who do not like it. If you don't like the song, I am wondering what it is about the song that you don't like.

:)

LOVE

• Like 1

Xanadu (the good one :P) has been my ringtone for around a year and I'm still not tired of it.
  • Like 1

by how much did they speed it up?

By about a 1/2 of a semi-tone if that tells you anything. It's right in between E and F.

lol, thanks for that useful answer, I understand what it means but it's not the answer I was expecting :eh:

According to you it's half a semi-tone higher as a result of speeding it up but I think that the question was how much did they speed it up to get that result ?

What I'm saying is that the track is 11:07 long and maybe it was 11:15 long or something before speeding it up.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to know by how much they sped it up though.

Edited by Tuesday's Gone

I play Xanadu on the ukelele.

Can use a recording of that sometime?

Tiny Tim did a killer version before he passed away.

Don't know if this is true, but I heard a wild rumor decades ago that Rush bought the rights to the song from Tiny for the price of a new Uke. :huh: So, the real genius behind the song is Tiny Tim. :eh:

• Like 1

If you don't like Xanadu you either don't like RUSH at all or you're one of those trendy, new-wave-haircut-sporting, bandwagoning fans of the synth era who want RUSH to be ABC..

Can't stand Xanadu. My favorite Rush era is Vapor Trails onward. Everything before VT is despicable imo.

it's good thing Rush won't make it to Rio on this tour then... you'd hate the show.

Toymaker, if I ever heard you play Xanadu on the uke, I don't think I could keep a straight face.

I would not be able to keep a straight face if you were able to keep a straight face.

• Like 1

Toymaker, if I ever heard you play Xanadu on the uke, I don't think I could keep a straight face.

I would not be able to keep a straight face if you were able to keep a straight face.

Well, I wouldn't want to insult you by my laughing uncontrollably when you spent so much time on the Xanadu Uke arrangement.

Maybe I can listen from the next room by putting a glass up to the wall.

Well, I wouldn't want to insult you by my laughing uncontrollably when you spent so much time on the Xanadu Uke arrangement.

It's just one of those things that's so ludicrous to think about that you end up just having to try it!

It's just one of those things that's so ludicrous to think about that you end up just having to try it!

Why don't you give it a trial run at your gig tonight? :popcorn:

Don't know if this is true, but I heard a wild rumor decades ago that Rush bought the rights to the song from Tiny for the price of a new Uke. :huh: So, the real genius behind the song is Tiny Tim. :eh:

Believe it or not, I actually saw Tiny Tim in concert in the '80's unexpectedly. (After all, who would plan to see such a thing?) It was in Gilley's, the honky-tonk featured in Urban Cowboy. We took some out of town cousins to see the place, and he happened to be playing that night. Sadly, he did not do his Xanadu/2112/By-Tor medley.

• Like 2

Believe it or not, I actually saw Tiny Tim in concert in the '80's unexpectedly. (After all, who would plan to see such a thing?) It was in Gilley's, the honky-tonk featured in Urban Cowboy. We took some out of town cousins to see the place, and he happened to be playing that night. Sadly, he did not do his Xanadu/2112/By-Tor medley.

Too bad. I think he had oodles of untapped and well hidden talent. :cool:

• Like 1

I like the song Xanadu so much, it's even represented in my Avatar... :7up: :rush: :haz: :D Edited by rushbass
  • Like 3

If you don't like Xanadu you either don't like RUSH at all or you're one of those trendy, new-wave-haircut-sporting, bandwagoning fans of the synth era who want RUSH to be ABC..

Can't stand Xanadu. My favorite Rush era is Vapor Trails onward. Everything before VT is despicable imo.

it's good thing Rush won't make it to Rio on this tour then... you'd hate the show.

I was being ironic.

• Like 3

I was being ironic.

Yeah he hates Xanadu...like who can hate Xanadu?