What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Started the long road of work on the house with plumbing. Found out I need a new water heater, new main water shut off valve, new shut off valves for 1 bathroom and kitchen water lines, new bathroom and kitchen faucets, and new stems/washers for shower. Plumbing contractor doing some repairs today, but most will be done in one shot next Thursday. It will cost a bit, but it needs doing!
  • Like 1

A childhood friend just lost an adult child to an overdose. :( They had had some problems in the past, but were doing much better and they were all hoping for the best. It turns out it was a fentanyl overdose. It's just really tragic for the family left behind.

Turns out fentanyl really is everywhere and it's a cheap way to cut heroin and other drugs. A friend of mine that is an EMT says it is in street pills as well, like Adderall or Xanax that kids buy from the internet. He said, tell your kids to take NOTHING if it didn't come from your own pharmacy. It's a good warning. I told my sister's kids that, they are in college and I know students share Adderall or anxiety drugs sometimes (along with other things, but they have legal weed in their state so not too much of that.) :( :(

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

That is horrible, BC. So sorry for their loss.

I talk with my son about substance use all the time. I remember being around drugs,, and watching how people changed...that kept me from indulging. I ask my son what I used to ask myself, what if you like it? Then what?

• Like 2

That is horrible, BC. So sorry for their loss.

I talk with my son about substance use all the time. I remember being around drugs,, and watching how people changed...that kept me from indulging. I ask my son what I used to ask myself, what if you like it? Then what?

I think that's very wise. Hopefully when parents talk about substance abuse then the kids know you are there as a source of information and someone to talk to. There are alcohol problems in my extended family and we talked about it with the kids quite a bit but we got lucky as well, they don't seem too interested.

• Like 1

Sacramento mass shooting. Round and round we go……

He would be a guest every week on Stephanie Miller’s SiriusXM show and Hurt So Good would be his intro song. Same day Stephanie’s dog died of leukemia. Listening right now and she started out in tears so my condolences are especially for her. Her usual Walking on Sunshine song intro for the show as replaced by I’ll Remember by Madonna for today.

RIP

http:// https://thehill.com/news/media/3261277-media-critic-eric-boehlert-dies-in-bike-collision-at-57/

• Like 1

He would be a guest every week on Stephanie Miller’s SiriusXM show and Hurt So Good would be his intro song. Same day Stephanie’s dog died of leukemia. Listening right now and she started out in tears so my condolences are especially for her. Her usual Walking on Sunshine song intro for the show as replaced by I’ll Remember by Madonna for today.

RIP

https://thehill.com/news/media/3261277-media-critic-eric-boehlert-dies-in-bike-collision-at-57/

Such sad news, he was a smart guy and accomplished journalist.

Sorry for Stephanie losing her dog, I am still mourning my cat so I understand how she feels.

• Like 2

How does one get hit by a train?

Somebody pushed him? Suffered a medical event and stumbled onto the track? Or he was completely oblivious to his surroundings.

I have no clue who that person was but it's certainly a suspicious cause of death.

RIP

https://thehill.com/...ollision-at-57/

Sorry for Stephanie losing her dog, I am still mourning my cat so I understand how she feels.

I've had a cat for years but I still miss my black cat that I lost 14 years ago. I have her ashes in a box.

• Like 1

How does one get hit by a train?

Somebody pushed him? Suffered a medical event and stumbled onto the track? Or he was completely oblivious to his surroundings.

I have no clue who that person was but it's certainly a suspicious cause of death.

He was riding his bike and was struck by a train. Perhaps he tried to beat the train and misjudged. He was known for riding his bike alot so it would seem he knew his way around the area but :sigh:

RIP

I've had a cat for years but I still miss my black cat that I lost 14 years ago. I have her ashes in a box.

I just picked his ashes up a couple of weeks ago, I have several other cats whose ashes are on my mantle. They were the ones I had a special connection to and I miss them all.

• Like 3

RIP

I just picked his ashes up a couple of weeks ago, I have several other cats whose ashes are on my mantle. They were the ones I had a special connection to and I miss them all.

I used to bury my cats in the garden, but that`s no good now as I`ve moved too many times. Ashes on mantelpieces is the way to go. The price for cloning is about $38,000, but I probably wouldn`t ever do that as the personality, and how they make you feel, is the irreplaceable thing and the thing you remember.
  • Like 1

Pulled a bankers box from a storage space above Karen's clothes closet.  It was packed full of photographs, mostly from the 90's, of friends and family functions and the vacations we took back then.

So many venues-Vegas and Arizona, Yellowstone/Cody/Grand Tetons/Jackson Hole,  Minneapolis/St Paul/Split Rock/Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and other Michigan trips-and so many memories of good old days now just a memory.

7 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Pulled a bankers box from a storage space above Karen's clothes closet.  It was packed full of photographs, mostly from the 90's, of friends and family functions and the vacations we took back then.

So many venues-Vegas and Arizona, Yellowstone/Cody/Grand Tetons/Jackson Hole,  Minneapolis/St Paul/Split Rock/Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and other Michigan trips-and so many memories of good old days now just a memory.

:hug2:  :hug2: 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Though it’s just a memory

Some memories last forever

• Like 2

My hubby lost his sister Sunday.  She had been struggling with pulmonary hypertension for about 6 years.  We went to see her in the hospital Saturday and took her a meal she requested.  Glad that we were able to see her and spend time but it was such a shock to find out she left us on Mother's Day. :sigh::sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhyta said:

My hubby lost his sister Sunday.  She had been struggling with pulmonary hypertension for about 6 years.  We went to see her in the hospital Saturday and took her a meal she requested.  Glad that we were able to see her and spend time but it was such a shock to find out she left us on Mother's Day. :sigh::sad:

Hugs to your and your husband, Rhyta, and deepest condolences.  I'm so sorry to hear this.  Sibling relationships are so special and such a big part of life.  I'm glad you got to see her Saturday, though.  :hug2:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rhyta said:

My condolences. :rose: It's sad that she had such hard times for so long. Visiting her in the hospital was a good thing, and I'm glad you did it.  Hugs. :hug2:

• Like 1

I'm aware this will make me seem superstitious, but today I'm certain I smelled a whiff of 24 Faubourg by Hermes, which was my mother's favorite perfume. She passed away almost five years ago. 

This occurs only on rare occasion, maybe once or twice a year. It happened at the local library about a year ago, and when I told the person I was sitting with she said she didn't smell anything.

I'm not religious, but it always gives me an eerie feeling.

• Like 1