The R40 Newark and New York City Magic Shows

The Cat 3

"Magic" is the correct word for these two shows.

They were just amazing...perhaps two of the best Rush shows that I've ever seen.

Here's why...

*The Setlist(s) - See below if you don't what they played already. I gone on record in the past as saying that I don't particulary care what the band plays as I am equally at home with all of their music. This might not be the case for all people and there truly was something for everyone.

*The Crowd(s) - Although I think Newark was slightly more animated (pun intended), the audiences at both gigs were so into it. As some of you know New York Area crowds can be pretty tough to please and might I say, everyone seemed pleased.

*The Stage Show - How clever and brilliant was it to watch the stage transform as the songs worked their way backwards in time from the "Clockwork Angels Tour" to playing in the Rod Serling High School Gynasium?!

*The Band Itself - Alex, Geddy and Neil just seemed especially tight and inspired at these two shows.

These were "Magic Shows" as Neil wrote in his book, "Roadshow",

"It is a harsh fact of a musician’s life on the road that out of a tour of fifty or sixty shows, only a handful will be "magic." A sublime performance is as rare and mysterious as an astrologer’s planetary confluence, and far less predictable. A set of separate elements in motion must coincide at exactly the same time and place, and like the magic which is supposed to result from planetary confluence and sublime performance, it cannot be summoned on demand."

If, in fact, these were the last two times I am to see this band live, I can honestly say that I am quite content.

Here's a review of the New Jersey show...

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/06/rush_performs_40-year_music_chronology_in_reverse.html

Newark Setlist...

Set 1:

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight (with Drumbastica mini drum solo)

Far Cry

The Main Monkey Business

How It Is

Animate

Roll The Bones

Between the Wheels

Losing It (with Jonathan Dinklage)

Subdivisions

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer

The Camera Eye

The Spirit of Radio

Jacob's Ladder

Cygnus X-1 Book Two: Hemispheres - Prelude

Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Prologue

Drum Solo

Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 3

Closer To The Heart

Xanadu (double neck guitars)

2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

Encore:

Lakeside Park

Anthem

What You're Doing

Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a review of the New York City Show...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/06/rush_brought_th.html

New York City Setlist...

Set 1:

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight (with Drumbastica mini drum solo)

Far Cry

The Main Monkey Business

One Little Victory

Animate

Roll The Bones

Distant Early Warning

Losing It (with Jonathan Dinklage)

Subdivisions

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

The Spirit of Radio

Jacob's Ladder

Cygnus X-1 Book Two: Hemispheres - Prelude

Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Prologue

Drum Solo

Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 3

Closer To The Heart

Xanadu (double neck guitars)

2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

Encore:

Lakeside Park

Anthem

What You're Doing

Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end)

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 7

I'm bummed I missed the MSG show.

I'm disappointed at missing the chance to meet some of my fellow TRFers in Newark.

I'm still buzzing from the Newark show.

Rush is truly a special band.

Monday afternoon I was running errands and my son tagged along. We blasted Rush as we drove along Rt. 9.

Thanks, guys.

• Like 3

The NYC show was simply nothing short of spectacular! I'm still not over that show. I've been listening to bits of tapehead's recording of that night all day today and I'm still smiling over it. I have a bit of regret not going to the Newark show, and I'm little bit sad that I didn't get to hearing experience How It Is, Between The Wheels and another performance of The Camera Eye, but hey I'm happy with the NYC set either way. I'll settle for hearing those alternating songs on the upcoming R40 Tour BluRay. Had money not been a bit tight for me at the time tickets went on sale, I would've gone to that show as well.

Thank you a million times, :rush:! That was simply the best of the 3 Rush tours I've seen. If this is indeed your swan song to touring, you guys went out on a really high note. I have no complaints if that's last :rush: show I see (or at least logistically speaking for myself).

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

I attended both shows and I'm glad I did. I don't think this is the end of touring for Rush. It may be the end of touring as they are used to ( three hour shows with many dates ). Brilliant shows Rush !!!

If this is it...to go out with Clockwork Angels and R40, what a mind blowing epic band.

Newark was insane. THEY ONLY PLAYED 2 from CA...me screaming that for about a half hour. I was surprised that many near me, up close that nite, had no idea why I was ranting about that. My brother was with me that nite. He is a loyal fan but only likes one show per tour. Glad we got the epic violin classic together.

MSG was different for me. I never sat directly across the rink from them, 11 rows off the ice. The sound from that distance was surprisingly loud, giving fair weather fans no chance to chat mindlessly over the music. The light show from that view was mind blowing. Having seen the show in person 4 times, and endlessly on periscope and you tube, to see lights appearing from within lights seemingly in four dimensions on MMB and the Cygnus lights from that straight ahead view, I cannot find words to fully express.

One memory I will never forget at MSG was the crowd during Distant Early Warning of all songs. The crowd was singing OVER Geddy. For a band THAT loud, with the legendary msg acoustics, that is impressive.

Too bad NYC metro did not get Nat Sci, YYZ, CA, Wreckers. Made my thousand miles of driving to 2 shows to get three of those memorable.

Thank you Rush. Never again as a full touring band in North America east of KC. As sad as that is, I somehow am fulfilled and grateful.

• Like 4

I attended just MSG show but its memories will last forever: astonishing concert and great crowd.

Gotta erase from my mind the idea that's going to be last time I've seen RUSH live because is unbereable!

I will fly back home as a happy man anyway.

• Like 1

I am still buzzing from Newark... It truly was a magical show! Once I heard the opening notes to HF as the second song, I lost it (pun definitely intended). Everyone around me in section 7 couldn't figure out why I was flipping the flip out! Also, scopers were worried about me having a heart attack during BTW and Losing it, which was really funny looking back at the messages. I had seen them in Tulsa and Philly, and this show by far blew me a away even after seeing the same show twice!!! There was something in the air that night!

Newark and MSG were my 14th and 15th Rush shows, I've seen just about every tour since Grace Under Pressure (I missed R30) - I have to say, of all the tours and all the shows, the MSG show was by far the best concert I have ever been to...by any band, ever! It was magical!

Newark (was not at MSG) was certainly magical. Hard to put into words how awesome it was. Even being right behind Michael Moore didn't ruin it any bit. Like other have said, if that was my final time seeing a band that has meant so much to me for 29 years, I'm glad to have gone out like that.
  • Like 1

I must say, that Fireglo doubleneck of Geddy's looked cool in pictures but when I saw it in person at the MSG show, it looked really f***ing awesome, especially with the gold anodized pickguard on there.

I took a few picture at MSG, this one is my favorite!

IMG_0616.jpg

Nice pic! What section was that from?

IMG_0616.jpg

Section 103, row 17. Across the arena. My point and shoot camera has a great zoom :-)

IMG_0616.jpg

Section 103, row 17. Across the arena. My point and shoot camera has a great zoom :-)

Great pic from there, I was in 102 row 14, it looked very similar to my view, but much closer!

I loved the NYC show... flew across the country just for it. However, I am disappointed that they didn't play The Camera Eye. That should have been in the NYC set list, not NJ.

I loved the NYC show... flew across the country just for it. However, I am disappointed that they didn't play The Camera Eye. That should have been in the NYC set list, not NJ.

Yeah was quite a bummer considering had they not switched up the setlist roatations Newark would've gotten NYC's setlist while NYC would've had Newark's setlist. Still nothing to complain about for me cause it's always great to hear Red Barchetta live especially now since Ged played it with the Rickenbacker. If anything, I was quite a bit sad that I didn't get to hear How It Is live cause that's my favorite off Vapor Trails quite honestly.

Edited by PolarizeMe

I never really gave 'How It Is' or 'The Wreckers' a good listen before this tour started and I now have a new appreciation for both of those songs. Too bad we didn't get to hear them in NYC.

I never really gave 'How It Is' or 'The Wreckers' a good listen before this tour started and I now have a new appreciation for both of those songs. Too bad we didn't get to hear them in NYC.

I missed hearing "The Wreckers" but having heard it multiple times on the last tour and having it on the CD/DVD softened that blow.

Loved hearing "How It Is" though. Didn't think I'd ever hear anything new live from Vapor Trails ever again.

• Like 1