Favorite member of Rush ?

Tuesday's Gone

Favorite member of Rush ?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favorite musician in Rush ?

• Geddy Lee
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Neil Peart
    • Too hard to choose
  2. 2. Who do you prefer, personality-wise ?

• Geddy Lee
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Neil Peart
    • Too hard to choose
  3. 3. Who do you like the least, personality-wise ?

• Geddy Lee
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Neil Peart
    • Too hard to choose

I don't know why Neil has to be so shitty to people who like him.

I guess to him the world is sharply divided into long awaited friends to be embraced warmly and strangers to be ignored (his appreciative fans would fall into the latter category).

Sure, there are no doubt lots of loony fans out there that they've been bothered by over the years, but the typical fan - especially in the very controlled and safe environment of a meet and greet or autograph signing - isn't expecting to be seen as a "long awaited friend"; they just want to show their appreciation, maybe get a handshake, photo or autograph. Alex and Geddy seem to have managed to survive the ordeal for 40 some years.

Love his drumming and writing and he's probably a great guy to those who know him but his attitude towards the fans leaves much to be desired.

I love how people love to dis him because of how they think he really is, but honestly none of us know what goes on in his head. Nor do we know everything that has happened to him with fans. There are a lot of creepy people out there who call themselves fans (I've seen some of them on Facebook) who follow him around like stalkers. If I were him I'd be creeped out by people who claim to be fans but just want something from him. I'm sure not everyone is as nice as we would be if we met him. Well...most of us. :LOL:

:goodone:

This is the ugly side of rock fans, especially Rush fans. Obsessive behavior and a self-righteous, delusional belief that they actually KNOW the guys personally, that they know all about who they are, what they're like at home or out in public, and that they are part of the guys' lives.

UGLY.

I see this myself with some people. I don't think they ever stop for a moment and consider how their actions could paint them in a negative light. I could say more but I already know it will rub some people the wrong way, so I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1

I guess to him the world is sharply divided into long awaited friends to be embraced warmly and strangers to be ignored (his appreciative fans would fall into the latter category).

Sure, there are no doubt lots of loony fans out there that they've been bothered by over the years, but the typical fan - especially in the very controlled and safe environment of a meet and greet or autograph signing - isn't expecting to be seen as a "long awaited friend"; they just want to show their appreciation, maybe get a handshake, photo or autograph. Alex and Geddy seem to have managed to survive the ordeal for 40 some years.

Love his drumming and writing and he's probably a great guy to those who know him but his attitude towards the fans leaves much to be desired.

I love how people love to dis him because of how they think he really is, but honestly none of us know what goes on in his head. Nor do we know everything that has happened to him with fans. There are a lot of creepy people out there who call themselves fans (I've seen some of them on Facebook) who follow him around like stalkers. If I were him I'd be creeped out by people who claim to be fans but just want something from him. I'm sure not everyone is as nice as we would be if we met him. Well...most of us. :LOL:

I never said I think I know how he really is, and I don't regard expressing disappointment at his aloofness as "dissing" him. My remarks are based on what I do know, which is how he acts in public and in particular, his reluctance to interact with his fans, even in safe and controlled environments like meet and greets.

We all know there are nutty, annoying, and even creepy fans. I specifically said "there are no doubt lots of loony fans out there that they've been bothered by over the years". However, there is no evidence that Neil has had to put up with anymore from the fans than any other person "living in the limelight", including his two bandmates who have no problem signing autographs or posing for pics (at least in a controlled environment). It makes him seem like a surly sourpuss (the operative word being "seem" as I obviously don't know him personally).

I never said I think I know how he really is, and I don't regard expressing disappointment at his aloofness as "dissing" him. My remarks are based on what I do know, which is how he acts in public and in particular, his reluctance to interact with his fans, even in safe and controlled environments like meet and greets.

We all know there are nutty, annoying, and even creepy fans. I specifically said "there are no doubt lots of loony fans out there that they've been bothered by over the years". However, there is no evidence that Neil has had to put up with anymore from the fans than any other person "living in the limelight", including his two bandmates who have no problem signing autographs or posing for pics (at least in a controlled environment). It makes him seem like a surly sourpuss (the operative word being "seem" as I obviously don't know him personally).

I was making a general statement based on what you said but I wasn't talking directly about you.

• Like 1

I was making a general statement based on what you said but I wasn't talking directly about you.

No offense taken; I appreciate your response ;)

I actually have a somewhat interesting personal anecdote (which involves a seriously geeky admission) but also provides some minimal (and I stress MINIMAL) insight into how some fans might appear to those who have them.

In 1998 I attended a scifi convention in Brooklyn, NY (that's the geeky admission). I had never attended one before, but was persuaded to attend by others.

In any event, as I was strolling around this one conference room an elderly gentleman with a big straw hat and long white beard seated behind a table said "have a seat young man". I had no idea who he was or even that he was in fact a "celebrity invitee". Turns out he was George Clayton Johnson, best known for having written the screenplay for the original "Ocean's Eleven". He was invited there because he'd penned several original "Twilight Zone" scripts.

In any event, he started up a conversation which got very philosophical and quite interesting. At some point he got to the real reason he had called me over; he wanted to go to the bar next door and have a drink, and would I be so kind as to sit in his seat in the interim, since it could not be left unattended, and if anyone came up tell them he'd be right back.

I said "sure, no problem".

Every now and then while seated there convention attendees would approach me nervously, assuming I was a convention invitee. They had no idea who I was but assumed I was "somebody" because I was seated behind the "celeb autograph" table (most of the "celebs" claim to fame here mind you was paper thin, such as having played a Borg in a Star Trek episode or some such). I remember the way some of the autograph seekers were staring at me was unnerving. One of them was convinced I'd been in a Star Trek episode he'd seen.

When I explained I was only holding the fort down for Mr. Johnson, some were still strangely mesmerized, nervously asking "how long have you been working for Mr. Johnson?" I can scarcely imagine they even knew who "Mr. Johnson" was, but the fact that he was worthy of a seat behind the autograph table was enough to make some of them stare like they were seeing a supernova.

Needless to say I was quite relieved when Johnson finally arrived back, glass of red wine in hand.

Now that experience isn't even remotely close to what Ged and the boys must encounter on a fairly regular basis, but it was still kind of creepy, the way people were staring at me, just because they thought I might've been an extra in a Star Trek episode or something.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 3

1) As a musician, Geddy.

Neil is a fantastic drummer, no doubt. Alex a great guitarist. But to me, the musical center of Rush is Geddy. My Favorite Headache was a strong record in my opinion. It was obvious to hear where Geddy is an influence in Rush. And when it wasn't outright Rush-y, it was a melancholy style that I found enjoyable.

2) As a personality, Neil.

I connect with Neil's lyrics, and his general view of the world. And even is shyness. I was in a band for a number of years, and I sort of had the same approach as Neil about it. Show up, play, leave. It was awkward as hell (and a challenge to my slight social phobia!) when fans would interact with me. It's not that I don't like them, it's that I don't know them. I can't get chummy with some guy I don't know. I just don't know him. Ask for my autograph or compliment me and I'm awkward stammers and a quick "thank you" before signing the thing or whatever and leaving.

Try to buy me a drink and I wonder if you've poisoned it.

I think this has to do more with me having grown up being closted gay in the mid west. Had to watch what you said, had to treat everyone wondering if they'd be a friend or foe. Very big feeder into the paranoia complex.

And to that end, I understand Neil completely. I don't know that guy, so why would I talk with him?

3) No real opinion.

If I had to choose, probably Neil, even though I said I like his personality best. But he also can be as warm as sand paper, and I get that.

1.Geddy

2.Alex

3.Neil (he is not bad, but I always felt that Geddy and Alex are better persons than him, and it is not because of a fact that he is an introvert who refuses communication with Rush fans)

Edited by Texas King

Alex is the best musician because it was his guitar tone that truly defined the Rush "sound" in their golden years, in particular his use of droning and passing notes to create a "big" sound from one guitar.

Personality wise, hard to judge when you don't know someone personally, but I feel that Alex comes across as if he would be a lot of fun if you were a friend of his.

Neil comes across as a bit of a dick, but again hard to know having never met him.

• Like 2

It would be great if Neil was my next door neighbor. We’d turn wrenches on cars together...of course he could never know I’m a Rush fan.

It would be great if Neil was my next door neighbor. We’d turn wrenches on cars together...of course he could never know I’m a Rush fan.

It’d just be his hologram next to you as you worked on your car.

In other words, your dream come true!

• Like 2

So...Neil w/out actually being Neil? Brilliant!!

• Like 2

So...Neil w/out actually being Neil? Brilliant!!

Exactly right :blaze:

1) Geddy then Neil then Alex, it wasn't easy to choose, they're all very good

2) Geddy with Alex close behind

3) Easily Neil

Geddy has the voice that i love so much,

Alex has the heart, I met Alex and i can tell you that he is the Friendly one, Geddy and Neil Forget about it !!!!

Neil is the Brains But super scary to look him in the eyes or have a conversion with,

All together they are Equal to me, I will love Rush until the day i die

• Like 2

As great of a percussionist/lyricist as Neal is, as awesome a guitarist/songwriter as Alex is, IMHO, Geddy is a phenomenon. His versatility may be unmatched in the genre of rock. At the top of the class on the bass, an underrated vocalist, pioneering in synths, and a master arranger.

That said, the sum of their three parts = rock's greatest!!!

• Like 2

Sure, Alex is funny, Geddy is thoughtful and considerate, and Neil is well-organized - but I gotta go with Hologram Rutsey.

Although who knows? Tomorrow I could change my mind and go with Laser Rutsey...but today it's gotta be HoloRut. :NP: :haz:

John%2BRutsey.jpg

"Damn right."

• Like 2

Geddy

Alex

Anyone who's ever had even the slightest connection to the band, whether it was Rutsey, Mitch Bossi, the string ensemble, the guy in the chicken suit who would come out on the SnA tour, the dude from the Blackhawks that walked around with the Cup, the members of Mr. Big who'd get up during the encore, the dancing bunnies...

Neil

1) Alex

As great as Geddy and Neil are, it’s really Alex that has driven most of their music, especially in their golden era. As much as I love listening to a good bass sound, I would never have given Rush the time of day if they had an average guitar player. He’s so underrated .

2) Geddy

I love baseball and am a fantasy geek. I’m introverted and kind of quiet. I usually don’t like big talkers. Geddy s my kind of guy

3)Neil (most obvious answer ever)

The results are hardly surprising. The more I hear from Neil and about him, the more he strikes me as being a bit self-righteous, intolerant, and judgmental. I always go back to the story the Rage Against the Machine drummer told in BTLS about being kicked out by Neil’s “security team” because he was too big a fanboi (I guess). There are a lot of those types of experiences with Neil. I don’t care how shy, introverted, or socially awkward he is, there are so many better ways he could handle that kind of stuff without humiliating the guy and pissing on him. I think when I hear the other 2 guys describe him as being shy, it’s a bit of a cop out.

1) Alex

As great as Geddy and Neil are, it’s really Alex that has driven most of their music, especially in their golden era. As much as I love listening to a good bass sound, I would never have given Rush the time of day if they had an average guitar player. He’s so underrated .

2) Geddy

I love baseball and am a fantasy geek. I’m introverted and kind of quiet. I usually don’t like big talkers. Geddy s my kind of guy

3)Neil (most obvious answer ever)

The results are hardly surprising. The more I hear from Neil and about him, the more he strikes me as being a bit self-righteous, intolerant, and judgmental. I always go back to the story the Rage Against the Machine drummer told in BTLS about being kicked out by Neil’s “security team” because he was too big a fanboi (I guess). There are a lot of those types of experiences with Neil. I don’t care how shy, introverted, or socially awkward he is, there are so many better ways he could handle that kind of stuff without humiliating the guy and pissing on him. I think when I hear the other 2 guys describe him as being shy, it’s a bit of a cop out.