Virus help

jamie

Ok my computer has a virus but it doesn't seem to be very malicious. It keeps opening Internet Explorer on it's own and going to scam websites that offer help for my PC and occasionally installs random programs. Sometimes these websites have a message screen that pops up repeatedly and I can't get out of it without logging out of my computer account. I have McAfee but it needs to be renewed. When I go to control panel I can't turn on my firewall. Does anyone know how to get this off of my computer?

Is IE your only browser? I know there's a way to turn off IE but you can't uninstall it. Also you could download a free virus scanner like Avast.

Is IE your only browser? I know there's a way to turn off IE but you can't uninstall it. Also you could download a free virus scanner like Avast.

I use google chrome and pretty much nothing else, but I have Firefox too.

I use google chrome and pretty much nothing else, but I have Firefox too.

I think the first thing I would do would be download the free virus scanner and run it. Try running a boot scan because that's the best way to get things off of the computer.

Go to control panel and go to uninstall programs. You'll find a list there and the virus could be there, just be sure to not delete anything important and Google it if you're not sure. Or I'd do what Eaglemoon said but use 360 Total Security which is better :) Edited by LittleRushmonkey

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, do a full system scan, then reboot your system. Works like a charm for me most of the time.

Malwarebytes has worked for me, too.

The adware is irritating.