Does Anyone Here NOT Like Xanadu?

Lorraine

by how much did they speed it up?

By about a 1/2 of a semi-tone if that tells you anything. It's right in between E and F.

By about a 1/2 of a semi-tone if that tells you anything. It's right in between E and F.

I recall being frustrated by that, too. My turntable didn't have a variable speed control, so the bass ended up being tuned to the record if I wanted to play along.

I recall being frustrated by that, too. My turntable didn't have a variable speed control, so the bass ended up being tuned to the record if I wanted to play along.

Right. And you couldn't tune to the intro because it changed once the instruments came in.

No, it doesn't help me. :LOL:

I think I hear it. After listening to the studio version, the live one sounds like it's dragging slightly to me.

It is the song of songs though. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

No, it doesn't help me. :LOL:

I think I hear it. After listening to the studio version, the live one sounds like it's dragging slightly to me.

It is the song of songs though. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

If you just listen to the first synth note at the very beginning before the guitar comes in you can tell it's higher pitched on the studio version.

How did they do things before the computer?

With magnets. And more moving parts. Tape machines, in other words - used by "analog kids" primarily in the 50s, 60s, 70s. Read no further if you don't like boring explanations! (Not to mention goofily simplistic explanations!)

Tape is coated with little iron particles that get rearranged a certain way when you run a magnet over them - the magnet being part of a recording device that "translates" the music you're playing into electrical impulses. The tape used by recording engineers was wide enough to be subdivided into several tracks (kind of like a multi-lane highway), each of which had part of the song (instrument or voice) recorded onto it. You would either record everything at once - known as "live in the studio," with every instrument being "assigned" to a track on the tape, or you would typically record "bed" tracks (usually drums, bass, and possibly rhythm guitar) after which the singers and lead players and other instrument players would layer their stuff on the rest of the tracks (known as "overdubbing").

In the 80s I bought myself a 4 track recorder - a device which uses all four tracks of a standard stereo cassette tape - so I could record rudimentary versions of songs. But you wouldn't flip the tape over because the device used all four tracks of the tape (a stereo tape has two stereo tracks per side, and two sides). It's a very useful device for recording demos, but nothing really beats the software we have now for recording demos of songs, because you can pretty much have as many tracks as you like - just click "new track" and it pops up on your screen. If you knew how to play enough instruments, you could record a whole symphony by yourself.

• Like 4

I don't think it's one of Olivia Newton John's best songs, but it's alright

Please, mister...please. :facepalm:

:LOL:

Sure Olivia Neutuered John covered Xanadu, but could Rush cover 'Let's Get Physical'?

:dweez:

• Like 1

With magnets. And more moving parts. Tape machines, in other words - used by "analog kids" primarily in the 50s, 60s, 70s. Read no further if you don't like boring explanations! (Not to mention goofily simplistic explanations!)

Tape is coated with little iron particles that get rearranged a certain way when you run a magnet over them - the magnet being part of a recording device that "translates" the music you're playing into electrical impulses. The tape used by recording engineers was wide enough to be subdivided into several tracks (kind of like a multi-lane highway), each of which had part of the song (instrument or voice) recorded onto it. You would either record everything at once - known as "live in the studio," with every instrument being "assigned" to a track on the tape, or you would typically record "bed" tracks (usually drums, bass, and possibly rhythm guitar) after which the singers and lead players and other instrument players would layer their stuff on the rest of the tracks (known as "overdubbing").

In the 80s I bought myself a 4 track recorder - a device which uses all four tracks of a standard stereo cassette tape - so I could record rudimentary versions of songs. But you wouldn't flip the tape over because the device used all four tracks of the tape (a stereo tape has two stereo tracks per side, and two sides). It's a very useful device for recording demos, but nothing really beats the software we have now for recording demos of songs, because you can pretty much have as many tracks as you like - just click "new track" and it pops up on your screen. If you knew how to play enough instruments, you could record a whole symphony by yourself.

I find that amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. :cheers:

• Like 1

I find that amazing.

The questions you're asking can take a long time to explain. I'm glad Toymaker is taking the time to type all that out. I wouldn't know where to start. :LOL:

• Like 2

I find that amazing.

The questions you're asking can take a long time to explain. I'm glad Toymaker is taking the time to type all that out. I wouldn't know where to start. :LOL:

I think he's a teacher, so he's used to dealing with the ignorant. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Sure Olivia Neutuered John covered Xanadu, but could Rush cover 'Let's Get Physical'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWeJ9p42ufg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWeJ9p42ufg

That's almost blasphemous that two songs so diametrically opposed in every way should bear the same name. :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

I play Xanadu on the ukelele. I went online to see if anyone else was playing Xanadu on the ukelele, but the only versions I can find are the Olivia Newton-John song. Maybe if I recorded it and uploaded it to youtube, I could have the honor of having the only ukelele version of the Rush Xanadu.

I'm surprised someone hasn't done this. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

• Like 4

Toymaker, this might be your ticket to stardom - Xanadu on the Uke.

Nothing can stop you now. :)

I call it Xanadukelele

• Like 5