Good Beginner Bass?

There are a lot of decent lower priced basses. What is your price range? Do you already have an amp?

There are a lot of decent lower priced basses. What is your price range? Do you already have an amp?

Price range I'm thinking $200-$300 and I do not have an amp.

There are a lot of "beginners' packs" out there that come with a bass (I've seen mostly low end Jazz or Precision basses) and an amp and gig bag.

Some words of wisdom:

You can make a crappy bass sound good through a good amp but a good bass will sound crappy through a crappy amp.If that makes sense. The way to go is to buy used. You can get a much better quality instrument and amp if you don't buy new.

That being said, for that kind of price just for the bass, you might want to try out the Squier Classic Vibe basses. You'll still have to buy used, but they're really nice. Both the Precision and the Jazz are really quality instruments. I've had both and would highly recommend them. Stay away from Ibanez basses. A lot of beginners gravitate towards them because of their skinny necks but unless you get up into the $1000 range with them, they're pretty much toys, and they sound generic.

• Like 1

and they sound generic.

Kinda like Geddy Lee on Clockwork Angels right? :D-13: You know I'm just kidding right? Really I'm not, but just keeping the flame alive

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

and they sound generic.

Kinda like Geddy Lee on Clockwork Angels right? :D-13: You know I'm just kidding right? Really I'm not, but just keeping the flame alive

You know the sound of one hand clapping?

• Like 1

I have an Ibanez ATK that I love - I find it very versatile - and that's in your price range (used).

I almost mentioned the ATK wasn't quite the same as an Ibanez SR but I was trying to type all that on my phone. :LOL:

and they sound generic.

You know the sound of one hand clapping?

He does

http://31.media.tumblr.com/04b3fd03e3199a21644919d2954d9c7a/tumblr_n1g0p1nhvx1sg3xpdo1_400.gif

I have an Ibanez ATK that I love - I find it very versatile - and that's in your price range (used).

A great bass for the price

Only thing I didn't care for with the ATK's was the fat necks.

Huh. Maybe that's why I can't play bass worth a damn...

Huh. Maybe that's why I can't play bass worth a damn...

Some like them that way. :)

As a very general rule, you can't go too wrong with the Fender Squire line (guitars and bass). I still use my 25 year old Squire Strat and it still works...mostly. But I damn sure got my money's worth.

I have weekly debates in my head about upgrading to a 'real' strat but my cheap bastard personality wins out over my guitar player personality...mostly because I really don't play much anymore.

As for amp, a cheap Fender or Peavey should do for starters.

• Like 1

As a very general rule, you can't go too wrong with the Fender Squire line (guitars and bass). I still use my 25 year old Squire Strat and it still works...mostly. But I damn sure got my money's worth.

I have weekly debates in my head about upgrading to a 'real' strat but my cheap bastard personality wins out over my guitar player personality...mostly because I really don't play much anymore.

As for amp, a cheap Fender or Peavey should do for starters.

I would agree with the cheap amp for guitar, but for bass you really need to get the most you can for your money. Otherwise you'll be disappointed.

I have a Rouge SX-100 bass. Pretty much a poor man's Wal bass.

I wouldn't go that far. Have you ever played a Wal? :)

You really can't go wrong with a Fender Squire thru a Peavy amp. Good beginners kit. I had a pretty nice bass called a GTX, it had a quick thin neck with decent intonation and thus easy to learn on. Good for that trebbly sound. I graduated up to Ibanez basses and then a Fender Precision. The Ibanez were a notch better than the GTX, you can get some really nice ones, but also they have a less expensive version which is fine if you are learning.
  • Like 1

I have a Rouge SX-100 bass. Pretty much a poor man's Wal bass.

I wouldn't go that far. Have you ever played a Wal? :)

Well that's just judging from the 80s superstrat shape. The Rouge SX-100, even with it's shitty craftsmanship and action, can actually sound halfway decent and almost reminiscent of a Fender Precision according to reviews.

I really liked the Ibanez SR650 Natural flatwound (the strings that were on it were Rounds though). Has a nice thing, heavy string action that I like. That poppy bright mid range sounds awesome, and it's super light as well. Edited by D3strukt

I think for my first bass I'll go for the Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass Special with P and J pickups. From the videos I've seen, it seems like a great bass for $200!

They're not bad but they're neck heavy and tend to neck dive a bit on a strap.