What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Remembering my father on the anniversary of his death.  1976 to 1978, can't remember exact year, but before '79, when he would have reached 65 (and 108 now).   RIP, Dad.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Remembering my father on the anniversary of his death.  1976 to 1978, can't remember exact year, but before '79, when he would have reached 65 (and 108 now).   RIP, Dad.

:rose:

Just got back from a long weekend in the Cincinnati area.   Had a great time, attended my wonderful niece's wedding, saw friends and family....

But I also learned about some of my friends' current family dramas, in particular my good friend, Diane, and how her daughter (Ali) and son-in-law have become Trump fanatics.  The daughter is still fairly sociable, but her husband has disowned everyone who disagrees with him.  We always got along well, but I don't think I'll be seeing him ever again.  :sad:   

On 9/27/2022 at 8:13 PM, Principled Man said:

Just got back from a long weekend in the Cincinnati area.   Had a great time, attended my wonderful niece's wedding, saw friends and family....

But I also learned about some of my friends' current family dramas, in particular my good friend, Diane, and how her daughter (Ali) and son-in-law have become Trump fanatics.  The daughter is still fairly sociable, but her husband has disowned everyone who disagrees with him.  We always got along well, but I don't think I'll be seeing him ever again.  :sad:   

:sad: That's sad. I'd choose people before politics and isms, and I can feel your disappointment.

A FB page for my high school put up a revised addition of "The Memorial Wall" showing information regarding decceased graduates.  It was sad scrolling through  the list, seeing names of friends and acquaintances with their dates and causes of death:  disaese, accidents, KIA Vietnam (I graduated in 1968), even a murder. So many losses :sad:.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:16 AM, pjbear05 said:

A FB page for my high school put up a revised addition of "The Memorial Wall" showing information regarding decceased graduates.  It was sad scrolling through  the list, seeing names of friends and acquaintances with their dates and causes of death:  disaese, accidents, KIA Vietnam (I graduated in 1968), even a murder. So many losses :sad:.

Truly a sad list. :sad:

• Like 1

There was an incident at the supermarket I always go to.  It was like something from a horror movie.  I asked a girl who was working there what happened.  Someone took a sledgehammer and broke most of the windows at night when the store was closed.  It was a guy who was mad because he was caught shoplifting.  He wanted to get his revenge.  The store is still open but with all the yellow tape around it, it looks like a crime scene.  Restoration crews are working overtime to repair all the damage.  Yikes!!!!  :scared::scared::scared::scared:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krystal said:

There was an incident at the supermarket I always go to.  It was like something from a horror movie.  I asked a girl who was working there what happened.  Someone took a sledgehammer and broke most of the windows at night when the store was closed.  It was a guy who was mad because he was caught shoplifting.  He wanted to get his revenge.  The store is still open but with all the yellow tape around it, it looks like a crime scene.  Restoration crews are working overtime to repair all the damage.  Yikes!!!!  :scared::scared::scared::scared:

It's getting so nowhere is immune from the crazies, sorry to hear about this.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:16 PM, pjbear05 said:

Very sad.  I remember right after I had graduated from high school, we lost a couple of classmates to drug overdoses.  I am sure our ranks have thinned out even more now.  What's getting to me lately is I see celebrities ages who have passed on and realize I am older than some of them.  :unsure:

Edited by Rhyta

I can't use quotes for some reason.  They get a lot of crazy people at that particular location.  That's why I always try to be nice to their staff even when they overcharge me or I have to bag my own stuff. I know what they put up with on a daily basis.   I don't need to add to their stress.  

• Like 1

Went to my nephew's wedding last Friday, was lovely.  Monday we found out the bride's parents and 3 others in the wedding party tested positive for Covid.  My husband got sick and after badgering him to go to urgent care, we both tested positive for Covid.  Thankfully we both had both shots and 2 boosters or it could have been worse.  So tired, it really is sad that this is still happening.  2119 people in my county tested positive the day we did.  Looks like Fall surge again :unsure:

• Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, Rhyta said:

Went to my nephew's wedding last Friday, was lovely.  Monday we found out the bride's parents and 3 others in the wedding party tested positive for Covid.  My husband got sick and after badgering him to go to urgent care, we both tested positive for Covid.  Thankfully we both had both shots and 2 boosters or it could have been worse.  So tired, it really is sad that this is still happening.  2119 people in my county tested positive the day we did.  Looks like Fall surge again :unsure:

Wishing quick healing for you and your husband!   I know so many people (Including husband and myself) that did everything right but got it this year, it is just that contagious I think. I hope you guys are doing ok and feel better soon. :hug2:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2022 at 3:55 AM, Rhyta said:

I'm sad to hear this. :sad: I hope you both feel better already. 

• Like 2

I think I blew a client interview. Not entirely my fault, the client wasn't clear about what he's looking for, and when I tactfully tried to get it out of him he started getting uncomfortable.

We probably don't want to do business with him anyway, given that behavior. But I still don't like it when i can't pull out a client meeting.

Vodka tonight.  That will cheer me up.

Vodka, some Steven King and I've got a hankering for some Exit Stage Left.   Yeah, that's the ticket.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grep said:

I think I blew a client interview. Not entirely my fault, the client wasn't clear about what he's looking for, and when I tactfully tried to get it out of him he started getting uncomfortable.

We probably don't want to do business with him anyway, given that behavior. But I still don't like it when i can't pull out a client meeting.

Vodka tonight.  That will cheer me up.

Vodka, some Steven King and I've got a hankering for some Exit Stage Left.   Yeah, that's the ticket.

And am now deep into that Vodka, reading Black House and giving it the chance I didn't more than a decade ago, and grooving to the majesty that is ESL. (Which according to iTunes I haven't listened to since May 25)

Peace peeps. All is well here at Grep central. At least until Monday. :)

p/g

Edited by grep

The other thing I'd mention, and this is from last week.  The second person from my high school peer group died last week.  Heart attack. Widowmaker. Just dropped dead.

Last year one of my wife's friends passed from Breast Cancer.  We are all mid-50's.

So yeah, it's official, the bell curve is here. Gen-X as f***ing cool as we are, are starting to die off.   What, in the actual f**k?

Edited by grep

On 11/4/2022 at 11:58 PM, grep said:

The other thing I'd mention, and this is from last week.  The second person from my high school peer group died last week.  Heart attack. Widowmaker. Just dropped dead.

Last year one of my wife's friends passed from Breast Cancer.  We are all mid-50's.

So yeah, it's official, the bell curve is here. Gen-X as f***ing cool as we are, are starting to die off.   What, in the actual f**k?

Heartfelt condolences to you both. That is tough, for sure. I have a high school reunion coming up, and the committee was collecting names of people that have passed- I was surprised at how many they were, we are only early 60s. :old:

• Like 3

On 11/6/2022 at 12:07 AM, blueschica said:

Heartfelt condolences to you both. That is tough, for sure. I have a high school reunion coming up, and the committee was collecting names of people that have passed- I was surprised at how many they were, we are only early 60s. :old:

Thank you.

Condolences to you and your peer group too. None of this is easy.

• Like 1

Lost one of my favorite beer halls with news of closing of Khoffner Brewery in Ft. Lauderdale.  Owner Ralf Khoffner declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy last month "for personal reasons".  A new brewery, Dream State, will open in its place in Lauderdale's Sistrunk Marketplace later this month.

5 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Lost one of my favorite beer halls with news of closing of Khoffner Brewery in Ft. Lauderdale.  Owner Ralf Khoffner declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy last month "for personal reasons".  A new brewery, Dream State, will open in its place in Lauderdale's Sistrunk Marketplace later this month.

:sad: :sad:

My sister tested positive for covid yesterday after spending 6 hours in a car with my mom. Mom is ok, thankfully, but she doesn't understand why we all can't get together and eat Mexican in our family room tonight. We're supposed to kind of isolate from each other for 5 days. :sad:

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:22 PM, blueschica said:

My sister tested positive for covid yesterday after spending 6 hours in a car with my mom. Mom is ok, thankfully, but she doesn't understand why we all can't get together and eat Mexican in our family room tonight. We're supposed to kind of isolate from each other for 5 days. :sad:

I am so sorry to hear this.

Many people seem to think that COVID is over... it aint'.   Damned ultra communicable virus.

I hope your sister gets over it quickly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grep said:

I am so sorry to hear this.

Many people seem to think that COVID is over... it aint'.   Damned ultra communicable virus.

I hope your sister gets over it quickly.

Thank you! She was able to get paxlovid pretty quickly and is doing ok so far, and mom is negative so far,  but I do wish my sister had thought ahead and worn a mask :banghead:  or at least tested,  my mom is elderly. Has gone ok so far  luckily.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1