What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Sometimes I wonder why I keep reading the news, it is so damn depressing. Local story really got me down yesterday. Local couple took a trip to Hawaii and ended up getting hit by drunk driver. Now 4 children don't have their parents. :sigh: :(
  • Like 2

Sometimes I wonder why I keep reading the news, it is so damn depressing. Local story really got me down yesterday. Local couple took a trip to Hawaii and ended up getting hit by drunk driver. Now 4 children don't have their parents. :sigh: :(

A little while after the pandemic started I stopped listening to talk radio. I was a talk radio junkie for years. It just became so negative and depressing, I just listen to music now.

• Like 3

Hugely sad and disturbing video report from Ukraine. A press crew was in an SUV, on a road with a line of civilian cars trying to leave the country. They stopped when they saw unidentified tanks and soldiers….who turned out to be Russians.

About 100 feet away, the soldiers and the tank turret aimed right at them….then after a few scary minutes, they stood down. After checking and searching the SUV, the Russians let them through.

Hugely sad and disturbing video report from Ukraine. A press crew was in an SUV, on a road with a line of civilian cars trying to leave the country. They stopped when they saw unidentified tanks and soldiers….who turned out to be Russians.

About 100 feet away, the soldiers and the tank turret aimed right at them….then after a few scary minutes, they stood down. After checking and searching the SUV, the Russians let them through.

The whole thing is so sad. :( :(

• Like 1

Ukraine footage on my telly.

It’s certainly important to broadcast what is happening, but when these news networks keep repeating the same reports of children dying, refugees crying, and other “heartbreaking stories”, the cynic in me starts to question the networks’ motives.

There was one very important report from a refugee camp in Poland. The reporter noticed that no children were crying anywhere. They were silent. A serious implication of deep emotional trauma in those kids.

• Like 6

It’s certainly important to broadcast what is happening, but when these news networks keep repeating the same reports of children dying, refugees crying, and other “heartbreaking stories”, the cynic in me starts to question the networks’ motives.

There was one very important report from a refugee camp in Poland. The reporter noticed that no children were crying anywhere. They were silent. A serious implication of deep emotional trauma in those kids.

The guy who makes the kids cry will get fired. They won`t mess that one up again. :no:

Sharing the longest borderline in Europe with Russia and having had two wars with the Soviet Union in 1939-1944, war traumas still visible in my generation (2nd/3rd generation after the war ended), my home country Finland has been seriously struck with the news of the war in Ukraine.

I've been offline more than a week since I've had troubles concentrating. I've thought about the worst things (including the nukes). I've thought about my brother, my male friends and colleagues who might and very possibly would be called into duty in case of an attack to our country, and I've also been thinking about what things I'd take with me from my home if I had to flee to another country as a refugee. How much time would I have to pack my backbag, and would I be able to get somewhere safe? Or should I try to stay, protect my parents and help my country?

Needless to say, I've limited the intake of the war news to the minimum.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 7

Sharing the longest borderline in Europe with Russia and having had two wars with the Soviet Union in 1939-1944, many of the traumas still visible in my generation (2nd/3rd generaetion after the war ended), Finland has been seriously struck with the news of the war in Ukraine.

I've been offline more than a week since I've had troubles concentrating. I've thought about the worst things (including the nukes), like my brother, my male friends and colleagues to be called into duty in case of an attack to our country, and I've also been thinking about what things I'd take with me from my home if I had to flee to another country as a refugee. How much time would I have to pack my backbag, and would I be able to get somewhere safe? Or should I try to stay, protect my parents and help my country?

I wondered if this would affect you in a more practical and immediate way than the rest of us, due to the geography and history :hug2:
  • Like 2

Sharing the longest borderline in Europe with Russia and having had two wars with the Soviet Union in 1939-1944, many of the traumas still visible in my generation (2nd/3rd generaetion after the war ended), Finland has been seriously struck with the news of the war in Ukraine.

I've been offline more than a week since I've had troubles concentrating. I've thought about the worst things (including the nukes), like my brother, my male friends and colleagues to be called into duty in case of an attack to our country, and I've also been thinking about what things I'd take with me from my home if I had to flee to another country as a refugee. How much time would I have to pack my backbag, and would I be able to get somewhere safe? Or should I try to stay, protect my parents and help my country?

I wondered if this would affect you in a more practical and immediate way than the rest of us, due to the geography and history :hug2:

It would, indeed. And the population of Ukraine is about eight times the population of Finland.

:hug2:

• Like 3

It`s looking like my marriage is over, but that`s okay. No catalyst, no recriminations, and I`ve tried. We`ve been far too much like siblings instead of husband of wife for a very long time and it`s all very good-natured :)

It`s always going to be difficult when I`m the sane one :crazy:

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 5

It`s looking like my marriage is over, but that`s okay. No catalyst, no recriminations, and I`ve tried. We`ve been far too much like siblings instead of husband of wife for a very long time and it`s all very good-natured :)

I'm so sad to hear this, Jem. Take care! :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 2

Sharing the longest borderline in Europe with Russia...

At least in the EU, to be precise.

• Like 1

Sharing the longest borderline in Europe with Russia and having had two wars with the Soviet Union in 1939-1944, war traumas still visible in my generation (2nd/3rd generation after the war ended), my home country Finland has been seriously struck with the news of the war in Ukraine.

I've been offline more than a week since I've had troubles concentrating. I've thought about the worst things (including the nukes). I've thought about my brother, my male friends and colleagues who might and very possibly would be called into duty in case of an attack to our country, and I've also been thinking about what things I'd take with me from my home if I had to flee to another country as a refugee. How much time would I have to pack my backbag, and would I be able to get somewhere safe? Or should I try to stay, protect my parents and help my country?

:hug2:

• Like 2

Ratings, aimed at salvaging a failing brand of info-tainment. I've watched some Al Jazeera, but avoided most

US-based "news" sources

I finally realized why the TRF banner looked different to me...it's what's missing...
  • Like 3

I finally realized why the TRF banner looked different to me...it's what's missing...

Yeah I noticed that too.. :sigh:

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that :hug2:

• Like 2

Glad you checked in, I've been wondering how all the events in Ukraine might be affecting you. Take care of yourself friend :hug2:

• Like 2

Very sad to hear this, though it seems like it may be for the best at this point.

I will ad that if my wife and I got along like siblings we'd have split long ago. My sisters are nuts! :lol:

• Like 1

Very sad to hear this, though it seems like it may be for the best at this point.

I will ad that if my wife and I got along like siblings we'd have split long ago. My sisters are nuts! :lol:

:lol: I think that because she doesn`t talk to her family and I don`t have siblings, we`ve ended up being more friends than anything. Which you`d have to say is a long way from the worst way things can end up! I`m still alive, for a start :yes:
  • Like 2