Rush R40 On The Road w/ Jonathan Dinklage!

ALifeson85

Very cool story. Can't imagine the feeling he had playing a song he learned from a record and played for thirty years, then playing it with the artists who actually wrote it live on stage. What a feeling that must be. Like he said, a bucket list moment.
  • Like 5

You mean the music wasn't written down and he has to learn it by ear?

There a female flutist who plays with the Moodies now (taking Ray Thomas' place), and she once said that isn't easy to do. Not being a musician, I do not know if that is true or not.

Very cool story. Can't imagine the feeling he had playing a song he learned from a record and played for thirty years, then playing it with the artists who actually wrote it live on stage. What a feeling that must be. Like he said, a bucket list moment.

Thanks for the explanation, it was hard for me to understand with the music playing while he was talking.

There a female flutist who plays with the Moodies now (taking Ray Thomas' place), and she once said that isn't easy to do. Not being a musician, I do not know if that is true or not.

He would have learned it by ear from listening to it on the album years ago. That's the typical way to learn it unless it's classical music which is usually written down. Rush wouldn't have written their music down when they composed it.

• Like 3

He said in the video that he bought Signals when it came out and heard Losing it, being a violin player, he learned the violin part the same day. I assume it was by ear. Impressive.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 3

He would have learned it by ear from listening to it on the album years ago. That's the typical way to learn it unless it's classical music which is usually written down. Rush wouldn't have written their music down when they composed it.

Is that true? None of their music is written down? How do they remember it?

I guess for the songs they have really forgotten, they listen to it and are able to figure it by ear ? I may be wrong though.

I guess for the songs they have really forgotten, they listen to it and are able to figure it by ear ? I may be wrong though.

I find that amazing.

• Like 1

I find that amazing.

I think that's true for almost all rock musicians. When you see the tabs and songbooks in music stores, I believe they are written by people who've listened to the records and transcribed the notes by ear. Really, what use would writing the music down have for the band?

I find that amazing.

Sure. The guys in the band would listen to their songs to relearn them. That's generally how it's done. As far as remembering it, you just do. If it's been a long time then you might need a refresher...play it through a few times to get it. I guess it's a different part of your brain than just conscious remembering. Kind of like riding a bike.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

I find that amazing.

I think that's true for almost all rock musicians. When you see the tabs and songbooks in music stores, I believe they are written by people who've listened to the records and transcribed the notes by ear. Really, what use would writing the music down have for the band?

In case they forgot it i guess.

I was just asking. I still find it amazing but, again, I'm not a musician, so I would.

Norda Mullen is awesome. I have talked to her through PM in the past.

• Like 1

Norda Mullen is awesome. I have talked to her through PM in the past.

She is very nice and very down to earth too.

Well, after playing something a few times, and this goes for most (if not all) musicians, you pretty much get the hang of it. It's like riding a bicycle, in a sense. It's all about repetition. "Practice makes perfect," that sort of thing.

Typically if you have come up with something good you will play it so many times it just gets burned into your muscle memory. As a bass player and composer I would typically come up with a series of riffs rhat i could convey naturally thru repitition. its hard to do. Its really hard to find compatible musicians who are able to understand and are able to play what you are trying to show them. The bands rhat actually make it thru theres probably a reason for it. I mean even. Cough. Nickelback. You may think they suck but theres gotta be a reason they are able to convey what they manage to convey to each other and to he people whos apreciate their music.

In addition to being able to figure their own stuff out by ear, there are literally LEGIONS of people out there who have sat down and transcribed their stuff and/or posted videos of themselves playing Rush material. While much of it may not be correct, it'd be easy enough for them to use it as a jumping off point to get the basics of what they played. For myself, I typically sit in front of youtube and try to play along until I have it right.....with various levels of success.

Why did they write it in Gb (G-flat)?!? Thanks, guys. :LOL:

In practical terms, that means two things:

1) if you have a chart, it is written in Gb which means there are six flats (six!). If you're playing on a piano, you have one white key available (the F).

2) as F is your only natural note (six flats!), no open strings for you!

Vital Signs used to drive me crazy for a similar reason (it is written in Eb - 3 flats), which makes the verses labor intensive to play (oh well, deal with it, is what an old bass mentor used to tell me) but also makes the break/bass-solo-ish type thing very cool to play. And, it sounds weird in other keys.

A dream come true for Jonathon! Congratulations to him! Wow! :clap:

Edited by CygnusGal