What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

50 minutes ago, HomesickAlien said:

I'm aware this will make me seem superstitious, but today I'm certain I smelled a whiff of 24 Faubourg by Hermes, which was my mother's favorite perfume. She passed away almost five years ago. 

This occurs only on rare occasion, maybe once or twice a year. It happened at the local library about a year ago, and when I told the person I was sitting with she said she didn't smell anything.

I'm not religious, but it always gives me an eerie feeling.

:hug2:

• Like 2

I keep seeing my cat Ron who has been gone a couple of months.  He always came out in the front room in the evenings when we were watching tv, I could swear I saw his cream colored tail go past the coffee table several times this week.  I miss him so much, he was my best buddy.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rhyta said:

I keep seeing my cat Ron who has been gone a couple of months.  He always came out in the front room in the evenings when we were watching tv, I could swear I saw his cream colored tail go past the coffee table several times this week.  I miss him so much, he was my best buddy.

That has happened with both a dog and cat of mine. The dog was usually lying on the couch when I would get home from work. So, whenever I would walk towards the living room I would see him out of the corner of my eye. But then once I put my head up straight and looked right at the couch, he was no longer there. My cat made noises in the house for about a month or two after he died. I co-own the house with my brother and he said he would hear things too that sounded like the something was moving around or making random noise under a dresser or bed. Then one day I was watching TV and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something light brown (the color of the cat's fur) appear on the floor in front of me. When I looked down it was gone. We never heard any noises in the house again or saw any other signs he was around after that. I guess that was his way of finally saying bye to me.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rhyta said:

:hug2:  :hug2:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

That has happened with both a dog and cat of mine. The dog was usually lying on the couch when I would get home from work. So, whenever I would walk towards the living room I would see him out of the corner of my eye. But then once I put my head up straight and looked right at the couch, he was no longer there. My cat made noises in the house for about a month or two after he died. I co-own the house with my brother and he said he would hear things too that sounded like the something was moving around or making random noise under a dresser or bed. Then one day I was watching TV and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something light brown (the color of the cat's fur) appear on the floor in front of me. When I looked down it was gone. We never heard any noises in the house again or saw any other signs he was around after that. I guess that was his way of finally saying bye to me.

:hug2: :hug2:

• Like 2

After one of my cats passed away, I would wake up in the middle of the night and swear I saw him curled up, sleeping on the closet floor. The closet has two sets of folding doors, and I always kept one side open. I just dismissed it as being half-asleep, and also the room was only dimly lit with a nightlight. It could have been the play of light and shadow, combined with my imagination. It happened frequently enough that I eventually kept the closet door closed!

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 7:31 AM, Steevo said:

Lorraine. 

On 5/28/2022 at 10:58 AM, laughedatbytime said:

:yes:

Sometimes I'll read a post and chuckle to myself when I imagine what her response would be.

If Lorraine saw this... 

• Like 3

Almost everything I see on the news today.  

• Like 1

Just realized it was 6 years ago today my Mom left this world.  Doesn't seem that long but it still makes me sad and I just miss her so much.  She would be having the time of her life right now with her favorite team the Colorado Avalanche almost in the Finals for the Cup.

I'm cheering them on for you Mom, love you :rose::heart:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

So little mention of D-Day yesterday.  When I brought it up to people they had no idea.  One person (a teacher) said she thought it was in December.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, goose said:

So little mention of D-Day yesterday.  When I brought it up to people they had no idea.  One person (a teacher) said she thought it was in December.

After being shamed all day the White House issued a Tweet at 8:45pm. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goose said:

I would expect D-Day will be remembered from now as a plot point in S6 of Better Call Saul.

On 6/6/2022 at 5:42 PM, Rhyta said:

Just realized it was 6 years ago today my Mom left this world.  Doesn't seem that long but it still makes me sad and I just miss her so much.  She would be having the time of her life right now with her favorite team the Colorado Avalanche almost in the Finals for the Cup.

I'm cheering them on for you Mom, love you :rose::heart:

As we lose more relatives, it seems bittersweet memories become a part of everyday life.

My great aunt and uncle had a weekend place in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. To this day I look back with great fondness on the times we spent up there during the summer, even though they both passed away when I was a teenager. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goose said:

So brave.

As brave as the the Former President who called fallen World War I veterans "losers" and "suckers" while canceling a 2018 trip to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetary in France?

Biden had a son serve in the Military and died due to exposure to toxic burn pits.  TGF's progeny did what?  Going on safari at tax payers expense.  :glare:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 2:35 AM, Rhyta said:

Biden had a son serve in the Military and died due to exposure to toxic burn pits.  TGF's progeny did what?  Going on safari at tax payers expense.  :glare:

Serious question, how do you know that's true?  I ask because I've never actually heard anyone (other than Biden) definitively link his brain cancer to "toxic burn pits."  I know the type of brain cancer he had is actually the most common form, and I know he had a stroke a few years before he was diagnosed with cancer.  Don't get me a wrong, I'm a father and the thought of losing a child for ANY reason is horrifying.  I just know Biden has been criticized for making that statement.

20 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Serious question, how do you know that's true?  I ask because I've never actually heard anyone (other than Biden) definitively link his brain cancer to "toxic burn pits."  I know the type of brain cancer he had is actually the most common form, and I know he had a stroke a few years before he was diagnosed with cancer.  Don't get me a wrong, I'm a father and the thought of losing a child for ANY reason is horrifying.  I just know Biden has been criticized for making that statement.

Come on, man.   Joe would never lie about any of the circumstances around events causing the death of his children.

35 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Anecdotal story, but  a good friend's husband was in the service and exposed to those burn pit chemicals. He passed away in his early 40s of multiple cancers, leaving kids behind. I think I just heard today that the VA medical offices are now required to ask about burn pit exposure and possible symptoms; I'm  glad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueschica said:

Anecdotal story, but  a good friend's husband was in the service and exposed to those burn pit chemicals. He passed away in his early 40s of multiple cancers, leaving kids behind. I think I just heard today that the VA medical offices are now required to ask about burn pit exposure and possible symptoms; I'm  glad.

I don't know much about this, "science-wise," but it seems like burn pits can certainly be linked to cancer.  I just have never heard anyone other than Joe Biden affirmatively link Beau Biden's cancer to his time in the military.  I think you want to be careful about saying X caused Y if you don't know that's true.  It doesn't make the event any less tragic if he got sick through no fault of anyone.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

I don't know much about this, "science-wise," but it seems like burn pits can certainly be linked to cancer.  I just have never heard anyone other than Joe Biden affirmatively link Beau Biden's cancer to his time in the military.  I think you want to be careful about saying X caused Y if you don't know that's true.  It doesn't make the event any less tragic if he got sick through no fault of anyone.

I found this article from Military Times and there are many veterans who have been trying to get coverage for cancers they believe are related to burn pits.  I commented on Beau's cancer from memory but President Biden never actually said it was linked but he believed it may have been.   https://www.militarytimes.com/news/burn-pits/2022/03/29/what-are-military-burn-pits-and-why-are-veterans-worried-about-them/

He mentioned the subject in his State of the Union address and pledged funds to help. Jon Stewart has also been lobbying for vets on this subject.

I think Beau served our country and it was rather coincidental that he was healthy before his deployment and then a few years after his service in Afghanistan he becomes ill.  We will never know definitively but he deserves respect for his service nonetheless.  That was the point of my original post.

Edited by Rhyta

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

I found this article from Military Times and there are many veterans who have been trying to get coverage for cancers they believe are related to burn pits.  I commented on Beau's cancer from memory but President Biden never actually said it was linked but he believed it may have been.   https://www.militarytimes.com/news/burn-pits/2022/03/29/what-are-military-burn-pits-and-why-are-veterans-worried-about-them/

He mentioned the subject in his State of the Union address and pledged funds to help. Jon Stewart has also been lobbying for vets on this subject.

I think Beau served our country and it was rather coincidental that he was healthy before his deployment and then a few years after his service in Afghanistan he becomes ill.  We will never know definitively but he deserves respect for his service nonetheless.  That was the point of my original post.

My nephew recently finished treatment at Dana Farber Cancer Center for Hodgkins Lymphoma.  He was 13 when he was diagnosed, and he was healthy before that.  My paternal grandparents both died of brain cancer, although neither smoked and my grandfather was out of the military about 25 years when he got sick.

I asked because parents of children who were killed in action who met Biden were very critical of Biden for bringing up his son's death during their meeting.  Their complaint was that he seemed to be doing it to suggest he sympathized with them, as if he too lost a son because of his military service.   Biden has a history of adding elements to already tragic circumstances for what some might say are cynical reasons.  His first wife and daughter were killed in a tragic automobile accident.  They were not killed by someone who "liked to drink his lunch," as Biden said.  The officers investigating the accident said there was no evidence the other driver was intoxicated, and the other driver's family has been very critical of Biden for suggesting their father was drunk.

To be honest, I inferred that the point of your original post was that Trump's kids are bad people, as compared to Biden's "heroic," children.  Which, as I'm quite sure you know, is an odd point to make, particularly with regard to one of Biden's sons.  I agree that people who serve the country honorably deserve respect for that sacrifice.  And, as I said, Beau Biden's death isn't less tragic if he got cancer for the same reason my grandparents did.

Full disclosure, I don't like Joe Biden.  Not because I like Trump, I've never voted for Trump.  Because he's the kind of person who lies about being admitted to Annapolis so he can be, "one of the gang," (which sort of explains why he might do things like claim his son died in action when speaking to parents whose sons really did).   Because he's the kind of person who has a granddaughter he refuses to recognize because he doesn't like her mother.  Because having been aware of him since about 1988, I think he's a dishonest blowhard who was repurposed as "good ole Uncle Joe," to defeat Trump, although that is not who he is.

• Like 2

Much more serious matters for me to worry about... my "wife" shut my favourite cat in my living room last night, and my poor baby had no choice but to empty his bowels on my sofa. I don`t blame him... :no: