What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Went outside a while ago and there was a strange man all the way in the back of my property going through my stuff. My neighbor ran the guy down and he gave some b.s. story about wanting to jump over the fence to take a short cut. Must have wanted to take some items of mine with him because he had them in his hands when I found him back there. What scares me is that I had no idea he was even there. I went outside to feed the cat and there he was. It was daylight out and he just walked on my property and all the way to the back.

:o :o That's scary. I'm glad you are OK!! I'm so glad your neighbor was able to stop him. There have been robberies like that in this area as well and the news says it is because of the opioid crisis. Apparently people who are hooked will take things not nailed down to get a few dollars. I honestly think neighbors looking out for each other is some of the best protection there is; I'm glad you have a good one!

You're absolutely right. Neighbors are the best protection. LE is useless. By the time they show up, it's too late. I've been putting off getting a gun and concealed/carry permit, but I can no longer do that.

It's good to start a Block Watch too. I'm not on FB, but I understand that many neighborhoods have a page there reporting crime/suspicious activity/persons.

Lots of addicts here - crack and heroin and now opioids. If you look on the internet, my city comes up for one of the highest in property crime and car theft.

I'm sorry to hear your neighborhood is going as well.

I watched my neighborhood and city go down the tubes in the sixties, and here I am watching another neighborhood/city go the same route.

I got my hand guns in the eighties,nineties and 2012. I also got my CCW license in 2012. That was when I was living up north. This is my newest gun,

IRbBzxw.jpgThis is a Smith & Wesson .40 cal. semi automatic Sigmna. not overly heavy, easy to aim and trigger pull is not overly hard either. Just make sure your weapon is comfortable to YOU. I had to go for a class, which was sponsored by the NRA, and a certified teacher from the NRA locally, and when you get your weapon, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!! find a place where your can practice your shooting and handling of your weapon, and then KEEP PRACTICING! I have a local place, in Ann Arbor, that is perfect for this, they give CCW classes also and sell survival stuff too.

Went outside a while ago and there was a strange man all the way in the back of my property going through my stuff. My neighbor ran the guy down and he gave some b.s. story about wanting to jump over the fence to take a short cut. Must have wanted to take some items of mine with him because he had them in his hands when I found him back there. What scares me is that I had no idea he was even there. I went outside to feed the cat and there he was. It was daylight out and he just walked on my property and all the way to the back.

:o :o That's scary. I'm glad you are OK!! I'm so glad your neighbor was able to stop him. There have been robberies like that in this area as well and the news says it is because of the opioid crisis. Apparently people who are hooked will take things not nailed down to get a few dollars. I honestly think neighbors looking out for each other is some of the best protection there is; I'm glad you have a good one!

You're absolutely right. Neighbors are the best protection. LE is useless. By the time they show up, it's too late. I've been putting off getting a gun and concealed/carry permit, but I can no longer do that.

A high profile, random murder on a trail I frequent a few weeks ago made me feel the same way. If you buy soon(ish), make sure you're comfortable with whatever tool you select. Even smaller calibers like 9mm are venerable manstoppers these days, thanks to modern ammunition advancements.

And here's hoping you never have to employ such a tool for it's purpose.

There's a place out here that gives classes. I think I will apply first for the license, then take the classes and have a chance to try out different guns so I can see which one I'm more comfortable with. Then, make the purchase.

It's gotten so bad out here, that people are warning the LE that if we can't get justice from those we pay to get justice from, we'll take it into our own hands. When you steal a car out here, you get a few weeks in county jail. What kind of deterrent from crime is that? If I were a thief by nature, that would be no deterrent for me. I'd just keep stealing away.

The worst are the sex offenders that get released. My wonderful city gets a grant if they take these perverts here. So, they take advantage of the easy money. The last one to recently relocate here was in for ten years. He raped a six year old boy.

Hello France? Can we borrow your guillotine, you're not using it anymore...

Hearing things like that make me want to throw up good god that's awful.

It's true. The past month we've had four or five recently released sex offenders relocate in our area. It's sickening.

Back to my first thought of what made me sad today - I got on the scale :facepalm:

How does one lose weight at 48?

You can do it. Little by little. I don't know what you eat, but try cutting back on portions. Load up on salad so you feel full but aren't consuming the calories.

Make it your goal to lose at least one pound every week. Before you know it, you will have lost ten. :)

• Like 2

Back to my first thought of what made me sad today - I got on the scale :facepalm:

How does one lose weight at 48?

Cut back on carbohydrates and focus on meat and vegetables. Also make sure you get the right kind of fats and don't be frugal with it. That's what I did and I got my flat stomach back. I usually eat a steak for breakfast with green beans, or scrambled eggs with fried kale, and for lunch and dinner it's something with meat, one or two kind of vegetables and seasoning. Sometimes also heavy cream. The best thing I have done is cut down on pasta, rice and potatoes which are heavy in starch and sit in your intestines for too long.

The difficult part is getting used to not feeling the belly stretching.

• Like 2

Vote the JUDGES OUT. And thanks for the Gun comment, Librarian. And about the weight problem, just portion control and what goes in in the first place! My Dr finally convinced me. lol

VKsuPH1.gif?1

• Like 1

Why would anyone ever start on meth?

Who in their right mind would begin doing a drug that they know is horribly addictive when the high only lasts for about ten or so minutes?

Can anyone here explain it to me?

It's inexpensive...a cheap high.
  • Like 1

Who in their right mind would begin doing a drug that they know is horribly addictive when the high only lasts for about ten or so minutes?

It's inexpensive...a cheap high.

But it lasts only ten minutes. Add up all of those inexpensive highs all day long and it adds up.

Desperation, shitty circumstances, boredom, peer pressure...same ol' sh!t.

Why do people drink to excess? Why do people get into heroin or Oxycontin or Fentanyl?

They're looking for something positive in something negative, looking for a brief escape from "the horrors of the flesh".

Sometimes there just isn't an answer.

God help the poor buggers caught in the shit-cycle of addiction.

• Like 2

Also I think people that start in their teens and twenties just kind of think they are bullet proof somehow; even with all of the evidence around them. I know I did some stupid stuff (NOT meth, more like jumping off high train trestles) at that age and just figured it wouldn't happen to me. I was reading somewhere that the teen brain doesn't develop into an adult brain with full understanding of consequences and problems until people are in their early twenties. That didn't surprise me.

There was just a special section in our Sunday paper yesterday about the opioid/meth crisis in Pennsylvania. Some of the articles were personal stories from families that had lost adult children to those drugs. It said that being on them halts your brain's ability to make it's own endorphins, the feel good chemicals in the brain, so most of these kids had quit at least once but were so depressed they went back to using. I never realized that. It sounds so horrible. :(

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Especially if they find out what it's made of. My god, who's the original fool who thought of that concoction?

At least other substances started out with something that was natural.

• Like 1

a real up and down day today. After 18 months of research and work, I found out last night that our board approved my proposal for a $300k software system (I do software and computers). Then late today a (former) friend emailed our head honcho and myself and said 'hey wait, maybe you should look at the system we're running, it's awesome, it's cheaper, blah blah blah'. She had just left our agency 3 weeks ago for another job and was a mid manager. She had given me full authority to pick whatever system was best for us while she worked for us. But in a single email, she shit all over our decision (which she knew damn well what it was). What sucks is that I considered her a friend and we grew up in the same home town. But she also has a manipulative side, which is what came out to me in the email and REALLLY pissed me off. So I emailed her a flamer and told her not to contact me in the future. She has her new job...leave me and our place the hell alone.

Now I'm sure to have an uncomfortable meeting with our head guy with questions of 'WTH didn't you look into that other system?'. But f**k it, contract is signed and emailed. I still feel my decision is well justified. She's just trying to stir up shit (at my expense).

Last line I gave her: 'is this your way to get me fired so I have to beg you for a job?' Before she left she strongly hinted that she could get me a job working in her department at her new place. I told her I wasn't interested.

Sucks to break it off with someone I thought was a friend, but that was a really, really dick move that was unnecessary.

A year ago she told me about trying to sell her boyfriend's house (they live together, but he owns his house) while he was out of town and then 'talk him into it' when he gets back. She's very friendly and personable but has some really f***ed up ideas alot of times.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

a real up and down day today. After 18 months of research and work, I found out last night that our board approved my proposal for a $300k software system (I do software and computers). Then late today a (former) friend emailed our head honcho and myself and said 'hey wait, maybe you should look at the system we're running, it's awesome, it's cheaper, blah blah blah'. She had just left our agency 3 weeks ago for another job and was a mid manager. She had given me full authority to pick whatever system was best for us while she worked for us. But in a single email, she shit all over our decision (which she knew damn well what it was). What sucks is that I considered her a friend and we grew up in the same home town. But she also has a manipulative side, which is what came out to me in the email and REALLLY pissed me off. So I emailed her a flamer and told her not to contact me in the future. She has her new job...leave me and our place the hell alone.

Now I'm sure to have an uncomfortable meeting with our head guy with questions of 'WTH didn't you look into that other system?'. But f**k it, contract is signed and emailed. I still feel my decision is well justified. She's just trying to stir up shit (at my expense).

Last line I gave her: 'is this your way to get me fired so I have to beg you for a job?' Before she left she strongly hinted that she could get me a job working in her department at her new place. I told her I wasn't interested.

Sucks to break it off with someone I thought was a friend, but that was a really, really dick move that was unnecessary.

A year ago she told me about trying to sell her boyfriend's house (they live together, but he owns his house) while he was out of town and then 'talk him into it' when he gets back. She's very friendly and personable but has some really f***ed up ideas alot of times.

:hug2: Drama like that at work is the worst, especially when a (former) friend is involved. You said the most important thing, your decision on your system is well justified. Who wants someone to mess that up when you have just finished crossing all your t's getting the proposal in?

• Like 1

Especially if they find out what it's made of. My god, who's the original fool who thought of that concoction?

I think his name is Ricky Ross. Look him up. There's a book you can read too about how the drug and epidemic exploded and spread.

It's awful being betrayed by someone you trusted and considered a friend.

Being friendly and personable means nothing. Most manipulators are charming.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Thanks Lorraine. What bothered me the most is she reminded me of my ex wife who was the most dishonest person I ever met. Edited by HemiBeers

I think his name is Ricky Ross. Look him up. There's a book you can read too about how the drug and epidemic exploded and spread.

I saw a video some time ago showing how it was cooked up. It makes a heroin addict look like a healthy lifestyle choice. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

:hug2: Drama like that at work is the worst, especially when a (former) friend is involved. You said the most important thing, your decision on your system is well justified. Who wants someone to mess that up when you have just finished crossing all your t's getting the proposal in?

Thanks BC. I'm very good at disguarding people who try to screw me over and moving on.
  • Like 1

I can’t agree that “being friendly and personable means nothing.” That’s a dangerous and dead end pessimistic view to have on people and the world. Just because one or two or two dozen people were first friendly to you then eventually screwed you over doesn’t mean that others aren’t genuinely friendly and personable. Sure, I’ve met plenty of snakes and a-holes who were initially friendly and personable to me. But there’ve been plenty of people over the years who were friendly and personable and never asked a thing from me. They were just friendly because that’s who they were/are. It didn’t mean nothing.

Sometimes being nice to someone can make a difference in a person’s day...which can turn into a week...then a month...and before you know it, that person’s life is changed for the better because someone was nice to them.

“Most manipulators are charming”...yeah, I agree. But that doesn’t mean the sentence that precedes it is true.

• Like 4

I saw a video some time ago showing how it was cooked up. It makes a heroin addict look like a healthy lifestyle choice.

Check out Ricky Ross. He's an interesting man.

Thanks Lorraine. What bothered me the most is she reminded me of my ex wife who was the most dishonest person I ever met.

How else will someone like that get folks wrapped around their finger? Not by showing their true colors. They are good at what they do. Stare you right in the eye and swear up and down they're telling you the truth.

I sent a brief damage control email to the head honcho this morning and he told me he doesn't have any issues moving forward with my system decision. Movin on. F em.
  • Like 2