Did Rush have groupies?

Tom Sawyer

Ok, I know according to the Rush ladies, Rush is just as sexy (maybe even more) than they were in the 70's, 80's and 90's. And I know the class and integrity of our Toronto Trio remains intact after 30+ years of touring. I have never, repeat never heard of anything in regards to the less-talked about backstage antics of Rock n Roll musicians regarding Rush members. They are good guys, but did the ladies ever make attempts?

Anyone have any insight into this?

Well, there's GG... laugh.gif Edited by Oberon

Don't know about the groupie thing!?, but did read (think it was in the Q Prog rock special) an article with Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy that when they were touring with Rush in the '70's while he was in the dressing room backstage doing the whole rock star thing Geddy Alex and Neil came into the room and started acting out parts from some American/Canadian (?) comedy show leave it to beaver (again not sure of title, don't have my Q mag handy) in front of Scott and his female companions!.

Sounds to me like the whole groupie thing was not on their list of priorities!.

2.gif

I recall another article, an interview with somebody who had opened for Rush back in the 70s, who remarked that Rush was happy with him because "he brought girls backstage" to wait for them. Don't know if it was a joke, but if the boys indulged on the road they've managed to keep it quiet.

There used to be a website called Groupie Central with a message board, but I couldn't recall finding any Rush info there. Don't bother Googling for it, either. Couldn't find anything, and I'm thorough. tongue.gif

My guess is they did have groupies, but they were all astro-physics and philosophy students who wanted to discuss the meaning of life with Neil, and discuss their theory that By-Tor and Necromancer were both allegorical representations of the conflicts in Vietnam and Cambodia.

And as for 2112.............

• Like 1

QUOTE (Oberon @ Aug 17 2005, 10:51 PM)
Well, there's GG... laugh.gif

sarcasm.gif

I have cleaned up my act considerably, thankyouverymuch.

The word "groupie" has such awful connotations: Slutty, nasty "chicks" willing to do "whatever" to get backstage to meet the band. I don't think that type of, ahem, person is attracted to Rush's music. And, I also believe that these guys are too dedicated to their music, as well as to their families, to be drawn into such seedy goings-on. The focus seems always to have been on the music itself as opposed to an image. But, no one is immune from human weaknesses. And, boys will be boys. So, I would think there were probably one or two indescretions here and there. Having said that, though, Rush has always had female fans. We're just outnumbered by the male fan base. But, we can hold our own with you guys. And, I for one find a certain amount of pride in knowing that people are surprised that I'm such a fan of Rush's music. As if a girl (whoa) could possibly understand what they're all about. NWW are unique and special, and while we do go on sometimes about "the guys," a lot of it for me is half-joking. Although, I would probably pass out cold if face-to-face with any of them. (One in particular, but I won't get into that. I don't want to sound like a groupie. ph34r.gif )
  • Like 1

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2005, 08:12 AM)
The word "groupie" has such awful connotations: Slutty, nasty "chicks" willing to do "whatever" to get backstage to meet the band. I don't think that type of, ahem, person is attracted to Rush's music.

You don't want to think "that" type of person is attracted to Rush. wink.gif

Takes all kinds to make the world go round and "that" type of chick is interested too.

What's on the outside doesn't always reflect the inside.

Edited by dweezil

They probably did to an extent. But you have to remember that Rush are a lot different than other bands from the '70s. A lot of the those bands sang about sex and drugs.

Neil wrote about dystopia societies and trees that talk to each other. Can you imagine a conversation between Neil and a groupie?

Neil: That's right, ladies. I wrote Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres.

Groupie: Really? wub.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 18 2005, 09:19 AM)
The word "groupie" has such awful connotations: Slutty, nasty "chicks" willing to do "whatever" to get backstage to meet the band. I don't think that type of, ahem, person is attracted to Rush's music.

Takes all kinds to make the world go round and "that" type of chick is interested too.

You're probably right. I don't.

I'm not saying they're bad people. It's just interesting how some women will go self-depreciating extents to hook-up with band members. I mean, why? What's the point? I don't get it. But, that's just my opinion. confused13.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2005, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 18 2005, 09:19 AM)

You're probably right. I don't.

I'm not saying they're bad people. It's just interesting how some women will go self-depreciating extents to hook-up with band members. I mean, why? What's the point? I don't get it. But, that's just my opinion. confused13.gif

It's all perception I suppose.

I'd never judge them. They all have different reasons for what they do. As do we all. And that is what makes us beautiful-the diverse nature of human beings.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 18 2005, 09:58 AM)
I'd never judge them. They all have different reasons for what they do. As do we all. And that is what makes us beautiful-the diverse nature of human beings.

Agreed. Who am I to judge, anyway?

QUOTE (Hyperspace @ Aug 18 2005, 09:20 AM)
They probably did to an extent. But you have to remember that Rush are a lot different than other bands from the '70s. A lot of the those bands sang about sex and drugs.
Neil wrote about dystopia societies and trees that talk to each other. Can you imagine a conversation between Neil and a groupie?

Groupie: Really? wub.gif

Because everyone knows that a woman who finds a certain drummer attractive couldn't POSSIBLY be smart, too.

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2005, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Aug 18 2005, 09:58 AM)

Agreed. Who am I to judge, anyway?

Who is anyone to judge really? wink.gif

Rush does teach tolerance and peace. wub.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 18 2005, 10:07 AM)

Groupie: Really?  wub.gif

Because everyone knows that a woman who finds a certain drummer attractive couldn't POSSIBLY be smart, too.

sarcasm.gif

Just a joke. Most Rush fans I know, both male and female, are smart people.

Merely commenting on the difference in subject matter.

Edited by Hyperspace

QUOTE (Hyperspace @ Aug 18 2005, 03:56 PM)

sarcasm.gif

I know it...sorry about the snippiness...that's a sore spot with me.

Friends? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 18 2005, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (Hyperspace @ Aug 18 2005, 03:56 PM)

sarcasm.gif

I know it...sorry about the snippiness...that's a sore spot with me.

Friends? biggrin.gif

I'd say most of the guys here know better, G.G. By definition we New World Women are brilliant. biggrin.gif

We'll let it go this time, Hyperspace. wink.gif Watch it from now on, huh?

QUOTE (Hyperspace @ Aug 18 2005, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 18 2005, 04:04 PM)

Friends?  biggrin.gif

yes.gif

trink39.gif

Excellent...thanks for understanding.

smile.gif

cosmo.gif <--- GG's favorite

Did you notice the "lucky hookers" T that Geddy was wearing in Rush in Rio (disc 2)

I wonder where he obtained that? And were they "lucky" indeed? drool1.gif

In a old issue of "Circus" or "Hit Parader" magazine ( have an extensive collection from late 70's and 80's I saved anything with RUSH articles) anyway not sure which one, but they had a behind the scenes look at RUSH on tour. In it the person doing the article mentioned a member of road crew coming backstage after the concert with a attractive young lady taking her to Alex's dressing room,He went on to say c'mon Alex you always said give the fans what they want! Then the writer said Alex let out a sigh and said "Not tonight I'm to damned tired."

A funny incident I still remember that happened on the Robert Klien radio show which was taped live at New York City. RUSH was the guest well (Alex and Geddy) Moving Pictures tour they did this show shortly after that nights concert (Madison Square Garden ?)

Well Robert couldn't get Alex and Geddy to talk (probably exhausted from that nights performance) alot of dead air Klien was getting pissed. But then he broke the ice by saying one of his wacky comments,Get these guys some hookers and pot loosen them up a bit ! Alex and Geddy exploded in laughter with the studio audience and it was a great interview after that. unsure.gif Sorry if i strayed from topic thought it kinda tied in...

Edited by softfilter