A certain surprise song is on YouTube already!

Snaked

I'm not hearing what I want to hear because I wasn't expecting to hear it.

I'll defer to your expert opinion just to stop this.

Sorry! I wasn't directing that directly at you, or accusing you of anything. I apologize if I came off that way. I just meant that sometimes one can be persuaded into thinking they heard something differently because someone else mentioned it first. If you say you heard it without any prompting, then I absolutely believe you. I am in no way, shape or form an expert. I have been a musician for over 35 years, so I think I have a good ear, but I'm not an expert, at anything! :)

I didn't mean to frustrate you. We're all huge Rush fans here. I'm not here to make anyone upset!

When I am able to listen to some more bootlegs of the concert, I am sure I will hear it differently.

And if you have been a musician 35 years, that's all the more reason for me to take your word for it! :) :hug2:

• Like 1

I just listened to it from the show last night. What can I say that hasn't already been said? They did a magnificent job on a song they haven't played in over thirty years and never played live before.

Yeah! Lee said, "we'll probably mess it up but we're going to try it anyway" - they did a great job on it!

• Like 3

And, sadly, a bit apropos.

Man, these guys aren't even close to losing it. Yeah they are showing their age now but who cares. The spirit and the feel is there, who cares if everything isn't perfect.

He did say "a bit".. And even the band is admitting it.. They are in their 60's.. It's fair to say they must have lost something by now, they are human..

Do you all hear what Geddy is singing at the end? i just heard it.

Instead of the bell tolls for thee he's singing the bell tolls for you. He sings that twice, then I think he sings the bell tolls for me the last one.

I got this from the video, not the audio. someone else go listen and see if you hear it, or if I am mistaken.

I think you are right. That is what I hear as well.

I'm surprised more here didn't pick it up. I didn't the first time I watched it only the second time.

He's singing THEE. Combined with him singing very low and his enunciation, it sounds kind of off, and easily mistakable. .

No, he's not singing "thee."

It's absolutely "thee" every time. I've listened to it at least a dozen times. I can hear how you could think it's "you", as was mentioned above, the combination of how low his lower register is in the mix and a bit of enunciation doesn't make it "ring out". But, it's 100% "thee".

Some who were actually there will disagree with you, and I can only tell you what I heard when I listened to it.

Well, as someone who was there, I didn't notice him saying anything different than "thee". Of course hearing it live in person isn't always the best way to tell if someone sings a different word. Because of how loud the music is and depending on how good the sound is in the venue, changing one word like that could easily go unnoticed. Also, when you're caught up in the moment and singing along, a subtle change like that can slip right by without you ever knowing.

Edited by J2112YYZ

And, sadly, a bit apropos.

Man, these guys aren't even close to losing it. Yeah they are showing their age now but who cares. The spirit and the feel is there, who cares if everything isn't perfect.

He did say "a bit".. And even the band is admitting it.. They are in their 60's.. It's fair to say they must have lost something by now, they are human..

I suppose that all has to be true on some level. But it sure isn't evident when you see the show. To my ears and eyes, these guys are still playing as well as ever. I enjoyed these last performances as much as any I've ever seen. Rush still puts on the best live show, and gives you by far the best value for your money, of any band out there.

(not that I'm a bit biased or anything ... LOL!)

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 3

Can the next deep cuts PLEASE be Fountain of Lamneth and Necromancer so we can now have partial Caress of Steel live?

;)

Oh, please, no…just NO.

Can the next deep cuts PLEASE be Fountain of Lamneth and Necromancer so we can now have partial Caress of Steel live?

;)

Oh, please, no…just NO.

Keep it up and I'll write a macro sending them 700,000 votes for them to play "you bet your life" every show ;)

• Like 1

;)

Oh, please, no…just NO.

Keep it up and I'll write a macro sending them 700,000 votes for them to play "you bet your life" every show ;)

Am I the only one who seriously wants them to play this one?

Edited by Super25Smasher

;)

Oh, please, no…just NO.

Yes :)

;)

Oh, please, no…just NO.

Yes :)

Hey. I'd sing along also!

• Like 1

I just discovered this since although not trying to be spoiler free, have been refraining from knowing everything until I see Rush in San Jose. This is my number one wish so I nearly crapped myself when I saw this.

That's really cool. Makes me want them to tour Europe even more :)

So far they have played some of my favorites this tour; Losing It, How It Is, Hemispheres (prelude) and Cygnus X-1 and probably a dozen more. Good thing I don't live in North America or I would be bankrupt and missing one kidney ;)

Edit: Oh yeah and Xanadu!

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1