How many songs was written on Fly By Night before Neil joined?

YYZumbi

I was watching this concert on youtube:

And noticed that they played Best I Can from Fly By Night.

That makes me wonder... how many songs on Fly By Night was written before Neil joined?

Someone that knows?

• Like 2

Most likely just Best I Can, and that's it. Had Garden Road and Fancy Dancer made the album, it's possible those two would've been written before Neil joined. Beneath, Between & Behind was the first song written with Neil in the band.
  • Like 1

Most likely just Best I Can, and that's it. Had Garden Road and Fancy Dancer made the album, it's possible those two would've been written before Neil joined. Beneath, Between & Behind was the first song written with Neil in the band.

Thanks for a great answer! :)

• Like 2

Talk about a great start. Geez... :dweez:
  • Like 6

Thanks for a great answer! :)

Your welcome! :)

• Like 1

Talk about a great start. Geez... :dweez:

Yeah no kidding.

I find it interesting that he thinks that that his writing has progressed over the years and that the things that he wrote about (the sci-fi and literary themes) were because he'd not had much practice. To me, writing about the human experience is not necessarily more mature, it's just different.

• Like 6

In The End and Anthem were written before Neil as well, off the top of my head.

I'm sure the Neil of 2015 would love that to be the case, but I can't believe the Geddy or Alex of 1974 would have written a tribute to Rand.

I distinctly remember reading - or hearing - Geddy talk about trying to get Rutsey to play what we know as Anthem ..

I would think that Geddy and Alex had a lot of riffs and music ready to go prior to Neil joining ... I'll try to find a link in regards to Anthem, but I am 100% sure that they played it with Rutsey - if only just the riffs

• Like 1

Geddy on Anthem:

"This song has one particular memory for me that supersedes all: the first time we ever jammed with Neil [Peart], first time he auditioned for us. Alex and I had written this riff and we had written it back in the day when Rutsey was in the band, and Rutsey wasn't into playing it. It was too complicated and it wasn't his thing. He was more into straight-ahead rock & roll."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/geddy-lee-dives-into-rushs-video-timeline-20131007/anthem-1975-0343441

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I'm sure the Neil of 2015 would love that to be the case, but I can't believe the Geddy or Alex of 1974 would have written a tribute to Rand.

They had the music already and Rutsey didn't like it. They jammed with Neil on it on their first meeting, IIRC. Of course Neil wrote the lyrics, but the song was already written.

• Like 1

Geddy on Anthem:

"This song has one particular memory for me that supersedes all: the first time we ever jammed with Neil [Peart], first time he auditioned for us. Alex and I had written this riff and we had written it back in the day when Rutsey was in the band, and Rutsey wasn't into playing it. It was too complicated and it wasn't his thing. He was more into straight-ahead rock & roll."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/geddy-lee-dives-into-rushs-video-timeline-20131007/anthem-1975-0343441

I took too long typing my answer.

That makes me wonder... how many songs on Fly By Night was written before Neil joined?

Someone that knows?

I love this show ... lucky kids :D

Need Some Love has a touch of Jimmy Page, ya think ?

Edited by Lucas

They had the music already and Rutsey didn't like it. They jammed with Neil on it on their first meeting, IIRC. Of course Neil wrote the lyrics, but the song was already written.

True, though I would imagine they altered it a bit to make it work with Neil's lyrics; the version recorded on FBN probably isn't precisely the same as before Neil came up with the lyrics. Geddy and Alex generally write the music while Neil writes the lyrics anyway, though there's a huge amount of mutual influence and feedback etc. There is a lot of collaboration between the three; Neil will change lyrics to better accommodate the required singing and music and they'll find a way to make music that fits a particular turn of phrase Neil wants to get into the song etc.

They've talked a bit about this in interviews; it's very interesting.

Someone that knows?

I love this show ... lucky kids :D

Need Some Love has a touch of Jimmy Page, ya think ?

Yeah, I am jealous on every kid in that audience. They had no idea what they was watching!

• Like 1

Yeah, I am jealous on every kid in that audience. They had no idea what they was watching!

Agreed.

Off topic:

After watching this concert I have no doubt whatsoever that Rush would have made it with Rutsey drumming. Sure they probably wouldn't have become prog rock gods but as a straight out rock band they kicked ass!

Rush had the musical chops and a groove that was (dare I say it???) danceable with Rutsey.