What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

There will probably be more rioting in Kentucky, now that the Breonna Taylor grand jury decision has been announced. :(

Yes very sad. The city pays the family for wrongful death but the grand jury can charge one officer for wanton endangerment to other people in the apartment complex but nothing for Taylor? I don't get it. They knew it wasn't going over good when they started yesterday boarding up buildings. Why are they surprised that people will get angry?

Grand juries can be just like any other jury, I guess. We can never be totally sure of their pending decision.

Unlike the media and the public, they rely on the full facts of the case.

Unlike in a typical public criminal court trial, the grand jury hears only one side of the story - the prosecution's side. Does this guarantee that the grand jury receives all the facts of the case? Certainly not.

In this particular case, how does the grand jury know that the prosecution is telling the whole truth? How does it know that the accused cops are telling the whole truth? The grand jury only hears their side.

The cops are the defendants in this situation.

Exactly. This case is especially troubling, because the prosecution and police are almost always fierce allies. In a regular trial and in a grand jury proceeding, a citizen is accused, and the police and prosecution are both against him.

What did the grand jury get for evidence in THIS case?

They got testimony from the neighbors, from Breonna's companion (who fired the first shot), and substantial surveillance intelligence gathered over a long period of time. Police testimony was apparently corroborated by those witnesses.

An interesting commentary was put out today, and it described the decision as legally correct, but unjust. The writer said that the problem lies in the practice of late-night, quick-knock raids, which have as a primary goal the protection of evidence. The problem is that the practice creates an element of surprise that endangers all sides. Police are on edge, ready for a firefight, and the resident - who often lives in a dangerous neighborhood - is taken by surprise and woken from slumber, which likely causes a panicked reaction.

There will probably be more rioting in Kentucky, now that the Breonna Taylor grand jury decision has been announced. :(

Yes very sad. The city pays the family for wrongful death but the grand jury can charge one officer for wanton endangerment to other people in the apartment complex but nothing for Taylor? I don't get it. They knew it wasn't going over good when they started yesterday boarding up buildings. Why are they surprised that people will get angry?

Grand juries can be just like any other jury, I guess. We can never be totally sure of their pending decision.

Unlike in a typical public criminal court trial, the grand jury hears only one side of the story - the prosecution's side. Does this guarantee that the grand jury receives all the facts of the case? Certainly not.

In this particular case, how does the grand jury know that the prosecution is telling the whole truth? How does it know that the accused cops are telling the whole truth? The grand jury only hears their side.

Exactly. This case is especially troubling, because the prosecution and police are almost always fierce allies. In a regular trial and in a grand jury proceeding, a citizen is accused, and the police and prosecution are both against him.

They got testimony from the neighbors, from Breonna's companion (who fired the first shot), and substantial surveillance intelligence gathered over a long period of time. Police testimony was apparently corroborated by those witnesses.

An interesting commentary was put out today, and it described the decision as legally correct, but unjust. The writer said that the problem lies in the practice of late-night, quick-knock raids, which have as a primary goal the protection of evidence. The problem is that the practice creates an element of surprise that endangers all sides. Police are on edge, ready for a firefight, and the resident - who often lives in a dangerous neighborhood - is taken by surprise and woken from slumber, which likely causes a panicked reaction.

Quick-knock and no-knock raids are a huge problem, IMO. They're inherently unjust and unethical, no matter how many judges give the OK for them. And, like you said, it puts everyone in danger of getting shot.

I believe the same about grand juries. They are done in secret, there is no judge, jurors are not screened for bias, and the defendant's 4th and 6th amendment rights are denied. The entire process is biased in favor of the prosecution. Also, grand juries are employed very inconsistently throughout the country. Some states use them, and some don't. This suggests that they're not really necessary anywhere.

• Like 1

Quick-knock and no-knock raids are a huge problem, IMO. They're inherently unjust and unethical, no matter how many judges give the OK for them. And, like you said, it puts everyone in danger of getting shot.

I believe the same about grand juries. They are done in secret, there is no judge, jurors are not screened for bias, and the defendant's 4th and 6th amendment rights are denied. The entire process is biased in favor of the prosecution. Also, grand juries are employed very inconsistently throughout the country. Some states use them, and some don't. This suggests that they're not really necessary anywhere.

You're right that a grand jury is basically a tool of the prosecution. Prosecutors are bound by different ethical rules than other lawyers though, in terms of their obligations to justice as opposed to zealously advocating for their "client." That doesn't mean no one violates those rules of course.

What states don't use grand juries for felonies? There's no requirement a grand jury hear evidence for a misdemeanor, like OUI, but I've never heard of a state prosecuting a felony without a grand jury indictment. I'd be interested to know which ones do that.

• Like 1

What states don't use grand juries for felonies? There's no requirement a grand jury hear evidence for a misdemeanor, like OUI, but I've never heard of a state prosecuting a felony without a grand jury indictment. I'd be interested to know which ones do that.

23 states require it to file indictments for some serious crimes

25 states do not require it but can use it as an option

Connecticut and Pennsylvania do not use grand juries to file indictments, but do use them to gather information on criminal activity. Indictments are acquired via preliminary hearings with a judge, who listens to arguments from the prosecution and defense

https://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/11/which-states-use-criminal-grand-juries.html#:~:text=Connecticut%20and%20Pennsylvania%20have%20both%20abolished%20the%20use,states%2C%20indictments%20are%20required%20for%20certain%20serious%20crimes.

23 states require it to file indictments for some serious crimes

25 states do not require it but can use it as an option

Connecticut and Pennsylvania do not use grand juries to file indictments, but do use them to gather information on criminal activity. Indictments are acquired via preliminary hearings with a judge, who listens to arguments from the prosecution and defense

https://blogs.findla...serious crimes.

Interesting. It looks like states that don't use them use preliminary hearings instead.

In the 25 other states, a grand jury indictment is optional. In those states, charges may be brought by a document called the information. In many states, an information is written by a prosecutor, similar to the initial criminal complaint, but is reserved only for felony or serious charges. Typically an information is filed after a preliminary hearing, including those charges which were found supported by probable cause.

In states where indictments are not required, whether probable cause exists to charge a defendant with a crime may be determined at a preliminary hearing. At a preliminary hearing, a judge will listen to arguments from both sides before determining whether or not the case should proceed to a criminal trial.

Found out an co-worker from the Service list her husband of close to 30 years last week. A memorial service is planned for two weeks from now, and, assuming other co-workers are there, it will be my first contact with them since my retirement. It's likely most of them are unaware of Karen's passing as we've not kept up with one another. Still, I need to do this, if only for that it's for a friend.

Edit: The service went very well, combination Roman Catholic mass and military flag ceremony as Mike was USMC. Real good seeing Liz, we are workmates 25+ years, and she was very happy to see me. We exchanged email addresses, and will chat electronically. :ranton: Major bummer was only one other co-worker at the service. My work unit was very senior, majority of staff 15-20+ years. Jeez Louise will it kill you to show some respect and sympathy? :rantoff: Oh well as Nina Simone said, "It be's that way sometimes."
  • Like 1

It will be a year on November 15th that my husband had his second stroke.

I had such great hopes, really high hopes, that he would recover.

But, this time and with this stroke, it is now evident he won't ever recover.

I can't begin to tell you what my life with him is like. It really is so sad and tragic. I'd rather die than have it happen to me.

I can't begin to tell you what my life with him is like. It really is so sad and tragic. I'd rather die than have it happen to me.

You have handled it all like a saint, Lorraine. He's lucky to have you.

:hug2:

• Like 1

it was the 3 year anniversary of Tom Petty’s death. he was a childhood hero of mine, and my first concert. seeing him live when i was 11 was a dream come true.

So sad to watch someone you love disappear before your eyes, it must be torture. You got to see those lovely Northern Lights the other night, that was breathtaking. :hug2: for you :monalisa:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

I haven't though. A saint would say "Fiat!!" and "Thy Will be done!" and have a sweet and serene smile on their face. Mine is the face of desperation and frustration and misery. I feel as if I am chained in a box.

If I could get to the core of my problem I could help myself, but I can't put my finger on it.

There's so much going on at once. This was never a normal relationship to begin with.

In any event, thanks for your kind words. :)

P.S. As for my husband being lucky to have me, he'll realize that when it's too late.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

• Like 2

I haven't though. A saint would say "Fiat!!" and "Thy Will be done!" and have a sweet and serene smile on their face. Mine is the face of desperation and frustration and misery. I feel as if I am chained in a box.

If I could get to the core of my problem I could help myself, but I can't put my finger on it.

There's so much going on at once. This was never a normal relationship to begin with.

In any event, thanks for your kind words. :)

P.S. As for my husband being lucky to have me, he'll realize that when it's too late.

It's a positive thing that you aware of the toll it's taking on you. Is there any way you can arrange some respite care to give you a break? I used to do this for people, spending one to three weeks as a live-in caseworker while spouses took a break from the 24-hour responsibility of living with a stroke survivor. Time to recharge is a basic need.
  • Like 4

Found out an co-worker from the Service list her husband of close to 30 years last week. A memorial service is planned for two weeks from now, and, assuming other co-workers are there, it will be my first contact with them since my retirement. It's likely most of them are unaware of Karen's passing as we've not kept up with one another. Still, I need to do this, if only for that it's for a friend.

Edit: The service went very well, combination Roman Catholic mass and military flag ceremony as Mike was USMC. Real good seeing Liz, we are workmates 25+ years, and she was very happy to see me. We exchanged email addresses, and will chat electronically. :ranton: Major bummer was only one other co-worker at the service. My work unit was very senior, majority of staff 15-20+ years. Jeez Louise will it kill you to show some respect and sympathy? :rantoff: Oh well as Nina Simone said, "It be's that way sometimes."

I'm guessing the virus prevented people from going. I know around here there has been more online streaming of funeral services than in person ones since the pandemic started.

• Like 1

:hug2: I didn't realize it has been close to a year. I wish I could write something that would help your situation.

• Like 2

:hug2: I didn't realize it has been close to a year. I wish I could write something that would help your situation.

You know, my life has been very hard (hard emotionally) and I've been through a lot of lows, but nothing like this ever before.

Wish there was something someone somewhere could say or do.

I can't even help myself because I don't know what to do.

Edited by Lorraine

2020 just really sucks. There was a very close childhood girlfriend that I grew up with, and we remained in touch over the years. She worked in downtown Pittsburgh and worked her way up to being the head of employee training for a large restaurant chain. About three years ago she bought a joke from a homeless man selling jokes for a dollar at the entrance to a large bridge downtown. They ended up in a serious romantic relationship together and even wrote a book about what happened, which was published late last year.

The introduction- "On March 9, S. left jail (again) and headed back to life on the streets of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Four months later, while panhandling on an interstate bridge, he offered a suburban commuter a tattered piece of paper upon which he had written a joke. That one simple exchange between a donation-offering commuter and a joke-offering-panhandler set into motion a series of events that turned both their lives upside down and opened doors of change and possibility that neither had ever sought or expected." It's an interesting book and I know they had hopes for some book signings around Pittsburgh.

Both seemed to be moving into a bright place before Covid hit. Really sadly, my girlfriend ended up passing away earlier this spring from an unknown heart problem. She was only in her 50's and it hit us all really hard. Her family was not been able to have a service because of the lockdown. And today, my sister told me that the man, S, was found dead yesterday. They brought happiness to each other and it seems like such a waste that both are gone now. :( :(

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2