RIP Chris Squire

londonguy

^ Or afterimage. The thing is Geddy never met Chris although he was as mentioned a huge influence.

I thought Squire had talked about seeing Rush in 1983 in London and that they had a meeting to discuss him as a possible producer for GUP. If my memory is wrong, someone please straighten me out.

• Like 1

^ Or afterimage. The thing is Geddy never met Chris although he was as mentioned a huge influence.

I thought Squire had talked about seeing Rush in 1983 in London and that they had a meeting to discuss him as a possible producer for GUP. If my memory is wrong, someone please straighten me out.

According to Squire, that's true.

Have you ever met or had a chance to play with Geddy Lee? The man cites you as his biggest influence and was curious if that ever happened?

I have met Geddy Lee a long time ago at Wembley Arena when Rush played there. In fact, I was a possible canditate to produce a Rush album, but when I showed up there, Trevor Horn was sitting next to me. [laughs] I said to Trevor “What are you doing here?” and he said “Oh, I’ve been asked to come and meet the band because I might be producing them”, and I said “so have I!”. That was quite a long time ago – the early 80’s, I think. He cites me as a big influence? Well, that’s very nice of him. They do good work, that band.

• Like 6

According to Squire, that's true.

Have you ever met or had a chance to play with Geddy Lee? The man cites you as his biggest influence and was curious if that ever happened?

I have met Geddy Lee a long time ago at Wembley Arena when Rush played there. In fact, I was a possible canditate to produce a Rush album, but when I showed up there, Trevor Horn was sitting next to me. [laughs] I said to Trevor “What are you doing here?” and he said “Oh, I’ve been asked to come and meet the band because I might be producing them”, and I said “so have I!”. That was quite a long time ago – the early 80’s, I think. He cites me as a big influence? Well, that’s very nice of him. They do good work, that band.

I love the fact that Squire said that. :dweez: :chickendance:

• Like 1

they should just learn a part or two of close to the edge or anything else off that album and whip it out somewhere unexpectedly. Heart of The Sunrise anyone?

Ged playing heart of the sunrise with that gritty, nasty, disgusting (in a good way) beastly Fender Jazz sound would be orgasmic.

I think we need a few more threads in the wrong forums about this guy's death.

"This guy" was an incredible bass player, a forerunner in early classic prog, and a HUGE influence on Geddy's (and really the whole band's) playing. This is one of those rare times where I don't mind threads in the wrong place. :)

RIP Chris...

• Like 2

It would be so cool if Geddy played a portion of The Fish that segues straight into the main riff of Red Barchetta. That would SO fit like a glove.

Very sad news indeed. Chris Squire was a hugely talented and wildly creative man. I shudder to think of how many bassists continue to be influenced by his ideas.

Poo.

• Like 2