What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

RIP :musicnote: Dan Ingram :musicnote: DJ of many years of my life.

Thank you. :rose:

• Like 1

I visited home and found that my dog is a skeleton now. He's refusing food and water and is slowly starving to death. My parents refuse to euthanize him because they can't bare to do that to him. I tried to reason with them but I'm going to have to watch him suffer.
  • Like 1

I visited home and found that my dog is a skeleton now. He's refusing food and water and is slowly starving to death. My parents refuse to euthanize him because they can't bare to do that to him. I tried to reason with them but I'm going to have to watch him suffer.

If reason won't work, then perhaps some very blunt and aggressive reason may.

Tell them very bluntly that they're being absolutely cruel to the dog, and that they're putting their own selfish feelings over the dog's needs. Shame them into action. Just my opinion.....

Tell them very bluntly that they're being absolutely cruel to the dog, and that they're putting their own selfish feelings over the dog's needs. Shame them into action. Just my opinion.....

It's not going to work. I tried that approach already. It all came on so suddenly that they're still kind of in shock I think. Plus the dog barely moves and hasn't eaten in 4 days. They're absolutely convinced he'll just go on his own any hour. But I think they've had this feeling for a few days now....

• Like 1

It's not going to work. I tried that approach already. It all came on so suddenly that they're still kind of in shock I think. Plus the dog barely moves and hasn't eaten in 4 days. They're absolutely convinced he'll just go on his own any hour. But I think they've had this feeling for a few days now....

Is it possible to just grab the dog and take him to the vet yourself and get it over with? I've put a couple of pets down because there was nothing else that could be done. It sucks and is very emotional but what had to be done needed to get done. I don't get why your parents are hanging on to the dog like This? They're both grown ups and as hard as it is they should have made the grown up decision to put it down already.

It's hard when the illness comes on fast like that but whether it's a pet or a human being that's how it always happens when a serious illness comes on strong and there's nothing that can be done. I don't know how they can watch the dog suffer like that for so long? How have they not broken down yet and taken him to the vet by now?

Is it possible to just grab the dog and take him to the vet yourself and get it over with? I've put a couple of pets down because there was nothing else that could be done. It sucks and is very emotional but what had to be done needed to get done. I don't get why your parents are hanging on to the dog like This? They're both grown ups and as hard as it is they should have made the grown up decision to put it down already.

It's hard when the illness comes on fast like that but whether it's a pet or a human being that's how it always happens when a serious illness comes on strong and there's nothing that can be done. I don't know how they can watch the dog suffer like that for so long? How have they not broken down yet and taken him to the vet by now?

I live about 2 hours away and started a new job. I'm unable to take time off for a while still. I'll try to talk with my boss about it in the morning but it may be a hard sell.

They're unshakable with their commitment. They couldn't live with themselves by killing him (even though they will let him suffer). My mother lost her mother and sister last month. I think she's just too hurt by recent losses to do anything right now. I think they kept it off because they were certain he would just pass overnight. They still think it'll be any moment right now. He's had quick shallow pants since the morning and hasn't moved all day. Scheduling an appointment tomorrow for may be a moot point, according to my father. I'd rather just do it.

I was very close to just bringing him in the backyard (we're in the middle of nowhere) and do what needs to be done with a rifle but I was worried I'd do something (like miss or if the first shot didn't take) that'd mess that up.

Union, I am really really sorry - it's gut wrenching just reading what you wrote .. That decision is really difficult, and it must be tough for you

But no matter what state you dog is in, he knows that you are there and that love him ...

I'm really sorry

Big time earthquake this morning. Trains are messed up so it’ll be a task getting home later today. Some acquaintance’s house damaged majorly. And by far the worst of all: 3 deaths reported so far (it happened 5 hours ago), including a 9 year old girl who was crushed by a concrete wall.

JB, I just saw this post ... I hope everything is OK with you, and all those who were effected ... that's some scary stuff

I live about 2 hours away and started a new job. I'm unable to take time off for a while still. I'll try to talk with my boss about it in the morning but it may be a hard sell.

They're unshakable with their commitment. They couldn't live with themselves by killing him (even though they will let him suffer). My mother lost her mother and sister last month. I think she's just too hurt by recent losses to do anything right now. I think they kept it off because they were certain he would just pass overnight. They still think it'll be any moment right now. He's had quick shallow pants since the morning and hasn't moved all day. Scheduling an appointment tomorrow for may be a moot point, according to my father. I'd rather just do it.

I was very close to just bringing him in the backyard (we're in the middle of nowhere) and do what needs to be done with a rifle but I was worried I'd do something (like miss or if the first shot didn't take) that'd mess that up.

My eldest cousin never had any kids. She and her husband had this dog - a white poodle mix - that they loved like a child. FIVE years after he died, they still bawled whenever someone mentioned him. It's been at least ten years now, and I still don't mention "Ziggy".....

I totally understand how some people can't bring themselves to put their pets down. Not everyone has the emotional fortitude to do it.

• Like 2

My eldest cousin never had any kids. She and her husband had this dog - a white poodle mix - that they loved like a child. FIVE years after he died, they still bawled whenever someone mentioned him. It's been at least ten years now, and I still don't mention "Ziggy".....

I totally understand how some people can't bring themselves to put their pets down. Not everyone has the emotional fortitude to do it.

It's gut wrenching ... I had a 125lb German Shepard - Von- who could no longer walk, wasn;t eating and had lost his pride ... The vet came to the house , but Von would still try to get up and go after him, and the vet was scared he was going to get one last bite in ..... I was the one who had to give him tranquilizers in milk to knock him out, so then the vet could get close enough to inject him ... This all happened in my living room ..

Pushing that bowl of milk to him, the same way I put his food down for him for 12 years before - was one of the hardest things I ever had to do .... It was time, but he trusted me and I felt I was breaking a trust ..

My hopes are that deep down, he knew I was helping

f**k it, I've got tears running down my face just thinking about it

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear that. Didn't know about her mom and sister passing so closely together like that. It does make some sense as to why they can't bring themselves to put the dog down.

I lost a dog to diabetes back in 2006. I didn't even know dogs could get that before the vet diagnosed him. I had to give the dog insulin ejections every day. Within six months he was gone. He developed pancreatitis and there wasn't anything that could be done. I was even in the room talking to him and petting him as the vet gave him the shot to end it. Very heart wrenching stuff to have to put a pet down but it's what needed to be done.

I'm sorry to hear that. Didn't know about her mom and sister passing so closely together like that. It does make some sense as to why they can't bring themselves to put the dog down.

I lost a dog to diabetes back in 2006. I didn't even know dogs could get that before the vet diagnosed him. I had to give the dog insulin ejections every day. Within six months he was gone. He developed pancreatitis and there wasn't anything that could be done. I was even in the room talking to him and petting him as the vet gave him the shot to end it. Very heart wrenching stuff to have to put a pet down but it's what needed to be done.

Putting my dog of sixteen years felt like a tremendous act of kindness. He was riddled with cancer and and in pain, and once he got the injection, he went quickly and peacefully. Less than 30 seconds is what it took.

Big time earthquake this morning. Trains are messed up so it’ll be a task getting home later today. Some acquaintance’s house damaged majorly. And by far the worst of all: 3 deaths reported so far (it happened 5 hours ago), including a 9 year old girl who was crushed by a concrete wall.

The Wasatch Front is overdue for a very large magnitude earthquake that is expected to kill 5,000+. I don't go more than a month or two without thinking about it. Earthquakes terrify me, and I legitimately don't wanna live here during it, in these 90 year old masonry houses that are directly on the fault line.

What's sad is that it's exclusively manmade materials that kill during an earthquake. Being caught in an earthquake on a plain wouldn't be terribly deadly.

JB, I just saw this post ... I hope everything is OK with you, and all those who were effected ... that's some scary stuff

I was unaffected other than some train inconveniences. I know a few people who had extensive property damage though.

However, I think there were three people in Osaka who died. One was an elderly man who had some shelf fall on him while he was sleeping. Another was an elementary school girl who was crushed by a wall on her way to school. The third casualty I can’t remember other than it being an adult male.

Mojo passed away this morning at 8 years old. He was laying in my father's arms as he did. Part of me is glad because now he won't be suffering anymore, but I will deeply miss my friend.

cTTXB74.jpg?1

Edited by Union 5-3992

Mojo passed away this morning at 8 years old. He was laying in my father's arms as he did. Part of me is glad because now he won't be suffering anymore, but I will deeply miss my friend.

cTTXB74.jpg?1

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for the loss of the dog. Losing a loved pet is no fun. Still miss my black cat one decade later since she died after living 11 human years.

Found out my city didn’t do 4th of July this year. Last year they skipped because of high school football renovations but now it’s because of budgeting. Walked around the neighborhood to see fireworks around the city from neighbors but it’s not the same. This is a city that has (TWO?! WTF?!) Scientology buildings. Screwed up priorities.

• Like 1

cTTXB74.jpg?1

Sorry to hear this, Union...my first cat that stayed for more than two weeks was stolen by people that were taking the animals to labs for testing in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan. BIG lab town. People like that need to be euthanised...

zdxLoYS.gif

Heavy rains and flooding in the surrounding cities of Kyoto, Kobe, and Wakayama in the last 48 or so hours. The storms have affected ALL trains the last couple of days which affected daily life but much worse - more people died due to this storm than the earthquake just a couple of weeks ago

Heavy rains and flooding in the surrounding cities of Kyoto, Kobe, and Wakayama in the last 48 or so hours. The storms have affected ALL trains the last couple of days which affected daily life but much worse - more people died due to this storm than the earthquake just a couple of weeks ago

That sucks...'Mother' Nature still rules the roost.

HCDob5b.gif