Is Geddy the only one that's happy while on stage this entire tour?

fraroc

Not to burst anyone's bubble but I think a lot of the "happiness" is acting. It seems to be a part of the choreography because it happens at the same time each show. Not to say there aren't "any" spontaneous moments, because there are.

Maybe no great loss with the Steinberger I agree as it was a very short term association but the Wal is different, it defines a important part of their career and certainly his most innovative bass playing! Of course if you are one of the many small minded people who don't like this period then I doubt if you'll agree!

Guess I'm small minded then. :)

My brain is a teeny pebble.

• Like 1

When I watch back a video clip I took in Dallas, there's a moment when Alex comes over to Geddy's side of the stage (where I was sitting) and gives a seemingly forced half smile. I'm guessing he has very mixed feelings about this tour, like a combination of being tired of the grind, frustrated that his arthritis keeps him from being able to play as consistently as in the past, but also *sad* that his days of playing live with Rush are winding down. I suspect a part of him is very ready to hang it up, while the other still loves the energy of playing live and the audience connection that comes with it. He seems the most conflicted about the band's future (Neil's ready to quit yesterday, whereas Geddy would love to go another 5-10 years) and I think it's part of why the early shows were seemingly difficult for him.

Of course, none of us are in their heads so anything we conclude is mere speculation. It's been good to see Al playing better and seeming more at ease recently, so hopefully he's in a good place and will continue to be there.

Edited by TexMike

Maybe no great loss with the Steinberger I agree as it was a very short term association but the Wal is different, it defines a important part of their career and certainly his most innovative bass playing! Of course if you are one of the many small minded people who don't like this period then I doubt if you'll agree!

Guess I'm small minded then. :)

My brain is a teeny pebble.

Stars in my pocket like grains of sand.... :D

• Like 1

I dunno, all three looked pretty happy during the recent Toronto shows. That said, I can recall seeing shows in the 80s where they all seemed a bit tired of it.

The reality is that none of us has a clue what's actually going on in any of their heads. I just try to enjoy the shows for what they are, and watch them while I can. As long as Rush continue to play live, I will buy my tickets and show up. But when they do play their last show, I'll simply wish them well. After more than 40 years of touring, if there's anyone has earned a comfy retirement, it's these guys.

Not to burst anyone's bubble but I think a lot of the "happiness" is acting. It seems to be a part of the choreography because it happens at the same time each show. Not to say there aren't "any" spontaneous moments, because there are.

Or maybe it's not acting and choreography but just that certain parts of certain songs always make them feel like smiling.

• Like 4

Or maybe it's not acting and choreography but just that certain parts of certain songs always make them feel like smiling.

Think what you want but it's all worked out in advance.

• Like 2

Very good point. I haven't seen evidence of Alex goofing off much during this tour.

In Boston Neil dropped a drumstick and it fell forward onto the stage. Alex picked it up and banged it against his guitar for about 20 seconds in lieu of strumming the chords. Laughs were had all around. In Newark, Alex also seemed fun and playful. I don't see this as much of an issue.

Think what you want but it's all worked out in advance.

Us old-timers will remember that there was a spot in the shows back in the day where Alex pretended to twist his ankle, with Geddy looking on in horror.

• Like 1

Not mentioning the song name...but in a YouTube video of one of the "surprise" songs that they have played a few times this tour, Neil actually had a little grin on his face! I was totally surprised when I saw that!

Very good point. I haven't seen evidence of Alex goofing off much during this tour.

In Boston Neil dropped a drumstick and it fell forward onto the stage. Alex picked it up and banged it against his guitar for about 20 seconds in lieu of strumming the chords. Laughs were had all around. In Newark, Alex also seemed fun and playful. I don't see this as much of an issue.

That was great. It happened a second time but he only played for a second or two (end of the song, I don't recall exactly which one).

I suspect there was some frustration and increased focus from Alex early in the tour. Now that he's found his groove he definitely appears to be enjoying himself much more.

I had the same reaction - saw them in Philly and had a different experience than most. I noticed that Geddy ran to the center stage many times - same as older concerts where Alex and Geddy would normally jam together - but this time I noticed Alex staying in his spot. He did goof around a few times with Neil, but it was odd enough to make me wonder if something was wrong or if he wasn't feeling well. It was a much different concert than, say, the Time Machine tour.

I had the same reaction - saw them in Philly and had a different experience than most. I noticed that Geddy ran to the center stage many times - same as older concerts where Alex and Geddy would normally jam together - but this time I noticed Alex staying in his spot. He did goof around a few times with Neil, but it was odd enough to make me wonder if something was wrong or if he wasn't feeling well. It was a much different concert than, say, the Time Machine tour.

Maybe he had the runs?
  • Like 1

Maybe he had the runs?

That would explain a lot actually

• Like 1

I noticed that too in the Tulsa show I watched. Made me feel sorry for Geddy. He kept trying to engage Alex, but I never saw, in all the shows I've watched, Alex so absorbed in his playing.