A certain surprise song is on YouTube already!

Snaked

I was at both Toronto shows, and seeing that was a high water mark in 35+ years of Rush concerts. Always loved the song, so seeing it performed with Ben Mink was a genuine treat.

And yes, at the end Geddy sang "the bell tolls for you, the bell tolls for me." The significance of that song wasn't lost on one person in the audience, probably a third of whom wiped a tear at the end of it. Truly, one of the most poignant moments in 40+ years of Rush live performances. I feel truly priviledged to have witnessed it.

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 3

For all you that don't believe it, The Necromancer was played on the CoS tour.

Practically everyone knows that. There is a CoS boot with it. Also, they played much of it tacked on to the end of By-Tor in 1977.

The real question is if any of Lamneth ever hit the stage on one of their headlining shows?

Do you all hear what Geddy is singing at the end? i just heard it.

Instead of the bell tolls for thee he's singing the bell tolls for you. He sings that twice, then I think he sings the bell tolls for me the last one.

I got this from the video, not the audio. someone else go listen and see if you hear it, or if I am mistaken.

I think you are right. That is what I hear as well.

I'm surprised more here didn't pick it up. I didn't the first time I watched it only the second time.

He's singing THEE. Combined with him singing very low and his enunciation, it sounds kind of off, and easily mistakable. .

I was at both Toronto shows, and seeing that was a high water mark in 35+ years of Rush concerts. Always loved the song, so seeing it performed with Ben Mink was a genuine treat.

And yes, at the end Geddy sang "the bell tolls for you, the bell tolls for me." The significance of that song wasn't lost on one person in the audience, probably a third of whom wiped a tear at the end of it. Truly, one of the most poignant moments in 40+ years of Rush live performances. I feel truly priviledged to have witnessed it.

Being there must have been amazing. Hundreds of us were watching along live on the scope. When they skipped wreckers, most of us knew it was coming, and someone with ties to the Rush camp, it seemed, pretty much guaranteed it. Once I knew it was coming, had to wrestle with my daughter to keep "the good ipad" as thats the only one that gets the scope!

I hope the original rumor (TO NY LA) is wrong. But RIAB has been spot on about this song this tour. It was great seeing it live, but knowing in EIGHT days they will be leaving the eastern half of the continent as a full magnitude touring band is enough for one man to endure.

Wish it was in Columbus when I was there but oh well better than nothing. Still brings a tear to my eye.

Love it

Here is my 20-Camera edit of fan videos for Losing It from Toronto. Labor of love is an understatement:

Enjoy!

Great work, thank you!!

Nice touch including someone holding the phone with the periscope feed, I forgot we had 4th row center!

I have no problem to admit that I balled throughout this entire track. My first new album in which I anticipated coming out was Signals, which also was the first of 30+ times I have seen this band. I was unaware they were rehearsing this and thus was shocked at the biggest surprise I have at a show (and I thought hearing the opening bars of Witch Hunt on the p/g tour was a surprise). And all the emotion for what it took for us to be all still hear in 2015 seeing them live and this sleeper track being played before my eyes by all 4 members who recorded it. And to think I would be watching the soundtrack of my life being played at the best show that I ever saw from these guys towards the end of their careers. The only one who truly Losing It was a few of us fans and for good reason.

• Like 4

So one, it's impossibly brave and yes poignant for Rush to do this. What other rock band would play a song as a special treat on a farewell about how age is beginning to win?

That said, the conspiracy guy in me thinks they're clever enough to each have a key error in there---Alex flubbing up his first chord, Neil avoiding the big crescendo fill at the end of the violin solo, Geddy kinda choking on the last note even though that was one of his better vocal nights. The realist in me understands those were just flaws/aversions, and it's weirdly perfect that they're there for that song.

For all you that don't believe it, The Necromancer was played on the CoS tour.

Practically everyone knows that. There is a CoS boot with it. Also, they played much of it tacked on to the end of By-Tor in 1977.

The real question is if any of Lamneth ever hit the stage on one of their headlining shows?

I said this because someone said "Can the next deep cuts PLEASE be Fountain of Lamneth and Necromancer so we can now have partial Caress of Steel live?".

• Like 1

Instead of the bell tolls for thee he's singing the bell tolls for you. He sings that twice, then I think he sings the bell tolls for me the last one.

I got this from the video, not the audio. someone else go listen and see if you hear it, or if I am mistaken.

I'm surprised more here didn't pick it up. I didn't the first time I watched it only the second time.

He's singing THEE. Combined with him singing very low and his enunciation, it sounds kind of off, and easily mistakable. .

No, he's not singing "thee."

SOUNDCHECKED IN MONTREAL!!

Now if that's for LA and not NY, why not wait until the western leg begins in July?

SOUNDCHECKED IN MONTREAL!!

The lyrics deal with artists (a dancer and a writer) in the twilight of their careers, facing age-related challenges that prevent them from performing at the level they once could.

"Some are born to rule the world, to live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be

Sadder still, to watch it die, than never to have known it

For you the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee"

I try to avoid reading into things too deeply. But given that it's public knowledge that Neil has been battling severe tendonitis in his elbows for some time now, and Alex has more recently spoken about suffering painful arthritis in his hands and feet, it seems rather ironic that after all these years, Rush should choose to perform the song now.

Beyond that, Losing It also features Ben Mink's remarkable, haunting, and utterly breathtaking electric violin solo. While the song is a dynamic and moving piece of music to begin with, Ben Mink's incredible violin work just catapults it to another level altogether.

I don't know, it's just one of those songs that seems to touch a lot of people. Myself included, evidently.

Edited by Symmetre
  • Like 2

The lyrics deal with artists (a dancer and a writer) in the twilight of their careers, facing age-related challenges that prevent them from performing at the level they once could.

"Some are born to rule the world, to live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be

Sadder still, to watch it die, than never to have known it

For you the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee"

I try to avoid reading into things too deeply. But given that it's public knowledge that Neil has been battling severe tendonitis in his elbows for some time now, and Alex has more recently spoken about suffering painful arthritis in his hands and feet, it seems rather ironic that after all these years, Rush should choose to perform the song now.

Beyond that, Losing It also features Ben Mink's remarkable, haunting, and utterly breathtaking electric violin solo. While the song is a dynamic and moving piece of music to begin with, Ben Mink's incredible violin work just catapults it to another level altogether.

I don't know, it's just one of those songs that seems to touch a lot of people. Myself included, evidently.

And I think that is why Geddy sang "you" and then "me" at the end.

They really are trying to tell some of their more stubborn fans that the end is near.

Edited by Lorraine

Well all I can say is that I was glad that I picked the Friday show instead of the Wednesday show. That truly was a memorable moment and I'll admit that I teared up a little bit. Not so much from sadness, more from just being so damn proud of those guys. So talented and such a big part of so many peoples lives.
  • Like 2

It's absolutely "thee" every time. I've listened to it at least a dozen times. I can hear how you could think it's "you", as was mentioned above, the combination of how low his lower register is in the mix and a bit of enunciation doesn't make it "ring out". But, it's 100% "thee".

• Like 1

It's absolutely "thee" every time. I've listened to it at least a dozen times. I can hear how you could think it's "you", as was mentioned above, the combination of how low his lower register is in the mix and a bit of enunciation doesn't make it "ring out". But, it's 100% "thee".

Some who were actually there will disagree with you, and I can only tell you what I heard when I listened to it.

Some who were actually there will disagree with you, and I can only tell you what I heard when I listened to it.

When you're actually at a live event things go by fast. The fact that I wasn't there doesn't disqualify me from knowing what he actually sang, seeing as we have multiple versions of the song on YouTube to analyze. I think this is more case of people hearing what they want to hear, or wished they heard. Changing the lyrics to "you" makes no sense, and I can't imagine Geddy doing that.

I could clean up a chunk of the audio and post it, but it's kind of silly at this point. The fact is, they played this amazing song, and I still get chills every time I watch it.

I'm not hearing what I want to hear because I wasn't expecting to hear it.

I'll defer to your expert opinion just to stop this.

Sorry! I wasn't directing that directly at you, or accusing you of anything. I apologize if I came off that way. I just meant that sometimes one can be persuaded into thinking they heard something differently because someone else mentioned it first. If you say you heard it without any prompting, then I absolutely believe you. I am in no way, shape or form an expert. I have been a musician for over 35 years, so I think I have a good ear, but I'm not an expert, at anything! :)

I didn't mean to frustrate you. We're all huge Rush fans here. I'm not here to make anyone upset!

• Like 2