What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

People that think I am the same person I was 10years ago.

This sort of thing has been addressed in a communication seminar I took. The gist of it is, you can change all sorts of things about yourself, but if you don't tell people what's going on with you then they will never know. Yeah, it sounds obvious but it's something that most people don't do. Have you tried talking with these people and letting them know why you're not the same person? Tell them what has changed with you and how you would like to be treated differently. Hopefully that will help.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 2

This sort of thing has been addressed in a communication seminar I took. The gist of it is, you can change all sorts of things about yourself, but if you don't tell people what's going on with you then they will never know. Yeah, it sounds obvious but it's something that most people don't do. Have you tried talking with these people and letting them know why you're not the same person? Tell them what has changed with you and how you would like to be treated differently. Hopefully that will help.

Interestingly, I had just typed up a reply with similar wordage (minus the "how you would like to be treated differently") but then deleted it because I thought it sounded too obvious.

Some folks may only be seeing what's in front of them. And if you APPEAR similar to how you were years ago, then that'd be an even greater reason for them to make that comment. I know I've heard my fair share of "You haven't changed". Really though, 9 times out of ten, it's meant as a compliment in my case anyway (even though I might've hoped to hear other words).

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Interestingly, I had just typed up a reply with similar wordage (minus the "how you would like to be treated differently") but then deleted it because I thought it sounded too obvious.

Some folks may only be seeing what's in front of them. And if you APPEAR similar to how you were years ago, then that'd be an even greater reason for them to make that comment. I know I've heard my fair share of "You haven't changed". Really though, 9 times out of ten, it's meant as a compliment in my case anyway (even though I might've hoped to hear other words).

Its not terribly important. Just a sad observation more than anything else.

I reckon you can't please everyone.

As far as I know, I'm delightful.

• Like 1

Are these people you haven't seen in 10 years or people who you've had regular contact with over this time period?

Just certain folks. Sporadic contact with some.

Its more an observation than asking for advice.

Everyone changes, I guess I meant the people you've not had contact with in some to me and without spending any time with you, they just assume you never "evolved". (Not really the word I'm looking for but you know what I mean? Grown is perhaps a better definition)

I need my hearing tested?

So some old lady cruises up to me in her car and asks if I know where the "fort" is. I'm thinking, Fort? What fort? That's like an American thing, British don't have forts in their own country right? So I says no, don't know.

She says, Well where's the fort in Chinley?

I use my standard I don't know I'm from Canada and only been here awhile.

She says, Well don't they have forges in Canada?

FORGES.

Must get my ears checked cause I know where the old forge was,new development now. And I'm sure she said old fort.

So yeah, I gave directions (simple -turn right then left after the bridge) but had to repeat myself 3 times.

Seems I'm not the only one needs a hearing aid. @_@ :eh: :unsure:

That sounds like 90% of my conversations with my mother. A lot of it involves us saying, "What?" to each other. :LOL:

Good to see you, Dweez. :hi:

Hey you. How's things? Hope all is well. Your kidlings must be all grown up now eh?

• Like 1

So some old lady cruises up to me in her car and asks if I know where the "fort" is. I'm thinking, Fort? What fort? That's like an American thing, British don't have forts in their own country right? So I says no, don't know.

FORGES.

Must get my ears checked cause I know where the old forge was,new development now. And I'm sure she said old fort.

So yeah, I gave directions (simple -turn right then left after the bridge) but had to repeat myself 3 times.

That sounds like 90% of my conversations with my mother. A lot of it involves us saying, "What?" to each other. :LOL:

Hey you. How's things? Hope all is well. Your kidlings must be all grown up now eh?

The two older kids are now adults, and the younger is in full-blown teenage Armageddon mode. Which is quite fitting for this thread. No more little kids makes me sad. :( And OLD! :codger:

Your boys are probably grown, too?

FORGES.

The two older kids are now adults, and the younger is in full-blown teenage Armageddon mode. Which is quite fitting for this thread. No more little kids makes me sad. :( And OLD! :codger:

Yeah, youngest one is married! He lived here for a couple years and is now taking journalism courses in Vancouver BC.

Oldest one is in Vancouver as well being an extra in movies.

Miss them like mad.

And same as you, miss them being little. Not ready to be a grandma though

• Like 1

FORGES.

Yeah, youngest one is married! He lived here for a couple years and is now taking journalism courses in Vancouver BC.

Oldest one is in Vancouver as well being an extra in movies.

Miss them like mad.

And same as you, miss them being little. Not ready to be a grandma though

Neither am I! The grandma thing freaks me out on many levels.

• Like 1

Are these people you haven't seen in 10 years or people who you've had regular contact with over this time period?

Just certain folks. Sporadic contact with some.

Its more an observation than asking for advice.

Everyone changes, I guess I meant the people you've not had contact with in some to me and without spending any time with you, they just assume you never "evolved". (Not really the word I'm looking for but you know what I mean? Grown is perhaps a better definition)

I get that. It could easily just be those folks comforting themselves (albeit unconsciously) by telling an old friend/acquaintance that they haven't changed.

Thinking about something wrong I did a long time ago in 8th grade. :(

I made fun of someone because I thought people would like me more for it. I am still mad and upset at myself for doing so.

Go apologize directly to that person. It's the honorable thing to do. Or don't and continue being mad and upset at yourself

• Like 1

I made fun of someone because I thought people would like me more for it. I am still mad and upset at myself for doing so.

Go apologize directly to that person. It's the honorable thing to do. Or don't and continue being mad and upset at yourself

I can not do that because I moved this year.

Send him/her an email/text/whatever then

I do not have there number.

In the modern world of social media you can't get a hold of the person you made fun of in front of everyone? I doubt that.

• Like 1

In the modern world of social media you can't get a hold of the person you made fun of in front of everyone? I doubt that.

I did not make fun of him in front of everyone.

I did not make fun of him in front of everyone.

My mistake. Still, you should apologize...unless you've got more excuses to not do that

• Like 2

Yesterday, actually- when I read that Hara Arena is going to close. It is/was a fixture for live music and all kinds of other events in my home town for 60 years.

i spent the day shopping with one of my best friends before she goes to college up in northern California. luckily the holidays are around the corner so she might visit in a few months, and we'll definitely skype.
  • Like 1

Our neighbor's Mastiff dog next door. She's old now, at least 13 years old. She was a rescue dog, so I'm not certain as to her real age.

But she is deaf and can't see well and sort of just shuffles around the yard. She used to be quite the dog - as Mastiffs can be (for anyone who knows what they are like).

It's sad watching her.

Myself :(

I feel like I can do nothing right and I also feel like I am dumb. :(

I am quite sure that every person here [that has attained the age of 20, has gone through this as well. If someone has written a book on the Teen years, I know there is a chapter on these feelings, and how every teen that's seen life on this planet has gone through them. You're NOT DUMB. You've made some mistakes. You'll make more. That does NOT make you STUPID, nor does not knowing immediately what to do about them. That's WHY they call these "THE LEARNING YEARS"! Technically, from the time we are 'hatched', we humans are in a constant state of LEARNING! I'm 58, and I'm STILL learning! Soooooo,.....get used to it! Some will be hard, some will be FUN, but ALL of it will be USEFUL!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Big%20Glasses%20banana.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1