What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

I lost my stepmother last night. She died around 9:20 pm in a peaceful sleep. Not unexpected. She was so good to me.

She was born in Ramscheid, Germany. She took in my brother and I, having never even met us.

The day she died, during a tender moment, she said she kept hearing music. Her father was singing to her she said.

Mutti, you were a blessing to this man.

I lost my stepmother last night. She died around 9:20 pm in a peaceful sleep. Not unexpected. She was so good to me.

She was born in Ramscheid, Germany. She took in my brother and I, having never even met us.

The day she died, during a tender moment, she said she kept hearing music. Her father was singing to her she said.

:hug2: I am so sorry, TM.

• Like 2

:rose:

I'm really sorry to hear this, TM.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry.... :( :hug2: :rose:

• Like 2

:hug2:

*sends comfort*

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

An unexpected discovery about a certain person who was in my life. And this same person was omitted "details" that shouldn't have been omitted.

This person who was in my life was very pretentious and dishonest.

I'm glad to be free. But tired of "discovering things" about everyday. I want this to stop.

It's time to stay from certain places again. The same goes about people related with these stories.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

I was going to put this in the 'What Made You Laugh' thread, because it did make me laugh...but other people may not get why it was funny to me.

Thinking back to my sister's memorial service...it was at this same time of year, in 2008...I was in the car, on my way to the service, and going down a busy boulevard, there was a black cat that scurried out from the median and darted in front of my car- and made it to the other side of the road just in time.

"A black cat has crossed my path...

Tell me, what's good luck about that?"

My sister loved Halloween, and hated Thanksgiving and Christmas- she used to decorate her house inside and out with Halloween things, at Christmas time.

She would have thought the black cat crossing in front of me while I was on the way to her funeral (where I gave the eulogy) was a scream. :P :LOL:

:rose:

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 4

I'm so sorry for your loss, TM. :hug2: :rose:

• Like 2

The Cleveland Clinic just denied my mother a shot at a kidney transplant. Her cousin surprised her recently with the news that she is compatible and would give her the kidney. But the hospital believes she won't be good for the surgery. She's been getting much weaker on dialysis.

I know this isn't as serious as many of the things that people post in this thread, but I saw Time Stand Still last night and now I can't stop thinking about the fact that I'll never go to another Rush concert. :boohoo:

The Cleveland Clinic just denied my mother a shot at a kidney transplant. Her cousin surprised her recently with the news that she is compatible and would give her the kidney. But the hospital believes she won't be good for the surgery. She's been getting much weaker on dialysis.

That sucks.

:banana:

Edited by OldRUSHfan

:hug2: I'm really sorry to hear this, Union. I didn't realize that a hospital could make such a decision. Is there some way of appealing it? It seems like with a family match waiting, they would want to get the transplant done ; but I don't have much medical experience. I'll be sending healing thoughts toward your mom and your family.

:hug2: I'm really sorry to hear this, Union. I didn't realize that a hospital could make such a decision. Is there some way of appealing it? It seems like with a family match waiting, they would want to get the transplant done ; but I don't have much medical experience. I'll be sending healing thoughts toward your mom and your family.

Unfortunately, doctors can turn down people for surgery if they think that person has certain health issues that can lead to serious complications or even death of the patient. If there's a high chance her cousin could die from the surgery due to some medical issues she has, then they can turn it down. I can't imagine a decision like that is easy. But I understand why a doctor wouldn't want the death of a patient to be on their head if they approve someone for surgery who could be a serious risk.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately, doctors can turn down people for surgery if they think that person has certain health issues that can lead to serious complications or even death of the patient. If there's a high chance her cousin could die from the surgery due to some medical issues she has, then they can turn it down. I can't imagine a decision like that is easy. But I understand why a doctor wouldn't want the death of a patient to be on their head if they approve someone for surgery who could be a serious risk.

It's more my mother's health that is the risk. She is a small frail woman and has been turned down by local hospitals. So over the last year we went to the Cleveland Clinic to see if they'd give her a shot. They expect her to be at risk if she has the surgery. But she's even more likely she'd die by continuing dialysis for however long. I bet she could keep going a few more years, but a transplant could keep her around another 10-15.

If only there was some sort of waiver that we could sign where we promise not to sue or seek any recourse if she died in surgery (unless there was gross negligence). Many of her doctors here actually say she's good to go and have vouched for her. We'd be willing to take the risk of surgery over the certainty of the alternative.

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

It's more my mother's health that is the risk. She is a small frail woman and has been turned down by local hospitals. So over the last year we went to the Cleveland Clinic to see if they'd give her a shot. They expect her to be at risk if she has the surgery. But she's even more likely she'd die by continuing dialysis for however long. I bet she could keep going a few more years, but a transplant could keep her around another 10-15.

If only there was some sort of waiver that we could sign where we promise not to sue or seek any recourse if she died in surgery (unless there was gross negligence). Many of her doctors here actually say she's good to go and have vouched for her. We'd be willing to take the risk of surgery over the certainty of the alternative.

Union, I'm very sorry your mother and your family are having to go through this.

I worked at the UCSF Kidney & Liver Transplant Clinic for a a couple of years and learned a bit about the transplant process. If your mother isn't in good health (kidneys aside) then yes, she is at much more of a risk to die during surgery. But post-surgery, a transplant recipient will spend the rest of their life taking immunosuppressive drugs to ensure their body does not reject the transplanted organ. If an unhealthy or frail person is immunosuppression then it is very possible they might contract an illness that will kill them.

It was my understanding that a person in kidney failure could live indefinitely on dialysis. Am I wrong?

Union, I'm very sorry your mother and your family are having to go through this.

I worked at the UCSF Kidney & Liver Transplant Clinic for a a couple of years and learned a bit about the transplant process. If your mother isn't in good health (kidneys aside) then yes, she is at much more of a risk to die during surgery. But post-surgery, a transplant recipient will spend the rest of their life taking immunosuppressive drugs to ensure their body does not reject the transplanted organ. If an unhealthy or frail person is immunosuppression then it is very possible they might contract an illness that will kill them.

It was my understanding that a person in kidney failure could live indefinitely on dialysis. Am I wrong?

Well she's already had a transplant once before and has been taking immunosuppressive drugs for more than a decade. To my knowledge, she still is taking them. People can last a long time on dialysis, but she's been on it for over 4 years now. She's seen a decent number of the people in the clinic pass away over the years and she feels herself getting weaker and weaker. To the extent of some of reading I've done, some folks can last as many as 20 years but they usually are a bit younger. People closer to their 70's only make it 4-5 years because it's such a draining process on the body.

Well she's already had a transplant once before and has been taking immunosuppressive drugs for more than a decade. To my knowledge, she still is taking them. People can last a long time on dialysis, but she's been on it for over 4 years now. She's seen a decent number of the people in the clinic pass away over the years and she feels herself getting weaker and weaker. To the extent of some of reading I've done, some folks can last as many as 20 years but they usually are a bit younger. People closer to their 70's only make it 4-5 years because it's such a draining process on the body.

:hug2: I hope something changes and she can get her transplant.

• Like 2

I had to break up with my boyfriend yesterday. The timing wasn't good (when is it ever?) and I'm very sorry about that, but the clincher was when I was asking if he still loved me and he wouldn't answer the question. :( :( :(

I had to break up with my boyfriend yesterday. The timing wasn't good (when is it ever?) and I'm very sorry about that, but the clincher was when I was asking if he still loved me and he wouldn't answer the question. :( :( :(

:hug2:

• Like 1