Have you ever gone back to a restaurant you loved & left like WTF?

So it's the week of my lovely's birthday and one of the places she mentions she would like to go have dinner is a favorite of ours Mitchells Fish Market. It has been some time since we graced them with our presence & it is a great place that has delicious food, huge portions everything fresh very nice. They also had a seafood shop where one could by fresh caught uncooked seafood to bring home and prepare it how you like. Well it was kind of a spontanious decision considering we happen to be hungry and close by. I mention it may be a bad idea to not have made a reservation considering te place is very popular and usually very busy. We decided to throw caution to the wind and do a walk up. 1st thing that strikes me is the place is realitivly dead and we are seated immediatly I ask for Ben who was a manager who seemed lived at the place (because he was always there). I am told Ben is no longer at the restaurant hmmm We order some cocktails as we basically make our selections from memory. So my sweeties drink order is screwed up and is brought back worse than the 1st time and mine was weak as well. We ask what the specials are (Mitchells always had specials) we are told they have been discontinued? Really? One of our favorite dishes is Mitchells Muscles it technically is an appetizer but is a Huge serving I mean almost a meal on it's own with bread and a broth to die for. We also order a spinach salad which is also like another meal. I am still wondering if I have ever seen the place so slow and no Ben. Well the plate of muscles comes out and there is like 20 (tiny) muscles on the plate and I can see the whole plate when before it took some time eating and soaking up te broth with the bread. I make mention to the server that there must be something wrong because this dish in front of me is not Mitchells Muscles?? He just says enjoy and walks away. Now I am starting to get aggrivated. Then the salad comes out and it is litterally on a kids plate with just some baby leaf spinach a few crumbs of feta and a maybe teaspoon (& that is being generous) of bacon bits. Now I am in WTF? mode and I call for the manager. Well when he arrives 10-15 minutes later I ask if there has been a change in management recently he states more than that there has been an ownership change and the resteraunt is now owned by the same company that owns "Landry's". I tell him that I can certainly notice the difference and it is not a good thing. He basically acknowledges he has heard this complaint and that I should go complain on the website. I also tell him our displeasure with our drinks and that I was not paying $9.50 for the worst salad I have ever been served he apologizes and takes the salad away. When the bill comes the salad is still on it which I had to wait another 10 minutes for the guy to come back to us. I was soo disappointed as was my wife and we will not be back again! So sad that a wonderful restaurant was ruined by coorperate mentality and greed. So I guess the old Cliche "you can't go home again" holds true for restaurants too... Oh yeah the crappy drink prices went up to $11 fricken incredible... Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

ownership change sucks at a good restaurant. Especially when a corporation is involved. Where else do you like to eat in town? We tend to like the out of the way hole-in-the-wall type places. If you like smoked fish at all you might like one of our favorite places - Ted Peters over Pasadena not far from st pete beach. We've been hitting a sushi place in oldsmar a lot lately too - Hot Tuna.
  • Like 1

When I went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 94, I hit a Po' Boy shop around the corner from our hotel every night after I was done drinking. I got a stuffed crab Po' Boy and it was amazing.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I went down to New Orleans for a trade show, and I convince everyone to go to this Po'Boy shop for dinner one night...and it was horrible. To make matter worse, I had brought a bunch of co-workers with me, and I wasn't allowed to pick another restaurant for the rest of the trip. :(

I don't know if the place went to shit or if I was just too drunk to notice the food was crap when I was there the first time. :LOL:

• Like 3

Crimson, that is awful.

There's little that is worse than having to fork over hard earned money on something terrible like that. The manager should have at least given you a break, or brought over some freebies for you and your wife to enjoy to at least try to compensate in some way for your evident dissatisfaction.

By the way, you have my admiration for remembering your wife's birthday.

• Like 1

That's a drag of a story. Simolar things have happened to me over the years. I am surprised to hear that a Landry's property is being run so poorly. Out west we have the Chart House franchise and they are usually excellent. They own Bubba Gump which is usually good, too, although a bit kitschy for my taste.

Not restaurants, I keep going back to the same department stores in the hope to find that styles have changed and clothes are better made - who am I kidding?
  • Like 1

ownership change sucks at a good restaurant. Especially when a corporation is involved. Where else do you like to eat in town? We tend to like the out of the way hole-in-the-wall type places. If you like smoked fish at all you might like one of our favorite places - Ted Peters over Pasadena not far from st pete beach. We've been hitting a sushi place in oldsmar a lot lately too - Hot Tuna.

Yeah we're the same type much prefer a good Mom & Pop place than franchise food fair. We are lovers of off the the beaten path as well. We do not go out to often due to the fact me and my lovely both can cook and usually end up with less disappointment, better food and more change in our pocket afterwards. Thanks for the recommendations we will try to check them out. Have you ever tried Soho Sushi on Kennedy? (right across the street from FOX 13) real good sushi @ reasonable $$$

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Yeah we're the same type much prefer a good Mom & Pop place than franchise food fair. We are lovers of off the the beaten path as well. We do not go out to often due to the fact me and my lovely both can cook and usually end up with less disappointment, better food and more change in our pocket afterwards. Thanks for the recommendations we will try to check them out. Have you ever tried Soho Sushi on Kennedy? (right across the street from FOX 13) real good sushi @ reasonable $$$

Haven't been there yet. I'm guessing you live in south Tampa based on where you like to eat? We are out in citrus pRk not too far from the mall. I'm guessing you're a big Datz fan then.

• Like 1

Haven't been there yet. I'm guessing you live in south Tampa based on where you like to eat? We are out in citrus pRk not too far from the mall. I'm guessing you're a big Datz fan then.

Closer to Central Tampa River Bend (North of Wellswood) Funny I have not done Datz yet eventhough my oldest daughter used to work there and said the food is good. We have been diong Roy's at aloha hour which I know is a bit contradictory to my disdain of franchise places but the keep sending us $25 gift cards and the wagyu burger and the tempura crusted ahi roll are pretty fricken awsome so lovely and I can have a nice light dinner and a couple of craft brews for between $10-20 out of pocket which ain't too bad for an evening away from home. Also will do the lime down in Soho on Tuesdays $2 taco night the tuna taco is YUMMM :drool:

• Like 1

Closer to Central Tampa River Bend (North of Wellswood) Funny I have not done Datz yet eventhough my oldest daughter used to work there and said the food is good. We have been diong Roy's at aloha hour which I know is a bit contradictory to my disdain of franchise places but the keep sending us $25 gift cards and the wagyu burger and the tempura crusted ahi roll are pretty fricken awsome so lovely and I can have a nice light dinner and a couple of craft brews for between $10-20 out of pocket which ain't too bad for an evening away from home. Also will do the lime down in Soho on Tuesdays $2 taco night the tuna taco is YUMMM :drool:

I know wells wood well. Went to hillsborough high. If you like Spanish food there is a little gem near the Burger King on hillsborough just west of dale Mabry called Las Margaritas. The place itself is a bit of a dump but the food and prices are great. Some chain places are pretty decent, especially Tijuana Flats.

• Like 1

I know wells wood well. Went to hillsborough high. If you like Spanish food there is a little gem near the Burger King on hillsborough just west of dale Mabry called Las Margaritas. The place itself is a bit of a dump but the food and prices are great. Some chain places are pretty decent, especially Tijuana Flats.

LOL all my kids went to hillsborough and my youngest will be graduating next year. Yes I think I have been to that little place you mentioned as you well know the little spanish places are prolific round these parts ;-D Mambos which is just north of MLK on Armenia has an awesome roast pork sandwich. And if you get down by MacDill AFB the Interbay Meat market will give you a main and 2 sides for under $7 that will give you 2 filling meals and the Ropa Veja is to die for. Man am I getting hungry now lol :-)

LOL all my kids went to hillsborough and my youngest will be graduating next year. Yes I think I have been to that little place you mentioned as you well know the little spanish places are prolific round these parts ;-D Mambos which is just north of MLK on Armenia has an awesome roast pork sandwich. And if you get down by MacDill AFB the Interbay Meat market will give you a main and 2 sides for under $7 that will give you 2 filling meals and the Ropa Veja is to die for. Man am I getting hungry now lol :-)

I will have to bookmark all of this info since I'm on a diet right now and am avoiding most places. I did go to hooters tonight to watch World Cup final and only at blackened Mahi and salad but it's tough