Playing Chicken With Ticketmaster

LocalsBandGuy

It's getting serious. I plan on being at both Sat & Mon, but I'm still holding out.

If anyone else is doing the same, let's post our results here and see how we did in the NYC metro area calling TM & StubHub on their bluffs.......

I start tomorrow at 8:55 AM.

• Like 2

Already set for Newark. Probably giving up on MSG.(Unless I get a great deal) Got two lower level seats for Philly three days before the show for $36 below cost each (with no monopoly fees.)

Could have had middle floor in Philly the day before,but passed.

I'd say get there early. That's what I was planning on doing when I didn't have seats and just be patient.

• Like 1

I got my ticket the morning of the Dallas show and scored big time. I was way down in the lower bowl not 25 feet from Al. Being on the side I could see every move Neil made and Ged made a couple of visits as well. I paid base price and was very happy with the results. I did have to reject tickets several times to get what I wanted. I was looking for floor tickets, but feel that I did better. There were times that Ged was silhouetted by green lasers that were so spectacular, and the people on the floor didn't see it. I advise patience, but your results my vary.

I don't know how some fans do this? It would drive me nuts if my show was in a few days and I still didn't have tickets or they weren't at will call.

Me also, I like having tickets before show date. But I was lucky to score 18th row to VA 10am day of show.

some say to have nose bleeds in hand, then buy the good day of show tix and get whatever you can for the rafter seats.

Its one of the many cool things Rush does, releasing late awesome seats to limit what scalpers can do with them.

I got my ticket the morning of the Dallas show and scored big time. I was way down in the lower bowl not 25 feet from Al. Being on the side I could see every move Neil made and Ged made a couple of visits as well. I paid base price and was very happy with the results. I did have to reject tickets several times to get what I wanted. I was looking for floor tickets, but feel that I did better. There were times that Ged was silhouetted by green lasers that were so spectacular, and the people on the floor didn't see it. I advise patience, but your results my vary.

At about 4:30, I walked up to the AAC Box Office and got 15th row center on the floor on my first attempt. Part of me wanted to be greedy and see if anything better might have popped up later, but I was happy enough with what I got.

• Like 1

I don't know how some fans do this? It would drive me nuts if my show was in a few days and I still didn't have tickets or they weren't at will call.

Just years of experience noticing how this all works. Once you are able to order online and see that only certain seats were being offered for sale while the rest are held back forces you to consider other options. I noticed better seats start mysteriously appearing in the weeks leading up to the show. If I don't get what I want when they go on sale, I just wait. Doesn't inspire peace of mind, but it always happens and I've just learned to trust the process.

In all likelihood, I've dealt with this crap for the last time and I'm pretty happy it's over. A friend of a friend bought tickets for Newark at the box office within hours of the show and ended up sitting (ok standing) in section B while that same friend bought tickets the day they went on sale and sat in section 130 last night.

So I'm pretty much done with that now. I'm only seeing shows that don't feature ticket games and legalized scalping. Rush was the only band that still tied me to these games.

• Like 1

Me also, I like having tickets before show date. But I was lucky to score 18th row to VA 10am day of show.

some say to have nose bleeds in hand, then buy the good day of show tix and get whatever you can for the rafter seats.

Its one of the many cool things Rush does, releasing late awesome seats to limit what scalpers can do with them.

That's not something exclusive to Rush though. For arena shows, once the stage is setup, most venues open up seats closer to the stage. If radio stations that were giving away tickets still have any, they will give them back to the venue before the show and good seats open up like that too. Rush is doing absolutely nothing to limit what the scalpers can do for their shows.

If Rush really wanted to eliminate the scalpers they would sell their tickets the way Iron Maiden does. They do a thing called paperless tickets. How it works is that they email their fan club members a pre-sale code for each show. The pre-sale usually takes place a couple days before the public sale date. Once you purchase the tickets, you get a confirmation number and you pick your tickets up at the venue where they will print out a receipt with you seat location on it by scanning the card you bought them with. Sure, it takes a little longer to get into the venue but this completely eliminates the scalpers getting the best seats and allows the diehard fan who want to spend the money to be able to sit up in the front half of the venue.

Now, wouldn't it be awesome if Rush did that instead?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

That's not something exclusive to Rush though. For arena shows, once the stage is setup, most venues open up seats closer to the stage. If radio stations that were giving away tickets still have any, they will give them back to the venue before the show and good seats open up like that too. Rush is doing absolutely nothing to limit what the scalpers can do for their shows.

If Rush really wanted to eliminate the scalpers they would sell their tickets the way Iron Maiden does. They do a thing called paperless tickets. How it works is that they email their fan club members a pre-sale code for each show. The pre-sale usually takes place a couple days before the public sale date. Once you purchase the tickets, you get a confirmation number and you pick your tickets up at the venue where they will print out a receipt with you seat location on it by scanning the card you bought them with. Sure, it takes a little longer to get into the venue but this completely eliminates the scalpers getting the best seats and allows the diehard fan who want to spend the money to be able to sit up in the front half of the venue.

Yes.

Not so sure it's that great, how does Maiden handle fans selling tickets due to change of plans, illness, work requirements, etc? If they allow fans to sell under those circumstances, they would have to police resells. It's Possible if they have a maximum resale price that is the same as original purchase price?

Some of Rush day of show tickets are side stage due to setup and radio stations. But many shows, with ticketmaster seat map technology, I have seen multiple rows, within first 20, released day of sale. No way that's due to stage setup nor would a radio station give those up. They have done this in the past, but with the new tech, you can see the volume of tickets released at the same exact time. Prime floor seats and prime lower level front of stage seats.

That's Rush doing their fans a solid.

Not so sure it's that great, how does Maiden handle fans selling tickets due to change of plans, illness, work requirements, etc? If they allow fans to sell under those circumstances, they would have to police resells. It's Possible if they have a maximum resale price that is the same as original purchase price?

Some of Rush day of show tickets are side stage due to setup and radio stations. But many shows, with ticketmaster seat map technology, I have seen multiple rows, within first 20, released day of sale. No way that's due to stage setup nor would a radio station give those up. They have done this in the past, but with the new tech, you can see the volume of tickets released at the same exact time. Prime floor seats and prime lower level front of stage seats.

I'm not sure how Maiden handles it when fans who have paperless tickets can't end up going. Maybe there's a way to get a refund, but if you don't have the tickets before the show then you can't actually sell them,

As for seats opening up at the last minute for Rush, I still think it has to do with the stage setup more than anything else. It happens with a lot of bands so it's hardly Rush doing a solid for their fans,

I'm not sure how Maiden handles it when fans who have paperless tickets can't end up going. Maybe there's a way to get a refund, but if you don't have the tickets before the show then you can't actually sell them,

As for seats opening up at the last minute for Rush, I still think it has to do with the stage setup more than anything else. It happens with a lot of bands so it's hardly Rush doing a solid for their fans,

For Boston, Alex third of floor section, an entire three rows, 13, 14 and 15 popped up day of show...about 50 tickets. Our very own Led Rush I believe scored on that one.

Bristow VA, center orch 2, block of 15 seats in the 18th row, 10 am day of show, I got lucky on that one. The guy next to me said a few hours later, same section, 14 th row. If those are stage view setup releases, then there should have been five thousand other "blocked view" seats release as these are all prime view seats. If radio stations had a sniff of them...you don't think they'd fight to keep them and have the mother of all promotions on air??

Those are only two shows where I happened to be looking at the seating map when huge blocks directly in front of stage turned from grey to that beautiful blue on sale color. Many TRFers have stories like this from other cities.

The Maiden way sounds like they really care about their fans. Interested if anyone knows what they do if there is a legitimate need to sell.

Rush has their way to help the common fan, sure a few tix are due to the famous "stage setup" but that's really a cover for releasing ganster of boatloads of Prime Mover seats day of sale.