What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Spending four days straight on vacation with a friend only to witness what a truly raging alcoholic he is.

:(

Feeling helpless?

You can't save someone from themselves if they don't want saving or refuse to acknowledge that they need it.

And sometimes in order to move towards acknowledging a problem, that troubled person needs encouragement or a kind word from a friend.

'Tis true, but that kinda change has to come from within sadly, having witnessed 3 very close friends and my dad drink themselves to pieces.

You can offer as much support as possible, but those people have to:

a) want to change and

b) have the discipline to change.

I guess belief/faith in a higher power would help too. Luckily my friends are still alive, but sadly still boozin' it up like they were 18-year-olds. Every night.

Of course I'm stoned and half-loaded as I write this.

It's sad to see the Jeckyl-Hyde thing that alcoholism seems to bring with it too.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Goose. Hope things didn't get too awkward/weird/f***ed-up. It's a shitty situation for all parties involved.

It's weird now. He rolled in hammered last night and I spent half the night corraling him to keep him from walking out into the night in his skivvies like some perverted zombie. He left two days early this morning, unannounced. I'm guessing out of embarrassment. He left behind that stale smell of booze that only an alcoholic can.

Doesn't sound fun, man. Does his departure change the next couple days of plans for you?

Spending four days straight on vacation with a friend only to witness what a truly raging alcoholic he is.

Feeling helpless?

You can't save someone from themselves if they don't want saving or refuse to acknowledge that they need it.

And sometimes in order to move towards acknowledging a problem, that troubled person needs encouragement or a kind word from a friend.

'Tis true, but that kinda change has to come from within sadly, having witnessed 3 very close friends and my dad drink themselves to pieces.

a) want to change and

I guess belief/faith in a higher power would help too. Luckily my friends are still alive, but sadly still boozin' it up like they were 18-year-olds. Every night.

It's sad to see the Jeckyl-Hyde thing that alcoholism seems to bring with it too.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Goose. Hope things didn't get too awkward/weird/f***ed-up. It's a shitty situation for all parties involved.

It's weird now. He rolled in hammered last night and I spent half the night corraling him to keep him from walking out into the night in his skivvies like some perverted zombie. He left two days early this morning, unannounced. I'm guessing out of embarrassment. He left behind that stale smell of booze that only an alcoholic can.

Doesn't sound fun, man. Does his departure change the next couple days of plans for you?

It was actually nice. I had a relaxing day cruising the beach and interacting with the locals in peace. :)
  • Like 3

Feeling helpless?

a) want to change and

Drinking to that blackout stage is always bad news. That person's personality often disappears, and this other maniac shows up - sometimes fun at first, but quickly descending into narcissistic, childish, loutish behaviour in which they eventually appear to want to drive you away (mostly due to being ashamed of themselves, I guess?).

It certainly isn't the case, but the poor buggers are poisoned by the booze and all of this somehow makes some sort of sense to them; a cry for help that can go on for years, or until it's far too late.

God knows we tried to help dad; he had so much support but just couldn't kick it. It was terrible to watch it happen as well as not being able to make him (want to) stop. He was a good man, but a determined alcoholic with genetics on his side and old war memories against him.

One of my friends has tried to cut down on occasion; the other two know exactly what they're doing and how it affects their families and friends, and yet they still recklessly plunge ahead with bottles clinking. Some sort of denial is definitely involved. You can try to take their booze, but that never seems to work. There is nothing that you can do but tell these people that you love them and will be there for them.

It's a tragic thing and these people need help. It's too bad that you cannot forcibly check someone into a detox center (at least here you couldn't twenty years ago - haven't researched it lately), but if you somehow got them in there, they can still get themselves out at any time. It's a f*cky situation.

I only speak from my experiences and will now shut the hell up.

Thanks for the comments, VT. I come from an alcoholic family and, while I drink occasionally, know the dangers and refuse to go down that road. It's hard socially, because alcohol plays a big part in the fun people have. There's a lot of pressure to keep up with the heavy drinkers.

No thanks.

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments, VT. I come from an alcoholic family and, while I drink occasionally, know the dangers and refuse to go down that road. It's hard socially, because alcohol plays a big part in the fun people have. There's a lot of pressure to keep up with the heavy drinkers.

No thanks.

Alcohol has potential to modestly improve some social situations, and absolutely destroy many, many others.

I have an uncle who used to be an alcoholic. On his 4th DUI back in the early 2000's, my collective family decided that they wouldn't bail him out again, and he spent six months in jail. It "fixed" him as a person. Cost them their house, though.

• Like 1

No thanks.

Yeah, I too keep a pretty good eye on my intake and at least have an ok discipline on my side, although not with the reefer!

Good on you Goose, it can be tricky at times. I stopped drinking entirely for around 5 years, but now have a couple a week, but not every day, unless on vacation, and never to excess. Thanks to genetics I can drink like a fish and not get hung-over, which sounds great but is really f*cking useless! :LOL:

F*ck the heavy drinkers! Try to keep up with this: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

:P :LOL:

No thanks.

Alcohol has potential to modestly improve some social situations, and absolutely destroy many, many others.

I have an uncle who used to be an alcoholic. On his 4th DUI back in the early 2000's, my collective family decided that they wouldn't bail him out again, and he spent six months in jail. It "fixed" him as a person. Cost them their house, though.

Rough in the short term, good in the long.

After a two week vacation, which again was screwed up by a hurricane, I have to go back to work tomorrow :boo hiss: .

I remember THAT pain.... Hey didja see that MICHIGAN beat the TAR outa Prudue yesterday? vagX86l.jpg

R6BrgXP.jpg

No thanks.

Weed smokers are in denial too.

No thanks.

Not this one!

I know exactly what I'm doing and why. I know the effects and how the dirty weed affects my body/life.

I don't make excuses as to why I smoke weed. I don't sell it or participate in drug-related activities - other than having a nice puff and listening to Paul McCartney albums.

I allow myself one vice, so may as well pick a fun one! I'd rather have weed than booze any day of the week, but that's just me. Most of my friends gave it up due to feelings of paranoia, and all of those friends drink like fish!

• Like 1

My sisters husband is in the hospital for a recurring infection in his right index finger since yesterday. The doctors are saying it may require him to go to surgery. They here are on vacation from Sweden and facing a huge delema as now it looks like all their flights/hotel/car rental etc. may have to be postponed/rescheduled. They were due to leave Tampa Sunday for the 2nd leg of their American adventure to visit his 94yr old mother for her birthday. We have been waiting since 6am this morning to consult with the doctor to see if the surgery is essential. What a way to spend a vacation

:hug2: :hug2: :rose:

No thanks.

Not this one!

I know exactly what I'm doing and why. I know the effects and how the dirty weed affects my body/life.

I don't make excuses as to why I smoke weed. I don't sell it or participate in drug-related activities - other than having a nice puff and listening to Paul McCartney albums.

I allow myself one vice, so may as well pick a fun one! I'd rather have weed than booze any day of the week, but that's just me. Most of my friends gave it up due to feelings of paranoia, and all of those friends drink like fish!

VT, I wouldn't even call marijuana a "vice"

More and more, the facts about the medical and therapeutic benefits of cannabis are coming out, and at this point, even the pharmaceutical industry that has done its best to get people addicted to synthetic drugs can't stop it ..

There are so many medical benefits to cannabis it would be impossible to even list them here ..

For example .. the NFL has an enormous issue upcoming when the new collective bargaining agreement comes up because when taken therapeutically, high CBD content cannabis will actually reverse the effects of repeated concussions ... Kids are now treated with it for seizures .. People who have cancer get amazing benefits ..

All this coming from someone who has never smoked it in his life !!

The stigma attached to using a plant for improving the quality of life was in part manufactured to get people addticted to things far worse ... Big pharma cannot put a patent on simple marijuana ( even though in the future, I am sure they will do their best )

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

After a two week vacation, which again was screwed up by a hurricane, I have to go back to work tomorrow :boo hiss: .

I remember THAT pain.... Hey didja see that MICHIGAN beat the TAR outa Prudue yesterday? vagX86l.jpg

R6BrgXP.jpg

Oh yeah, between the networks and cable I see most of their games. Go Blue!
  • Like 1

On the bus home from work yesterday I saw a woman on the street, who had been beat up so bad that her eye probably got stomped out. Half her face was purple. I wasn't the only one who saw, because literally the whole bus gasped in unison. It was horrible. Edited by The Analog Grownup

On the bus home from work yesterday I saw a woman on the street, who had been beat up so bad that her eye probably got stomped out. Half her face was purple. I wasn't the only one who saw, because literally the whole bus gasped in unison. It was horrible.

Compassio for her. :rose:

Compassion for you, who cared. :hug2:

• Like 2

No thanks.

Not this one!

VT, I wouldn't even call marijuana a "vice"

More and more, the facts about the medical and therapeutic benefits of cannabis are coming out, and at this point, even the pharmaceutical industry that has done its best to get people addicted to synthetic drugs can't stop it ..

There are so many medical benefits to cannabis it would be impossible to even list them here ..

For example .. the NFL has an enormous issue upcoming when the new collective bargaining agreement comes up because when taken therapeutically, high CBD content cannabis will actually reverse the effects of repeated concussions ... Kids are now treated with it for seizures .. People who have cancer get amazing benefits ..

All this coming from someone who has never smoked it in his life !!

The stigma attached to using a plant for improving the quality of life was in part manufactured to get people addticted to things far worse ... Big pharma cannot put a patent on simple marijuana ( even though in the future, I am sure they will do their best )

Great post, Lucas!

I guess I feel it's a vice for me due to the smoking aspect. Smoking is not good for a body - although weed is marginally less harmful than tobacco (depending on which study you're reading). At least I grow my own, so I know what I'm smoking, and I don't spend any money on it...other than rolling papers and lighters. $$$ :LOL:

I've tried vaporizers, edibles, etc but nothing seems to do the trick (for me) like a dirty old doob. :smoke:

• Like 3