What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

I Can't say specifically, but it's been making me sad for a while. :(

I gave you a "like" because for a while now I have had an undefinable and strange "feeling" in the pit of my stomach brought on by who knows what. I'm not sure what it's about, but it leaves me with an uncharacteristic inner restlessness and discontent.

Do you keep a journal? I find it sometimes helps when I try to put down words on how I feel, even when I don't know. It's like thinking aloud.

I'm smiling because I began keeping one when I was 13. I used to carry it around in my handbag in the seventies and eighties. Often when I was out at a club or bar, I would pass it around to my friends to write in it. By the time I was 35, I had amassed at least twenty notebooks full of memories. One day I started to read through them. A friend of mine called while I was doing so and I told her what I was doing and that I had begun to read entries of things that happened that were better left not recalled.

She asked me what would happen if I died suddenly - would I want those journals to be read by anyone else? I thought long and hard about that. About a week later, I picked up the first journal and started ripping. It took me a long time, but I finally shredded (as best as I could in the days before shredders) all twenty journals. My hands were hurting when I was done.

They served me no purpose and, frankly, I think they are a waste of time.

I think that once you've written it down, it has served its purpose. I like to think of it as putting the past to rest, so you don't carry it onto the future. I keep a journal that I very seldom write in - there's too little going on in my life to be writing everyday ;). I don't like to read from it, because it reminds me of my weakness but I guess in a couple of years I can look back, and realize how far I've moved. But I can understand why you would get rid of yours.

Finding out that there are people who believe it's perfectly fine to gouge people in times of distress and death.

You probably knew that already but were reminded of it because of a recent event. The aftermath of a natural disaster maybe?

I knew there are people that are willing to take advantage of others misfortunes, but I never thought it would be people who weren't already criminals or otherwise immoral. Yes, the hurricane and flooding in the Houston area.

I see.

It probably means that I'm more pessimistic than you in that I think everyday people are capable of scumbaggery and immoral acts.

Those people you're referring to should be ashamed but of course, they won't be.

When you realize that evil is a part of human nature, you realize it's a part of you too.

I'm Lucifer's grandpa. :blaze:

Really though, I don't think I've ever been conceited enough to think I was above not committing a wrong. Even little little kids screw each other over through cheating at games they play, lying, stealing, bullying, whatever. When I saw those things as a little kid I didn't think, "Evil is a part of me too" or anything even remotely similar. I just recognized that someone was doing something that was wrong. And those other little kids were often just the average, run-of-the-mill kids. They weren't these evil little monsters with depressing family histories.

Everyday people do bad things. For material gain. Status. Whatever.

I'm not sure where the line is between "typical, bad acts" and "evil acts". And I'm not too sure that that's even as important as simply recognizing something is wrong or not fair.

I'm not sure there is a definitive line between good and evil. An example is killing someone to save another's live.

I usually don't like to mix up politics with music at all. I enjoy what I enjoy and that's that.....However, I'd be lying if I said that I don't feel a little alienated when it comes to the fact that the older metalheads that were kids in the 1980s are becoming more and more conservative as they get older, like the baby boomers did. It sometimes does seem like I'm very out of place as a center-left person....like I'm a square peg trying to fit in a round hole....like I don't belong.

Seeing these people overtly suck Ted Nugent's ass on every issue in the news....It's just so f***ing hypocritical. These people are now for the things they fought against when they were kids in the 80s.

Try not to get too upset over it- there are still a lot of metal and other musicians that are willing to take on society and it's problems, I think.

There used to be a time where we used to make fun of people like those televangelist megachurch scumbags....People like that hypocrite asshole Jimmy Swaggart and that selfish scumfuck Joel Osteen....From the 80s to the 2000s, people loved to ridicule them, make fun of them, and call them out for the scum they were. Now, people want to put them on a pedestal and take the bullshit they peddle to us seriously. And if we have a problem with it, we're written off as the "PC police", "triggered snowflakes", "easily offended" or whatever.

It seems that day by day, my faith in humanity diminishes more and more.

Heard a preacher say

Another world awaits

For those who kindly pay him

A poor man gave and gave

He threw his soul away

But nothing did ever change

My heart bleeds for the madness

My heart grieves for the pain

My heart bleeds for the masses

And congregations swayed

Never mind what the good book says

It don't matter anyway

Edited by fraroc

When you realize that the man you were in love with was a jerk and a pig. Love is blind.

This is another one of those posts where I didn't "like" it, I was just sympathizing .

• Like 1

After a long battle with throat cancer, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan passed away yesterday. He was my favorite pro wrestling commentator of all time and the manager of two of my favorite wrestlers of all time in Ric Flair and Mr. Perfect. Wrestling was always dumb but Heenan always managed to make it entertaining. RIP :rose: Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Before and after pictures of neighborhoods in Detroit.

What happened in Detroit?

Some examples here:

http://www.lostatemi...ply-depressing/

Ever wonder why I never go into Detroit anymore? Gimme a tank, and I might. This is not enough even...

E6IZyla.jpg

zdxLoYS.gif

Worse than Detroit is Cleveland. Someone said Toledo is next. If my city keeps going the way it is, it won't be far behind.

The north side neighborhoods, and east of South Hill... :(

The beautiful craftsman I rented in college was a burned out skeleton last I saw it.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Worse than Detroit is Cleveland. Someone said Toledo is next. If my city keeps going the way it is, it won't be far behind.

The north side neighborhoods, and east of South Hill... :(

The beautiful craftsman I rented in college was a burned out skeleton last I saw it.

It is a lot worse. They have spread out to the valley. You would be surprised. Can't go anywhere without either pepper spray or a gun.

Spending four days straight on vacation with a friend only to witness what a truly raging alcoholic he is.

:(

Feeling helpless?

You can't save someone from themselves if they don't want saving or refuse to acknowledge that they need it.

Yeah. It's really sad.
  • Like 1

Spending four days straight on vacation with a friend only to witness what a truly raging alcoholic he is.

Feeling helpless?

You can't save someone from themselves if they don't want saving or refuse to acknowledge that they need it.

And sometimes in order to move towards acknowledging a problem, that troubled person needs encouragement or a kind word from a friend.

• Like 3

My sisters husband is in the hospital for a recurring infection in his right index finger since yesterday. The doctors are saying it may require him to go to surgery. They here are on vacation from Sweden and facing a huge delema as now it looks like all their flights/hotel/car rental etc. may have to be postponed/rescheduled. They were due to leave Tampa Sunday for the 2nd leg of their American adventure to visit his 94yr old mother for her birthday. We have been waiting since 6am this morning to consult with the doctor to see if the surgery is essential. What a way to spend a vacation

Feeling helpless?

And sometimes in order to move towards acknowledging a problem, that troubled person needs encouragement or a kind word from a friend.

'Tis true, but that kinda change has to come from within sadly, having witnessed 3 very close friends and my dad drink themselves to pieces.

You can offer as much support as possible, but those people have to:

a) want to change and

b) have the discipline to change.

I guess belief/faith in a higher power would help too. Luckily my friends are still alive, but sadly still boozin' it up like they were 18-year-olds. Every night.

Of course I'm stoned and half-loaded as I write this.

It's sad to see the Jeckyl-Hyde thing that alcoholism seems to bring with it too.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Goose. Hope things didn't get too awkward/weird/f***ed-up. It's a shitty situation for all parties involved.

• Like 1

Feeling helpless?

'Tis true, but that kinda change has to come from within sadly, having witnessed 3 very close friends and my dad drink themselves to pieces.

a) want to change and

I guess belief/faith in a higher power would help too. Luckily my friends are still alive, but sadly still boozin' it up like they were 18-year-olds. Every night.

It's sad to see the Jeckyl-Hyde thing that alcoholism seems to bring with it too.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Goose. Hope things didn't get too awkward/weird/f***ed-up. It's a shitty situation for all parties involved.

Of course it comes from within but the truth is that we'll never truly know what's inside another person's brain or heart despite what they say or report. Certainly, not everyone should be left alone to figure things out on their own. Many don't know how to sort themselves from within.

This type of conversation can go round and round forever. But bottom line: there's no such thing as "helpless". It's just the mistaken feeling of helplessness.

• Like 2

My sisters husband is in the hospital for a recurring infection in his right index finger since yesterday. The doctors are saying it may require him to go to surgery. They here are on vacation from Sweden and facing a huge delema as now it looks like all their flights/hotel/car rental etc. may have to be postponed/rescheduled. They were due to leave Tampa Sunday for the 2nd leg of their American adventure to visit his 94yr old mother for her birthday. We have been waiting since 6am this morning to consult with the doctor to see if the surgery is essential. What a way to spend a vacation

Oh no! I hope it resolves well, and soon, for him. Hopefully they can do massive doses of antibiotics or something like that to clear it up quickly ?? You guys will be in my thoughts. :hug2:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Feeling helpless?

a) want to change and

It's weird now. He rolled in hammered last night and I spent half the night corraling him to keep him from walking out into the night in his skivvies like some perverted zombie. He left two days early this morning, unannounced. I'm guessing out of embarrassment. He left behind that stale smell of booze that only an alcoholic can.
  • Like 1