Feedback (album) question

Lost In Xanadu

I know Feedback isn't very popular, but something happened to me this weekend... I heard the original Heart Full of Soul played on the radio. After it was over, I honestly thought, Rush's version is way better!

Now, I don't have that same opinion when it comes to other songs, especially Summertime Blues and For What It's Worth, but Rush really killed it on this one (and Shapes too :))

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. RUSH version is better. I love their version of Shapes of Things in particular.

Both HFoS and Shapes are Yardbird songs... maybe it's just them :)

After re reading my OP, I never really asked a question... did I? :LOL:

I was going to ask if anyone else had the same opinion about any songs on Feedback...

I know Feedback isn't very popular, but something happened to me this weekend... I heard the original Heart Full of Soul played on the radio. After it was over, I honestly thought, Rush's version is way better!

Now, I don't have that same opinion when it comes to other songs, especially Summertime Blues and For What It's Worth, but Rush really killed it on this one (and Shapes too :))

Apart from "Old Glory" (Cream's version of Crossroads) Rush's version of Crossroads is the best. But then again it's almost identical to Cream's version, only with more drums and better bass.

• Like 1

Well, Rush's Crossroads is better than any other version I've heard. Other than that and The Seeker I'm not too familiar with Feedback or any of the songs on it. I'm a baby, remember, this stuff is before my time.

I have a soft spot for Feedback, it was the first Rush "album" I bought when I took my sister to R30 for her birthday. I didn't know their music very well when I went to the concert but I was enjoying it. When they started to play Heart Full of Soul, I perked up. I was very impressed with their rendition and I enjoyed the other songs they did. So I bought the Ep at intermission and went home and played the heck out of it. Wasn't hard to end up liking their music later on too. And I went out and bought a copy of Retrospective so I could listen to the originals too.

BUT...I have to agree with Digital Dad, their version isn't better than Buffalo Springfield's, not in my book. :finbar:

I have a soft spot for Feedback, it was the first Rush "album" I bought when I took my sister to R30 for her birthday. I didn't know their music very well when I went to the concert but I was enjoying it. When they started to play Heart Full of Soul, I perked up. I was very impressed with their rendition and I enjoyed the other songs they did. So I bought the Ep at intermission and went home and played the heck out of it. Wasn't hard to end up liking their music later on too. And I went out and bought a copy of Retrospective so I could listen to the originals too.

BUT...I have to agree with Digital Dad, their version isn't better than Buffalo Springfield's, not in my book. :finbar:

Haert Full of Soul is a Graham Gouldman song performed by the Yardbirds. For What It's worth is the Steven Still song by Buffalo springfield. I've never liked that song in the first place.

Nothing on Feedback beats the originals. The seeker is pretty good but its still not better than the original.

*slams gavel*

Summertime Blues is the best version out there IMO, although classic Who version is epic. I love, love, love both versions.

Heart Full of Soul is better, by quite a bit.

For What It's Worth - Like Digital Dad's post, I never liked the original either

The Seeker - The Who's version is better overall, but the solo on the RUSH version is better. I'd happily listen to either any day.

Mr. Soul - Not a huge fan of the song anyways, so I don't know.

Seven and Seven Is - Don't know the song very well, but I kinda like it.

Shapes of Things - I prefer the RUSH version. Easily the strongest track on the album.

Crossroads - I love both versions. However, as good as the RUSH version is, the Cream version is better.