How does this tour rate? (possible spoilers)

LittleRushmonkey

Seeing as I probably won't see them this tour how is does this tour rate against the previous tours for you? Best? Worse? Somewhere inbetween? Also would be interesting to know the type of crowd. Is it more die hard fans or just casual listeners?

I'm posting it here so you can include anything about the songs you loved hearing and so you don't spoil it for anyone :) .

Edited by LittleRushmonkey

It has an extra energy to it. I have heard better set lists in previous tours but it stands up well this time around. i only went to one show but the crowd was into it and had a great mix of die hards and young fans.

Hemispheres and Xanadu were my favorite.

• Like 5

There seems to be a lot of frantic energy from the fans on this tour. People know it's the last big tour and it feels different. Almost an "I'd better experience it now because this could be my last chance" kind of thing. I'm seeing more people actually watching the show and less pictures and videos being made. Though during Xanadu thousands of cell phones come out. :LOL:
  • Like 2

Though during Xanadu thousands of cell phones come out.

But of course! :wub: :wub:

I have a picture that I took just of people's cell phones during Xanadu. :LOL:

• Like 1

like it alot

next question.

and god no, please don't ask anything about Neil or the 'smart' people will need to start ranting about politics again.

I think some of the deep cuts have made some fans very happy. I love the way they did the progression of songs. I love the way the set gets stripped back..just give me the guys and their music. For fans that like big flashy pyro heavy shows they probably are not as happy. Mainly I am stoked that I'm still getting a great show from my favorite band after 40 years...so lucky
  • Like 1

I love the concept of the countdown, I don't think you're going to totally please everyone that goes to a show because there's always SOME song that someone really wants to hear, but I think they've dug deep enough to keep most of the diehards happy!

My only "thing" with the set list is that they didn't include at least ONE from every album... I know they did PW to death last tour, but they could have pulled something they didn't do last tour, and put one from each of the "other avoided" albums on the set list....(even though the neglected albums aren't really my favorites, just for continuity)

Anyway...I think this tour rates pretty high in my mind, though, it brought back several songs I never got to see, live and in person! And the show itself is kind of cool!

I have only seen a handful of Rush tours so I can't compare them all, but I have to say this was one of the best live shows I have ever seen (and I've seen hundreds of live shows over the past 3-4 decades). The setlist was pretty fantastic, of course, but what really did it for me was the concept of the stage show, the way the entire show moved backwards in time. It was completely unique, and it was a wonderful way to highlight their career. A really great retrospective. If they had performed the same songs without changing the stage setup it would have been fine, but the impact would have been lost. I can't imagine them doing a better show.
  • Like 3

Certainly one of their better tours and since it is ongoing and the anticipation was high for this people are thinking this may be their best tour ever. I know everyone is pointing out all the deep cuts and everything here although when I think of one of the more interesting sets SnA 2007 leg comes to mind. Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, Bangkok and a lot of other pretty good staples made for one killer set.

The highlights this tour is of course Jacobs Ladder, Cygnus, Hemispheres. And although that sounds good of course a lot has to be abbreviated including Lakeside/Anthem. Don't mean to be picky here if you would have told me before the tour those two would be played I would have loved it but reality is its going to impossible for him to sing it the way he did in 1975.

So to answer question I think because of that second set ending its going to end up being one of the more remembered tours for sure. Production was great although I wouldn't say the lighting and stage design was as over the top as I was expecting compared to last tours. I think the best on stage production in terms of visuals and everything was Time Machine.

I really liked the set list to be honest. I like the fact that they basically ignored the era I am most ambivalent about, PoW to T4E, performing only Animate and Roll the Bones. And I liked that they pulled out quite a few surprise tracks, like Hemispheres and Cygnus X-1, even if some of them aren't necessarily my favorite song from the album they represented.

I'm sure if I listen to a soundboard or to the inevitable live album there will be some clunkers from Geddy, but in the moment, being there, I thought he sounded amazing. Which is all that really counts.

• Like 4

like it alot

next question.

and god no, please don't ask anything about Neil or the 'smart' people will need to start ranting about politics again.

no one's even talking about that shit except you.

The second set saves this tour. The first set is basically more of the same for the last 10+ years. I would have loved to see Neil play Chromey for the whole show using concert toms, double bass etc.... That kit adds so much more to RUSH's drum sound. I do agree about the stage props and the guy's out there messing with them. distracting. They boy's played great last night in Boston.

The feel of the show was different from any recent tours I've attended. Second set I actually felt like it was the era of the songs being played. Might have helped that a few long hair hippie stoners were sitting next to us smoking something. Loved the slowly stripped down set and the lasers. The fans were feelin it so much and everyone was being so cool, I have not experienced that at any concert in a while. Got a bunch of high fives for no reason except that people were so into the music together. Even saw fewer cell phones in the air than usual, as people were so engrossed in actually watching the show. It was surreal to me, felt authentic more than just nostalgic. If this is the end it's a great way to go out.
  • Like 6

For those fans stuck in 70's, they'll only like half the show. For those who like all era's, this is the show to go to. I loved it. I would have left out LP only because Ged can't sing it anymore which is pretty minor. Best song list for me in the last 4 tours.

The feel of the show was different from any recent tours I've attended. Second set I actually felt like it was the era of the songs being played. Might have helped that a few long hair hippie stoners were sitting next to us smoking something. Loved the slowly stripped down set and the lasers. The fans were feelin it so much and everyone was being so cool, I have not experienced that at any concert in a while. Got a bunch of high fives for no reason except that people were so into the music together. Even saw fewer cell phones in the air than usual, as people were so engrossed in actually watching the show. It was surreal to me, felt authentic more than just nostalgic. If this is the end it's a great way to go out.

:goodone:

I would still take the VT tour as the best in the last 30 years since MP. The 5 year absence really added to the excitement. Geddy's vocals were incredible and the setlist was one of the longer of the evening with at 2:45. This tour, I have to admit, the first set up until DEW didn't do much for me but the 2nd set was full of not expected songs. JL, Cygnus and Xanadu, almost worth the price of admission.
  • Like 1

That is an excellent point londonguy, they had only done one evening with tour before VT and of course the return since the hiatus was really special. Even though that set now looks like nothing but staples it was a very special tour. We have been spoiled since then with more rush live then ever expected considering what happened years ago that it is easy to forget how special that tour was.
  • Like 1

I like all Rush eras, 70s more than others, but all of them. Since they are spreading R40 setlist over the most albums of any tour that I can recall...this is by far their best setlist since MP. Check out tours from mid 80s, it was scary how quickly they phased out material from their formative years, even just a few years after 70s ended.

The last few tours went very light on 70s Rush. Even TM didn't dig that deep.

Lately it's been like...let's give them LVS, WM, 2112 and maybe one other, depending on the tour. And usually the one other 70s tune is something played a lot, like Trees or CTTH. With the big exception being Circumstances on SnA tour. 20 whopping minutes out of three hours.

The first R40 set is also good, nice touch with a few from CA. Would have been cool to hear CTTC or BSOM before they retire, but oh well. And regarding the Original Tin, PoW, we got plenty of that last tour, more than a man can endure ;)