Is Geddy the only one that's happy while on stage this entire tour?

fraroc

This is why I'm really beginning to think they'll break up after R40, We all know that Neil rarely smiles on stage, even in his prime because he was always stoic by nature while playing drums. I'm not concerned by that at all actually. After watching some youtube videos of this tour, I've noticed that Alex looks absolutley miserable on stage. Normally I wouldn't think anything of a band member not smiling while playing on stage but Alex is supposed to be the funny guy in the band, the guy that used to make everybody on stage and in the audience laugh with his random antics. I'm seeing none of that in the videos.

The only one I see remotely happy is Geddy. Unlike the other two, he seems to be happy on stage preforming for sold out shows after 40 years.

Edited by fraroc

Neil is as (in)expressive as usual but yeah I've noticed while watching a periscope feed that Alex smiles less than on previous tours. I guess it's because playing while suffering physically isn't pleasant. You've probably read the interviews about Neil's tendonitis and Alex's arthritis so I don't need to explain more than that.

They all appeared pretty animated in Chicago. Especially when Neil pulled that goofy little stunt ;).
  • Like 3

I think they are all happy...but Geddy is a consummate Entertainer...that´s the difference i think :geddy: Taking all those basses (21 if I am correct) on the road and playing all of them during the concert has never been done in the history of Rock and Roll that i can remember.....always looking for something to surprise his audience.... :banana:
  • Like 1

I would agree if I'd only seen videos of the first shows. He's been much more animated in the past 10 shows or so.
  • Like 1

Alex was stonefaced the beginning shows. but he's come alive more. which is good.

Ged i think out of the 3 did indeed push this tour. though

and Neil is uh.........being Neil, lol

Mick

• Like 1

As a person who has delt with chronic pain for 20 years. I can tell you it is hard to be happy when every movement is painful and takes all your effort to move. Know think about that every time Alex plays a note and the same is true for Neil every time he moves a drum stick these two guys are suffering every second they are playing on stage and for hours after a performance.
  • Like 2

Geddy is energetic as always, Neil is Neil, and Alex was pretty stationary at the start of the tour but now he's more mobile and seems to be enjoying himself. He said in an interview "we're having a riot" so I think he's having fun.
  • Like 1

It's true Alex didn't look very happy at the start. Besides the arthritic pain, I think it's possible that he was a little rustier than the other two and needed several shows to warm up. And for all we know, he could've also been as sad about this being the last big tour as we are and perhaps now he's made peace with it (or even begun to think he could handle another tour, *should it happen*).

I've noticed this as well, just watching videos on youtube and such....it just 'feels' or looks different....I dunno, they look more bummed to me

I think they are all happy...but Geddy is a consummate Entertainer...that´s the difference i think :geddy: Taking all those basses (21 if I am correct) on the road and playing all of them during the concert has never been done in the history of Rock and Roll that i can remember.....always looking for something to surprise his audience.... :banana:

When I saw John Fogerty in 2012 he used 25 guitars.

Please stop reading into every detail. They may be pulling off the shows with difficulty, but just because they aren't constantly smiling or goofing off doesn't mean jack. Just enjoy the damn music this may be all we get.

Damn.

Agree, DAMN the friggin knitpickers :smash:
  • Like 1

This is why I'm really beginning to think they'll break up after R40, We all know that Neil rarely smiles on stage, even in his prime because he was always stoic by nature while playing drums. I'm not concerned by that at all actually. After watching some youtube videos of this tour, I've noticed that Alex looks absolutley miserable on stage. Normally I wouldn't think anything of a band member not smiling while playing on stage but Alex is supposed to be the funny guy in the band, the guy that used to make everybody on stage and in the audience laugh with his random antics. I'm seeing none of that in the videos.

The only one I see remotely happy is Geddy. Unlike the other two, he seems to be happy on stage preforming for sold out shows after 40 years.

It's because the other two are in pain, genius.

You really do like posting fears and whines, it seems.