Is Geddy the only one that's happy while on stage this entire tour?

fraroc

I saw them in Philly last night and I couldn't disagree more. Alex and Neil were totally acting goofy and smiling. What a show it was. Can't wait for Newark tomorrow.

maybe all the pain medication kicked in at the same time.

Yeah, the prescription and nonprescription.

I think they are all happy...but Geddy is a consummate Entertainer...that´s the difference i think :geddy: Taking all those basses (21 if I am correct) on the road and playing all of them during the concert has never been done in the history of Rock and Roll that i can remember.....always looking for something to surprise his audience.... :banana:

When I saw John Fogerty in 2012 he used 25 guitars.

25 guitars for 3-4 chord songs? I consider that overkill.

• Like 2

I think they are all happy...but Geddy is a consummate Entertainer...that´s the difference i think :geddy: Taking all those basses (21 if I am correct) on the road and playing all of them during the concert has never been done in the history of Rock and Roll that i can remember.....always looking for something to surprise his audience.... :banana:

When I saw John Fogerty in 2012 he used 25 guitars.

25 guitars for 3-4 chord songs? I consider that overkill.

Geddy is using 21 electric basses i stated...nobody has done it I repeat....

Geddy is energetic as always, Neil is Neil, and Alex was pretty stationary at the start of the tour...He said in an interview "we're having a riot" so I think he's having fun.

This pleases me.

I've actually been noticing that Neil has been smiling much more on this tour and it seems he's enjoying it more... then again its from what i saw, and Alex is always Alex! at the Dallas show he seemed to be quite enjoying himself making little jokes and motions while being serious as well in his solos and other parts, I witnessed him watching the intermission video right before Tom Sawyer kicked in, he was amused and had a smile on his face.. and Geddy, is Geddy, always out there jumping and bunny hopping and what not!

I saw Philly and also Jersey I was 11 rows almost dead center, slightly closer to Neils left shoulder than his right shoulder. Alex looked very into the music, grooving to.it, sometimes with his eyes closed.Hey looked to be enjoying performing. Neil looked his usual focused self. Did not see limitation in.movement or discomfort. He played well and looked good.They seem to be gaining strength and playing better as the tour progresses.

In Newark, on the video screen, during a certain song, there was, what looked like a look of enjoyment and pride and satisfaction on Neil Peart's face.

Alex, some technical glitches aside, that were not his fault, kicked ass.

Geddy sounded great.

They still love playing.

Edited by ReRushed

Saw them in Bristow on the first leg and they were still "rehearsing." Been scoping since and IMO the second Toronto show- was when they reached the peak- flawless in front of the camera and pretty much every concert since- Chi, Philly, Newark.... They are now what I call "zenning it." Joy, skill, perfection, magic. I've never seen anything like this- what a way to close out a career on the road!!!! No doubt the night at the LA Forum will be one for the gods! Edited by celticsalmon

Alex and Neil look like they're loosening up and being more happy now. I'd even go as far as to say the two of them are playing much better now than they did in Tulsa and the beginning of the tour. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they reach the end of the tour in LA, and they go "How about just one more show?" and then after that show saying "How about a few more?" And before you know it, second leg.

Alex and Neil look like they're loosening up and being more happy now. I'd even go as far as to say the two of them are playing much better now than they did in Tulsa and the beginning of the tour. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they reach the end of the tour in LA, and they go "How about just one more show?" and then after that show saying "How about a few more?" And before you know it, second leg.

You have never been old have you?... :codger:

• Like 5

Think it's dissapointing that Geddy decided to use a whole bunch of Jazz basses that pretty much had the same tone as well as other instruments that had no history with the band while neglecting others that had played a big part in the bands sound in earlier years but I guess it's his gig!

***Warning***

***References some potential spoilers***

I haven't really noticed Alex or Neil being any more or less animated at the shows I have attended, or in the videos. We might be seeing something that really isn't there.

But, given some of the pressure of the "last tour of this magnitude", the fact they are playing a significant amount of material they have not played in many years (and likely had to relearn those songs, as well as don't have the benefit of the muscle memory they have with the often played stuff), and the fact they both have physical ailments to work through.... it would make sense if they were a little more serious.

Think it's dissapointing that Geddy decided to use a whole bunch of Jazz basses that pretty much had the same tone as well as other instruments that had no history with the band while neglecting others that had played a big part in the bands sound in earlier years but I guess it's his gig!

On what do you base that assumption?

That he's playing a bunch of old Fender Jazz basses for a start and not the Wal or Steinberger which were a large part of Geddys bass tone and band sound at one time!

Ah. No great loss there. :)

• Like 4

That he's playing a bunch of old Fender Jazz basses for a start and not the Wal or Steinberger which were a large part of Geddys bass tone and band sound at one time!

Ah. No great loss there. :)

Maybe not, but maybe at least using the Steinberger for Distant Early Warning (and wearing the 80s blazer with the shoulder pads and the Eraserhead button) would have taken us back to 1984 in a way.

• Like 1

Maybe no great loss with the Steinberger I agree as it was a very short term association but the Wal is different, it defines a important part of their career and certainly his most innovative bass playing! Of course if you are one of the many small minded people who don't like this period then I doubt if you'll agree! Edited by New Digital Man

Maybe no great loss with the Steinberger I agree as it was a very short term association but the Wal is different, it defines a important part of their career and certainly his most innovative bass playing! Of course if you are one of the many small minded people who don't like this period then I doubt if you'll agree!

Guess I'm small minded then. :)

This is why I'm really beginning to think they'll break up after R40, We all know that Neil rarely smiles on stage, even in his prime because he was always stoic by nature while playing drums. I'm not concerned by that at all actually. After watching some youtube videos of this tour, I've noticed that Alex looks absolutley miserable on stage. Normally I wouldn't think anything of a band member not smiling while playing on stage but Alex is supposed to be the funny guy in the band, the guy that used to make everybody on stage and in the audience laugh with his random antics. I'm seeing none of that in the videos.

The only one I see remotely happy is Geddy. Unlike the other two, he seems to be happy on stage preforming for sold out shows after 40 years.

Nah. Lerxst has seemed pretty damn happy many nights this tour. Even Neil was caught smiling one night and was in good enough spirits to put on a fake circa 1976 mustache for the second set one night.