What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

My sister is on her way to a funeral.  Her best friend lost her teenage niece to a drug overdose. 

The girl was partying with her mother, who is not cooperating with the police.   :sad:  :angry:  :facepalm:

30 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

My sister is on her way to a funeral.  Her best friend lost her teenage niece to a drug overdose. 

The girl was partying with her mother, who is not cooperating with the police.   :sad:  :angry:  :facepalm:

I'm so sorry for your sister and her friend's family, as that sounds awful for so many reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'm so sorry for your sister and her friend's family, as that sounds awful for so many reasons.

Indeed....the girl's father was a major drug abuser for many years, but he has reportedly been clean for a few years.  He does get to deal with the six other kids he's fathered via several different women, so he has that going for him, which is nice.    

5 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Hugs to your sister and her best friend. That's such a huge loss to have to deal with. 

• Like 4

I got the news of David Crosby's death today and it makes me sad, even though he had a much longer life than there was any reason to expect.  I had the very strange experience of meeting Mr. Crosby on Jan 28, 1986, the day of the Challenger disaster, in the Dallas Co. jail. I had been in jail for a couple of weeks and Crosby was there having turned himself in on a gun charge that he had been on the run from for several years. Crosby was an inpatient in the jail hospital drying out from whatever drug addiction he was currently battling, (probably heroin) and I was down there to see a doctor as I was ill. In between the inpatient and outpatient areas was a large glass window.  While I was waiting for the doctor to call on me, Crosby shuffled up to the window looking like death on a cracker. He waved me over to the window and pointed at the TV which of course was showing the Challenger explosion, about the only thing that was on TV that day and which I had already seen about 100 times. I shook my head and shrugged, and he responded in kind.  I silently mouthed "I love your art" and put my fist to my chest, which he seemed to understand and smiled and mouthed "thank you". he put his hand to the window, and I responded in kind, and we had a bit of a moment. I started singing Wooden Ships and he responded with the middle harmony (of course) and though I knew it would bring the guards in there I couldn't stop. I was singing harmony with David Crosby!  It lasted about 30 seconds before the guards put a stop to it by pulling me back to my seat. Crosby just walked away from the window, still singing and I continued singing as well. The guards were not impressed, but the nurse that came to see me was. She said, "Wow you can really sing", i said, "yeah, I know". LOL :sundog:

• Like 9

On 1/22/2023 at 8:13 PM, invisible airwave said:

Another mass shooting and it's 30 miles west of me on the 10 in Monterey Park.  Inland, San Gabriel or wherever, this needs to stop right the F now:banghead:. The NRA can KMA.

I'm quite sure the NRA could KYA, but they are not at all likely to unless you give them a very good reason.   

This morning I heard the news reports of the earthquake in Turkey/Syria and got upset. I donated a small amount to Doctors Without Borders, my finances are lame but I felt so bad hearing about the destruction. I grew up fearing earthquakes (California) so it hits close to home. Seems like a bad thing to say given the severity of this event, but we need to remember others. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

This morning I heard the news reports of the earthquake in Turkey/Syria and got upset. I donated a small amount to Doctors Without Borders, my finances are lame but I felt so bad hearing about the destruction. I grew up fearing earthquakes (California) so it hits close to home. Seems like a bad thing to say given the severity of this event, but we need to remember others. 

:sad: It's hard to imagine the destruction and sorrow facing the people of that area. A lot of help will be needed. Well done with the donation.

• Like 3

My SIL passed last year on Mother's Day, she had the sweetest rescue dog named Benji.  He has been a big comfort to her spouse.  Today Benji had to be put to sleep due terminal illness.  It made me cry because I feel so bad for "G" losing his only companion after losing his spouse.  Life stinks sometimes :sad:

• Like 5

My good friend's father died yesterday.  Her mom died in November.  They were both like 80.

I can't think of anything worse.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Laurabw said:

My good friend's father died yesterday.  Her mom died in November.  They were both like 80.

So awful, to lose them so close together.  My heart hurts for the family :hug2:

• Like 4

On 2/9/2023 at 5:45 AM, Rhyta said:

My SIL passed last year on Mother's Day, she had the sweetest rescue dog named Benji.  He has been a big comfort to her spouse.  Today Benji had to be put to sleep due terminal illness.  It made me cry because I feel so bad for "G" losing his only companion after losing his spouse.  Life stinks sometimes :sad:

Sending wishes for comfort to you and G. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet.  :hug2:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Laurabw said:

Hugs to your friend! What a difficult transition for her; I'm sure your support means a lot to her.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blueschica said:

Hugs to your friend! What a difficult transition for her; I'm sure your support means a lot to her.

There’s just nothing to say, you know? So sad.

Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 4:19 AM, Weakly Criminal said:

I got the news of David Crosby's death today and it makes me sad, even though he had a much longer life than there was any reason to expect.  I had the very strange experience of meeting Mr. Crosby on Jan 28, 1986, the day of the Challenger disaster, in the Dallas Co. jail. I had been in jail for a couple of weeks and Crosby was there having turned himself in on a gun charge that he had been on the run from for several years. Crosby was an inpatient in the jail hospital drying out from whatever drug addiction he was currently battling, (probably heroin) and I was down there to see a doctor as I was ill. In between the inpatient and outpatient areas was a large glass window.  While I was waiting for the doctor to call on me, Crosby shuffled up to the window looking like death on a cracker. He waved me over to the window and pointed at the TV which of course was showing the Challenger explosion, about the only thing that was on TV that day and which I had already seen about 100 times. I shook my head and shrugged, and he responded in kind.  I silently mouthed "I love your art" and put my fist to my chest, which he seemed to understand and smiled and mouthed "thank you". he put his hand to the window, and I responded in kind, and we had a bit of a moment. I started singing Wooden Ships and he responded with the middle harmony (of course) and though I knew it would bring the guards in there I couldn't stop. I was singing harmony with David Crosby!  It lasted about 30 seconds before the guards put a stop to it by pulling me back to my seat. Crosby just walked away from the window, still singing and I continued singing as well. The guards were not impressed, but the nurse that came to see me was. She said, "Wow you can really sing", i said, "yeah, I know". LOL :sundog:

That's mint. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

The realization that long delayed dental cannot be delayed much longer.  This after a 3 tooth bridge pulled loose from its "permanent" bond point.  I'm in no pain, the bridge fits back on, and the monetary aspects are not a concern, just the hassle of it all.  "I'm getting too old for this shit!"

• Like 2

My Aunt Carolyn passed away this morning.  She was more than ready to depart, as her health had declined very much over the past year or two. 

She is the last of my father's siblings to pass away.  Three of my parents' generation still remain:  My mother and two aunts.    

Inspired by psychologist Sean Maguire, I can fully remember one of my aunt's "imperfections".  I will never forget when Aunt Carolyn and a girlfriend of hers came up to visit about 30 years ago.  My old man, Aunt Carolyn and her friend were all heavy smokers, and they literally filled the lower level of the house with smoke.  A small window fan on the far end of the lower level tried its best to ventilate the area, but with little success.  There was a solid layer of smoke about four feet above the floor.  When I came over to visit, I stayed upstairs!  I only went downstairs for very brief visits, then back upstairs for air.....:biggrin:      

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

My Aunt Carolyn passed away this morning.  She was more than ready to depart, as her health had declined very much over the past year or two. 

She is the last of my father's siblings to pass away.  Three of my parents' generation still remain:  My mother and two aunts.    

Inspired by psychologist Sean Maguire, I can fully remember one of my aunt's "imperfections".  I will never forget when Aunt Carolyn and a girlfriend of hers came up to visit about 30 years ago.  My old man, Aunt Carolyn and her friend were all heavy smokers, and they literally filled the lower level of the house with smoke.  A small window fan on the far end of the lower level tried its best to ventilate the area, but with little success.  There was a solid layer of smoke about four feet above the floor.  When I came over to visit, I stayed upstairs!  I only went downstairs for very brief visits, then back upstairs for air.....:biggrin:      

I'm sorry to hear of your loss- your aunt sounds memorable!  :hug2:   It's hard to see that generation go. My dad grew up with 12 first cousins, and he and his cousin Mary and her brother were the last 3 left a few years ago. Now just the one, Al, is left; we hope to get a visit in with him. 

• Like 3

Sorry for your loss, it really hits home when you remember so many details of your own life intertwined with your relatives.  My husband lost his sister last year so he is the only remaining member of his family and it hit him hard.  I am the oldest member of mine now and it is still hard to believe that so many have left us.

Sincere condolences  may she rest in peace :rose:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

Very sad to report the loss of our furry buddy Rusty, (14) diabetes took it's toll on him.  Such a sweet kitty, he was a TNR rescue that we took care of outside for about 5 years and then he came inside to be with our kitty family.  He was a ginger colored cutie and he was a big love.  Once he came in to live with us, he really bonded with my hubby and followed him all over the house.  He even would climb under the covers to cuddle, making it hard to read :wink:.  We knew it was coming but that still doesn't make it any easier.  RIP :rose:

It is fitting that his passing was on the one year anniversary of Ron Weasley our cream colored British Shorthair leaving us.  Guess he wanted to go see him...:sad::sigh::heart:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Very sad to report the loss of our furry buddy Rusty, (14) diabetes took it's toll on him.  Such a sweet kitty, he was a TNR rescue that we took care of outside for about 5 years and then he came inside to be with our kitty family.  He was a ginger colored cutie and he was a big love.  Once he came in to live with us, he really bonded with my hubby and followed him all over the house.  He even would climb under the covers to cuddle, making it hard to read :wink:.  We knew it was coming but that still doesn't make it any easier.  RIP :rose:

It is fitting that his passing was on the one year anniversary of Ron Weasley our cream colored British Shorthair leaving us.  Guess he wanted to go see him...:sad::sigh::heart:

I'm so sad to hear this,; hugs to you and your husband, Rhyta.  Losing a pet is difficult, and in our house it was a bit harder when we lost the one that was a rescue. Ginger cats are so handsome! Our first cat ever was an orange and white tabby, Pink. (we were kids, go figure.). RIP Rusty and Ron Weasley, :rose: what a loss.

• Like 3