The most underrated Rush album......

tx_rush

Is Fly By Night. Album is incredible. COS was also considered, but many here rate it extremely high (including myself). Its so raw but rocks so hard, if you havent in a while, listen to it on some good headphones (thanks LedRush) or a good sound system. Definitely a top 10, and in consideration for top 5 album.
  • Like 8

Agree completely

I have no idea why Geddy put it in the basement of the first 9 albums .. Not only is the album underrated, it contains the most underrated song in the entire RUSH catalog - In The End

• Like 3

I agree it is very underrated.

And on that note, I will proudly admit to underrating it myself. It is one of my bottom five Rush albums.

• Like 1

I think The Debut is more underrated from what goes on around here anyway. I do agree however that FBN never gets its just due either...
  • Like 9

Fly By Night is their 'other' debut album- the debut album with Neil in the band.

I like it; sometimes I love it.

They would grow by leaps and bounds over the next year after it, from FBN to 2112.

But it's a good, solid rock n' roll album.

• Like 2

Quick story regarding this sort of. I was driving the new car the other day and my son was with me. There is some fancy way he can play music directly from his phone through the car radio. There were about a half dozen or so songs he played while we were running our errand. Side one ATWAS, Here Again (his fav from the Debut), Something For Nothing, Natural Science (live Rio) and Best I Can. Being he is now a philosophy degree graduate we spent quite a bit of time discussing the songs and their meaning. Great time for old dad spending time with my son and he has great taste in my bands music in my view... :)
  • Like 7

Great album...very underrated...it just happens to be overshadowed by the 2112-MP era but it's better than most everything else.
  • Like 3

Great album...very underrated...it just happens to be overshadowed by the 2112-MP era but it's better than most everything else.

Agreed. It's interesting to see the growth musically of Alex and Geddy from the first LP. Songs are so good and so listenable

• Like 1

Got to agree with the OP on this one. FBN is really overlooked for reasons that are hard to follow. Think about it. The synth era albums get a lot of hate but also a lot of love. Most of the post synth era albums (Prsto - CA) get lots of attention. Lot of love and lots of hate. CoS - through the end of the prog era albums get tons of love. Somehow FBN gets overlooked. Even the original, ST, album seems to get more attention.

And what an album FBN is!! Look at that great set list. Besides the title track you get By-Tor, Anthem, In the End, Beneath, Between & Behind, Rivendell (hey, I like the song even if many others don't!!) and some other good songs. If folks think about the album they seem to say "Yes, Neil joined the band. You get By-Tor and that indicated where the group was going. And better was to come." Perhaps that is all true, but in stopping there they overlook a lot of other great songs on the album.

As another poster said, you can sense Neil's impact on the band right from the start when you compare this very fine album to their ST work. The lyrics are wayyy better and with all 3 members of the band on the same page musically the music is much more interesting / complicated.

Big time overlooked album.

• Like 2

Didn't FBN finish in the top ten when we did that album voting thing a few months ago? I remember it sticking around for a while. So, it certainly seems it's got a good amount of love around here.

As for most underrated album, take your pick of anything from Counterparts through Clockwork Angels.

• Like 1

Didn't FBN finish in the top ten when we did that album voting thing a few months ago? I remember it sticking around for a while. So, it certainly seems it's got a good amount of love around here.

As for most underrated album, take your pick of anything from Counterparts through Clockwork Angels.

yeah CA for sure
  • Like 1

yeah CA for sure

CA and VT. The rest, not so much, especially S&A.

I think it is very underrated, but Snakes and T4E are more so... I love Fly By Night, and it has many gems, and only two absolute losers.

The Fantastic -

Fly By Night

Anthem

In The End

Best I Can

Beneath, Between and Behind

The Great -

Making Memories

The Bad -

By-Tor and The Snow Dog

Rivendell

I think The Debut is more underrated from what goes on around here anyway. I do agree however that FBN never gets its just due either...

I really enjoy the debut album. :huh:

FBN is pretty good too, IMO.

• Like 1

Excellent choice for most underrated album, I would have to agree about FBN. Was just telling my dad to check it out for that reason.
  • Like 2

Is Fly By Night. Album is incredible. COS was also considered, but many here rate it extremely high (including myself). Its so raw but rocks so hard, if you havent in a while, listen to it on some good headphones (thanks LedRush) or a good sound system. Definitely a top 10, and in consideration for top 5 album.

Yep, def FBN over COS. A lot of classic Rush so early on. Their most underrated album for sure. It won't make my Top 5 though...maybe the 10. Good topic.

• Like 1