Does Anyone Here NOT Like Xanadu?

Lorraine

So speaking of the great Xanadu, it's basically the best thing they ever recorded bar 2112 (and even that becomes debatable at times). But it's awesomeness is of course increased a thousand-fold when joined with the rest of Rush's most Madri-cal record: A F T K.
  • Like 4

I hope everybody likes me. :P

:syrinx: Well played and as far as I know I do... ;) Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Best song they ever recorded, bar none.

Like I said earlier, it used to be my absolute fave...my very first favourite Rush song, when I first heard them. Over the years, things have changed somewhat. But still, it's undeniably fantastic.

• Like 3

That's a paddlin'

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/37/378630/the-top-20-simpsons-quotes-to-use-in-conversa-L-Hgezji.jpeg

• Like 2

So let me get this straight.

When Rush writes music, they just sit around and play whatever comes into their minds? Do they hear a tune in their head? Or is it some type of cosmic consciousness and the music just flows?

Remember on the S&A documentary? It showed Alex, after he had returned to the studio from a few days away, sitting at a computer with his guitar and looking at what looked like to me graphs of music so he could figure out his guitar parts. What was that all about?

I'd say the notion of 'cosmic consciousness' is actually pretty close to the mark, yeah- between Ged and Al, anyway, at least. In that same documentary, I got the feeling that they normally come up with a piece of music, and Neil has batches of lyrics that he works on, and edits, and then embellishes, and so forth. But I think the strictly musical ideas flow back and forth like crazy between the two guys in front of the drum kit.
  • Like 1

Remember on the S&A documentary? It showed Alex, after he had returned to the studio from a few days away, sitting at a computer with his guitar and looking at what looked like to me graphs of music so he could figure out his guitar parts. What was that all about?

I don't recall that part- graphs of music...was it sheet music? Could have been he was studying a change in time signature, or the breakdown of notes in a riff from one measure to the next...I don't know.

So let me get this straight.

When Rush writes music, they just sit around and play whatever comes into their minds? Do they hear a tune in their head? Or is it some type of cosmic consciousness and the music just flows?

I have wondered a lot about that process as well. I hope you get some answers! I never got to see the full episode of that PBS Speakeasy show with Geddy and Michael Chabon that aired in only a few cities and I think he talked about it some there. I know in the trailer on Youtube, Geddy was saying that he learned to record everything when he and Alex sit down together because Alex would play amazing "sound scapes" without realizing it. Geddy said he would be saying, "That's a song!" and Alex would be like, "What???"

• Like 1

I don't recall that part- graphs of music...was it sheet music? Could have been he was studying a change in time signature, or the breakdown of notes in a riff from one measure to the next...I don't know.

It was recorded audio for Malignant narcissism that geddy and neil recorded while Alex was dealing with his legal trouble. Alex came in and listened to the recordings and inserted his guitar parts as he thought necessary..kinda sucks imo because if he were at the studio i think the guitar track wouldve been better than what is released
  • Like 1

I don't know that's what it was - graphs - it is what it looked like to me. I always wondered what he was doing and trying to figure out with his guitar by studying it. Whatever "it" was.

It was recorded audio for Malignant narcissism that geddy and neil recorded while Alex was dealing with his legal trouble. Alex came in and listened to the recordings and inserted his guitar parts as he thought necessary..kinda sucks imo because if he were at the studio i think the guitar track wouldve been better than what is released

What was he watching on the screen as he was listening?

I don't know that's what it was - graphs - it is what it looked like to me. I always wondered what he was doing and trying to figure out with his guitar by studying it. Whatever "it" was.

Well, even though they are career musicians, and masters of their respective instruments- I think even a career musician never stops studying and learning. I think that's true in almost every case, whether we fans think about it much, or not.

I mean, I'm a musician, and I experience their music in different senses- I could be thinking about what it requires to play what they play...or I sometimes just enjoy the sound of it, too.

Geddy said the lyrics where kind of goofy (paraphrasing)...you need to take issue with him.

That would be my take as well. Great music, with a well-intended, but somewhat sophomoric lyrics. Classic RUSH!