Toronto first show vs Toronto second show

Phantom

For those who were at both shows, how would you compare Wednesday's vs. Friday's?.... not so much from the perspective of the set list, but more so from the bands performance and the crowd energy etc.

I was at both shows. Crowd energy was clearly higher on Friday, no question. Part of that lies in being end of the week, part I think from the setlist. While Red Barchetta was well received on Wednesday, the place went nuts when they started playing YYZ on Friday night. And having Ben Mink there to join the band in performing Losing It was just an incredible, poignant moment - and one not lost on anyone in the audience.

Alex, Geddy and Neil all seemed to take their game up a level on Friday, perhaps feeding on the crowd. Magic doesn't always happen ... but sometimes it really does.

It's hard to say ... both shows were spectacular. The difference, I believe, was in the Friday crowd being a bit looser because no one had to go to work the next day. The ACC was definitely a louder building last night. You couldn't even hear half of 2112 for the crowd screaming. Definitely energetic :-)

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 5

I was at the Wed show and I was beside the stage Section 110 18 rows up (Alex side) and in my section everyone stood all the way threw the show but in the next Section 109 sat for most of the shows and I look at my brother and said WTF are they sitting down for it's a Rush show - Heck I have Cerebral Palsy and I Crutches and I stood for the whole shows and that not easy for me to stand that long but I did, I did lean against the back of the chair a few times to take the pressure off of my feet but I was standing!

Anyways got that off my chest,

I thought the Opening song and Subdivision,Tom Sawyer and a lot of the older songs I thought the crowd was really into as specially Working Man I though and Alex wailed on that solo wow. But over all the crowd was into it as I'm sure they where more into it on Friday because of what transpired that night . Should be a great DVD nevertheless!

• Like 4

I was at both shows. Crowd energy was clearly higher on Friday, no question. Part of that lies in being end of the week, part I think from the setlist. While Red Barchetta was well received on Wednesday, the place went nuts when they started playing YYZ on Friday night. And having Ben Mink there to join the band in performing Losing It was just an incredible, poignant moment - and one not lost on anyone in the audience.

Alex, Geddy and Neil all seemed to take their game up a level on Friday, perhaps feeding on the crowd. Magic doesn't always happen ... but sometimes it really does.

It's hard to say ... both shows were spectacular. The difference, I believe, was in the Friday crowd being a bit looser because no one had to go to work the next day. The ACC was definitely a louder building last night. You couldn't even hear half of 2112 for the crowd screaming. Definitely energetic :-)

I was a both myself (different seats for each show) and while I thoroughly enjoyed Wednesday's performance (yeah...a couple of flubs here and there, but overall a great show), Friday night was something special. The buzz outside the ACC was more electric. The crowd anticipation inside the building before the show was fantastic. My buddy and I met and talked to visitors from Indianapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, and Glasgow. Yes Glasgow...Scotland...in full kilts! When I asked each of them why Toronto, they all had the same answer...they had to see Rush in Toronto, for what might be the last time. That took it to a whole new level for me. They managed to sort out the sound issues from Wednesday and you could tell that Pratt, Dirk, and Lerxst wanted this to be special. I have never known Rush to ever mail a performance in...in fact, they fight for every note every time. But something about last night was different. There was emotion from those guys. They wanted it so bad to be epic and the crowd let them know it. I was very lucky to be there...I know it, trust me. It really will be a night that I won't soon forget, thanks in large part to both my brothers and sisters of the Rush "Nation" as well as those 3 guys who give everything they have to put a smile on our faces. We owe them everything.
  • Like 5

One thing I noticed 1st to 2nd (just watched both solos) was Neil forgot in the 2nd show to do the big "4 limb intertwined double-bass/tom roll crescendo", which to me has been his main calling card from the very beginning. So weird. Then again, he kinda looked like he was unsure what the next part of the solo was in each performance, which I think ties to age as well as his new improv nature. Hope they pick the first solo and most of the 2nd show.

I was at the Wed show and I was beside the stage Section 110 18 rows up (Alex side) and in my section everyone stood all the way threw the show but in the next Section 109 sat for most of the shows and I look at my brother and said WTF are they sitting down for it's a Rush show - Heck I have Cerebral Palsy and I Crutches and I stood for the whole shows and that not easy for me to stand that long but I did, I did lean against the back of the chair a few times to take the pressure off of my feet but I was standing!

I thought the Opening song and Subdivision,Tom Sawyer and a lot of the older songs I thought the crowd was really into as specially Working Man I though and Alex wailed on that solo wow. But over all the crowd was into it as I'm sure they where more into it on Friday because of what transpired that night . Should be a great DVD nevertheless!

Big props to you good sir.

• Like 1

I was at both shows and I can say unequivocally and enthusiastically that Fridays show was better in so many ways.

Neil appeared to be hitting harder..

Geds singing was fantastic. Go on YouTube ad watch the performances on the 70s material in the first week to two weeks of the tour. It seems like he finally hit a comfort zone and is pushing himself to sing alot higher now that he is in mid-tour form. He definitely sang alot stronger on Friday.

Alex and ged appeared to be alot goofier Friday and were smiling more. Maybe Wednesday they were nervous and tense.

Alex had a few flubs during his solos on a number of tracks in the first half on Wednesday, and there were some technical issues. (Ged bass was in the wrong tuning to start headlong flight, and had to stand there an uncomfortable 10 seconds before they exchanged for another bass).

The crowd was JACKED on Friday night whereas on Wednesday people seemed more reserved .

Of the two, friday was far superior. They were on fire and looked a bit more confident.

• Like 3

I was at both shows and I can say unequivocally and enthusiastically that Fridays show was better in so many ways.

Neil appeared to be hitting harder..

Geds singing was fantastic. Go on YouTube ad watch the performances on the 70s material in the first week to two weeks of the tour. It seems like he finally hit a comfort zone and is pushing himself to sing alot higher now that he is in mid-tour form. He definitely sang alot stronger on Friday.

Alex and ged appeared to be alot goofier Friday and were smiling more. Maybe Wednesday they were nervous and tense.

Alex had a few flubs during his solos on a number of tracks in the first half on Wednesday, and there were some technical issues. (Ged bass was in the wrong tuning to start headlong flight, and had to stand there an uncomfortable 10 seconds before they exchanged for another bass).

The crowd was JACKED on Friday night whereas on Wednesday people seemed more reserved .

Of the two, friday was far superior. They were on fire and looked a bit more confident.

From watching on Periscope it definitely seemed like everything went a lot more smoothly on Friday.

Big props to you good sir.

Yes, big props for propping yourself up properly without any props...!!

• Like 3

Was at both shows. Friday was 500x better. They played wayyyyy tighter and the crowd was wayyyyy better. Wednesday, there were some technical issues and sloppy playing from all 3 of the guys (but specifically Alex had a rough night).

Friday, from Roll the Bones onward....the greatest. There was magic in the air that night.

• Like 2

I was at both shows. Even though I had floor tickets for Wednesday and upper deck cheap seats for Friday, I still enjoyed Friday infinitely more! The band played so much better and they seemed less nervous and had more fun. This made the crowd much more into it (also people are more hyper on weekends in general) which elevated the whole experience.

Add to that a performance of Losing It and you have a perfect show that I'll remember forever.

Having said all of that, if I had only gone on Wednesday I still would have been happy since it was still a great show overall.

Edited by toronto_downtown

Was at both shows. Friday was 500x better. They played wayyyyy tighter and the crowd was wayyyyy better. Wednesday, there were some technical issues and sloppy playing from all 3 of the guys (but specifically Alex had a rough night).

Friday, from Roll the Bones onward....the greatest. There was magic in the air that night.

It was also pleasantly suprising because that was the 3rd show I went to this tour, and that was by far the best.

They had something to prove that night, and I got kinda choked up thinking it had alot to do with, this is their hometown, and our hometown, and they're our favourite sons (rather, grandpappies? lol)

They final did losing it. Do u think it was one off

I read on rushisaband.com that they played the song in soundcheck in Montreal today. Which means they could potentialy play it again at somepoint. Your guess is as good as mine as to when that would be.

Was at both shows (Wednesday in the 100 level and Friday in the 300 level on the side of the stage). Friday's show was much better from a performance, setlist and crowd perspective as noted in previous comments by others. If they use Friday's performance, the song selection covers more new ground not previously covered in other Rush DVD's. The vibe was really there on Friday. Regardless of which show they end up picking, I hope they take the entire performance (Warts and All) instead of piecing together a best of from both nights (maybe they'll use 1 show just for visuals only). Edited by soctheo
  • Like 1

Was at both shows (Wednesday in the 100 level and Friday in the 300 level on the side of the stage). Friday's show was much better from a performance, setlist and crowd perspective as noted in previous comments by others. If they use Friday's performance, the song selection covers more new ground not previously covered in other Rush DVD's. The vibe was really there on Friday. Regardless of which show they end up picking, I hope they take the entire performance (Warts and All) instead of piecing together a best of from both nights (maybe they'll use 1 show just for visuals only).

I do too. I'd rather they included the flubs and other off moments.

IF this is truly their last grand tour, I hope they spare no cost and go all out on the production of the DVD.

If they could just make it like S&A's or R30 I'd be happy. And add a bunch of extras. :)

• Like 2

I'm sure they will use bits and pieces of both shows at least for the visuals. From what I've heard the Friday show is probably going to be featured for most of the audio though. That was my second DVD show, I was at Maple Leaf Gardens for the GUP taping. Oddly enough I still haven't seen that DVD. I do have the little piece of paper that they put on every seat welcoming us to the show. Bet there isn't too many of those around.