What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

The proprietors of an Italian restaurant, open since 1957 and famous for their Chicago thin style pizza, announced their retirement, and will be closing as of Saturday evening. Place had a real hole-in-the-wall vibe, but the food was great.

We had a killer Italian place in Portland called Sylvia's that closed about 15 years ago because Sylvia died and her kids didn't want to run it. Best Italian I've ever had by a wide margin. It sucks when a great restaurant closes.

• Like 2

The proprietors of an Italian restaurant, open since 1957 and famous for their Chicago thin style pizza, announced their retirement, and will be closing as of Saturday evening. Place had a real hole-in-the-wall vibe, but the food was great.

We had a killer Italian place in Portland called Sylvia's that closed about 15 years ago because Sylvia died and her kids didn't want to run it. Best Italian I've ever had by a wide margin. It sucks when a great restaurant closes.

Preaching to the choir, for Karen and I it was a basic Italian and pizza place named Rita's. Place was barely 10 minutes from the house, and if we weren't in there eating, I was bringing carry out home at least once a week. Rita passed away some 20 years ago, and her kids "got into it" over the future direction of the place, until they eventually lost it altogether within 6 months of her death. Sucks, indeed.
  • Like 2

My niece called with the news that her father got hit with Covid-19 over the weekend and passed away today. George was in reasonably good health when I saw him in September. Shocking how one can be slammed so quickly. A really great guy. RIP, George. :(

My niece called with the news that her father got hit with Covid-19 over the weekend and passed away today. George was in reasonably good health when I saw him in September. Shocking how one can be slammed so quickly. A really great guy. RIP, George. :(

I'm sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace. :rose:

• Like 1

I sent the “old flame” from college a Happy Thanksgiving message on the Facebook. She responded in kind, and I wanted to send back a follow up, but I found that I had nothing to say.

We always said that we would meet again for coffee someday, but that day never came. It’s been almost 20 years. We chat maybe once a year on Facebook. I think the day has come. I think it’s time to wrap it up. :(

A younger cousin has died. A childhood playmate, she battled cancer(s) for twenty years, and now she's gone.

RIP . . . :angel:

My condolences. May she rest in peace. :rose: :rose: :rose:

• Like 2

A younger cousin has died. A childhood playmate, she battled cancer(s) for twenty years, and now she's gone.

I'm sorry to hear this, Nova. Condolences to you and to the family. :hug2: That's a tough one.

• Like 3

My condolences. May she rest in peace. :rose: :rose: :rose:

Very sorry to hear this. :rose:

• Like 2

I am helping my 28-year old niece move from Wisconsin to Knoxville, Tennessee over the next few days.

She is starting a new job and a new life with her boyfriend, who lives in Knoxville.

It is quite the awkward situation, as my niece has, with good reasons, estranged herself from her mother (my sister), her father and her brother.

The family has been "dysfunction junction" from the start. I am the only family member she trusts, as I am the only one who doesn't try to bully, control or manipulate her.

She deserves to have a good life. She's busted her butt in school, college and all of her jobs. She's endured back injuries and major medical issues, and now she's off to a new life, with a pretty good family.

She will have to deal with culture shock, though. That will be a HUGE challenge!

• Like 1

I am helping my 28-year old niece move from Wisconsin to Knoxville, Tennessee over the next few days.

She is starting a new job and a new life with her boyfriend, who lives in Knoxville.

It is quite the awkward situation, as my niece has, with good reasons, estranged herself from her mother (my sister), her father and her brother.

The family has been "dysfunction junction" from the start. I am the only family member she trusts, as I am the only one who doesn't try to bully, control or manipulate her.

She deserves to have a good life. She's busted her butt in school, college and all of her jobs. She's endured back injuries and major medical issues, and now she's off to a new life, with a pretty good family.

She will have to deal with culture shock, though. That will be a HUGE challenge!

Wish her a good start in a new place, you are a nice guy to be there for her. :) :yes:

• Like 3

SIL is very ill, not looking good for her. Has chronic lung problems and has been getting worse for several months now. Just heard this morning that on top of this her daughter and son in law are splitting up. Just feel like someone punched me in the stomach. It really stinks.
  • Like 2

SIL is very ill, not looking good for her. Has chronic lung problems and has been getting worse for several months now. Just heard this morning that on top of this her daughter and son in law are splitting up. Just feel like someone punched me in the stomach. It really stinks.

:( I'm sad to hear this. Health problems with sorrow is a very tough combination. I hope there would be some relief and good things coming to the whole family. :hug2:

• Like 1

My niece, Cedar Marie, is on her way to her new life and new job in Knoxville, Tennessee. I helped her pack up all her belongings in Eau Claire, WI. Her boyfriend, who lives in Knoxville, flew up to drive the U-Haul while she drives her car (with her two cats inside).

She is my only niece. I am her only uncle. I am her only family that matters, as the rest of her family is dysfunctional, manipulative and vindictive.

I'll be going down South to visit from time to time. I'm still sad to the Nth degree. :( :( :(

My niece, Cedar Marie, is on her way to her new life and new job in Knoxville, Tennessee. I helped her pack up all her belongings in Eau Claire, WI. Her boyfriend, who lives in Knoxville, flew up to drive the U-Haul while she drives her car (with her two cats inside).

She is my only niece. I am her only uncle. I am her only family that matters, as the rest of her family is dysfunctional, manipulative and vindictive.

I'll be going down South to visit from time to time. I'm still sad to the Nth degree. :( :( :(

So far, so good. They’re at Rockford, IL - their first hotel stop. They have to leave early in the morning to beat the snow and ice on the way to Louisville!

I’m a nervous freaking wreck....

• Like 2

So far, so good. They’re at Rockford, IL - their first hotel stop. They have to leave early in the morning to beat the snow and ice on the way to Louisville!

I’m a nervous freaking wreck....

:hug2: She is lucky to have a caring person as her uncle! My husband and I have done 5 of those U Haul moves, though, and yeah, no fun in bad weather. Fingers crossed all goes well for them in the rest of the move! At least there are cell phones these days. :)

• Like 3