A Great Truth Must Be Told

JohnRogers

Not to worry. Dilemma solved. Permanent Waves will be included in my latest seventies' poll. Zumbi withdrew his vote and is abstaining from voting in future threads in protest. :) Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I've yet to see anyone offer a valid argument for why PeW would be considered an 80s album. When it was released means absolutely NOTHING! Rush could have released it yesterday if they wanted to, but that wouldn't make it a 2015 album Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 2

It's kinda both. You can have your own option, and what not. It sounds like an 80's album, and technically it is, but it was recorded in 1979. I call it a 70's album if I'm referring to the recording or writing, and an 80's album if I'm referring to release date.

You should run for political office.

;)

Segue Myles, another brilliant man. Excellent points, you have earned a cool beverage in the warm sun. Accompany that with some Girls in their Summer Clothes on the "radio".

Thank you!

It's true though, if a new decade begins with a 0 year, then going back in time one should find a year 0. And we count with one being the smallest numerical digit, with 0 representing nothing. But if a 0 is used at the end, it represents a whole number, something of weight and substance.

Babylonian scribe: Oh my GOD!! I've just invented the Zero!!

Wife [Down the hall]: What was that?!!

Babylonian scribe: Nothing...nothing.....

To be technical, the Arabs invented the 0. ;)

I've yet to see anyone offer a valid argument for why PeW would be considered an 80s album. When it was released means absolutely NOTHING! Rush could have released it yesterday if they wanted to, but that wouldn't make it a 2015 album

I've yet to see anyone offer a valid argument for why PeW would be considered an 80s album. When it was released means absolutely NOTHING! Rush could have released it yesterday if they wanted to, but that wouldn't make it a 2015 album

Yet the men that wrote, recorded and produced the record deliberately went out of their way to wait for 1980. Deliberately wrote and recorded the songs with a "1980s" sensibility.

So yeah, lets ignore Rush on this one ;)

Yet the men that wrote, recorded and produced the record deliberately went out of their way to wait for 1980. Deliberately wrote and recorded the songs with a "1980s" sensibility.

Like I have already said, the release date doesn't matter; neither does the style of music. I hope you realize that they didn't know what was going to happen in the 80s, so I don't think they were writing with a "1980s sensibility." Either way, Natural Science doesn't quite remind me of Simple Minds. Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Like I have already said, the release date doesn't matter; neither does the style of music. I hope you realize that they didn't know what was going to happen in the 80s, so I don't think they were writing with a "1980s sensibility." Either way, Natural Science doesn't quite remind me of Simple Minds.

I took that post as sarcasm.

If not... :scared:

*This* thread is the reason so many other music fans hate us! :D

We are arguing about math and the definition of time (Segue is correct, by the way, decades and millenia begin in year "1"), whereas fans of other bands often don't even own a watch!

How about this.... can we all agree that Permanent Waves was a *GREAT* album, regardless of its decade? ;)

• Like 2

*This* thread is the reason so many other music fans hate us! :D

We are arguing about math and the definition of time (Segue is correct, by the way, decades and millenia begin in year "1"), whereas fans of other bands often don't even own a watch!

How about this.... can we all agree that Permanent Waves was a *GREAT* album, regardless of its decade? ;)

Actually, decades, centuries, and millenia begin continuously (an infinite number of them in the time I took to write this post). The eighth decade of what is commonly referred to as the twentieth century did indeed begin on 1/1/1971. The seventies, on the other hand, is commonly taken as the decade that began on 1/1/1970 and 12/31/1979; that's why it's called the seventies.

As far as other people hating us, that's perfectly OK with me. Those people probably hate the transcendent Permanent Waves as well, regardless of the decade.

• Like 1

Like I have already said, the release date doesn't matter; neither does the style of music. I hope you realize that they didn't know what was going to happen in the 80s, so I don't think they were writing with a "1980s sensibility." Either way, Natural Science doesn't quite remind me of Simple Minds.

I took that post as sarcasm.

If not... :scared:

Yeah labt, it really doesnt matter, its just fun differing on opinion. Rush has spoken at length how they were influenced by the new wave bands and how that influence impacted their music on PeW and the records that followed. I think most musicians and fans knew that the epic prog and classic rock era was in the midst of a substantial change in late 1979, thus 80s sensibility.

We know Rush began to write more concise tunes, and more new wavish instrumentation and style on PeW. All speak to "80s sensibility" ;). And they chose to wait until 1980 to release.

But since PeW has JL and NS, its a perfect bridge ������ from 70s to 80s.

Regarding theNat Sci comment, you don't hear new wave influence in that song?? Ah,there's a new thread !

I always took the new wave influence to be a reaction to the opprobrium of the critics who had embraced the early new wave artists, the line "computerized clinics for superior cynics who dance to a synthetic band" being Rush's response to them, as well as the album title being a reaction to the transitory nature of new wave as compared to the permanence of the music they were making. Since then I've heard interviews (contemporaneous to the time) that the members of Rush had positive things to say about at least certain new wave artists so this may not have been their position.

As far as the album being released on the first day of the 80s, is there any evidence that it was the members of Rush who drove that decision? Usually it's the record company that does.

I recall Alex sayin way back he wanted them to wait on purpose to 1-1-1980. I believe the record was ready a couple ������ weeks before.

Since radio stations had it and played it prior to 1-1-80, it probably was ready beforehand. Probably quite a bit more than two weeks. In the 1970s.

They recorded in The fall of 79 and played some PeW warn up dates before recording the album, SoR and freewill. So it was played live in before Pew was released.

Edited by Gabrielgil513