New Iron Maiden album - Book of Souls

I am on my 3rd full listen today of The Book of Souls (I know I know I am late but I have been in a Rival Sons trance beyond belief LOL and also picked up the new Winery Dogs whom I caught at a local rock club last week).

The album is superb. I am a huge fan of the newer Maiden since Bruce and ADrian rejoined. So this album rings really strong with me. I am very much looking forward to most of the material live and also hope to see some BNW and AMOLAD stuff rolling out as well.

Here are my rankings of the Bruce stuff since I saw that back a few pages. I like to play as well lol.

1. Piece Of Mind

2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

3. Powerslave

4. Somewhere In Time

5. The Number of the Beast

6. Brave New World

7. A Matter of Life and Death/Book of Souls (rising with a bullet)

8. Final Frontier

9. Dance of Death

10. Fear of the Dark

11. No Prayer for the Dying

Excellent!! (Sent you a Rival Sons PM a while back, FYI. Hopefully helpful.)

• Like 1

Usually I only have to listen to an album 4-5 times before, when perusing the track list, I can recall at least one part from just about every song that stands out.

Not so much for this one, and I've listened to it probably 10 times.

From memory:

If Eternity Should Fail - pretty decent. The chorus is a bit repetitive, but that's not atypical with Maiden. I really like how it starts and ends.

Speed of Light - fun & cool, typical lead single from 21st century Maiden. I think this one should have switched places with Eldorado from the previous album; both fit better with the themes of the other album.

The Great Unknown - I can't tell you anything about this song. I don't remember any of it.

The Red and the Black - sticks out as a cool epic, with a great chorus.

When the River Runs Deep - good enough; I remember it, at least.

The Book of Souls - I can't tell you anything about this song. I don't remember any of it.

Death or Glory - not a great song, but at least I remember it.

Shadows of the Valley - I can't tell you anything about this song. I don't remember any of it.

Tears of a Clown - probably my favorite on the album. Slight prog feel, and deep subject matter.

Empire of the Clouds - even though it's their longest song, it doesn't feel like it. Very well written. Instant classic.

None of it is terrible, although Death or Glory comes close at times. So much of it is just kind of "there".

HOWEVER - I had a similar reaction to Dance of Death, but over time, it grew on me quite a bit.

So, we shall see.

I like that not only do you not remember what some of the songs sound like, you also didn't remember there's a song called "The Man of Sorrows" right before Empire.

(I'm not joking either, I love this album, and Man of Sorrows is the only weak point for me. I honestly do not remember anything about it.)

still haven't heard it

Well, you need clear your schedule for about a week in order to hear it. So, I can see why you haven't yet :LOL:

yeah, between college and trolling this place, there's only time to listen to piece of mind over and over

• Like 1

Clearly my favorite tunes so far are all on disc 1 after 3 full listens.

If Eternity Should Fail

The Red And The Black

The Great Unknown

Book Of Souls

Those 4 songs really are strong for me personally.

I am still digesting Empire Of The Clouds which is a really expansive piece of music. It's cool but has many layers and phrases etc. need more time to fully embrace such an epic piece. Also I am really listening to disc one going forward for a little while to really get all the twists and turns and music ingrained into my head.

Then I will deep dive disc 2 the same way. It's a lot of music to try to digest as a complete album.

I will be ready for the tour though. I am sure they play at least 6-7 tunes from the entire album.

• Like 1

I'll say a mass for you and wave, shooting plasma from my grave...That has to be some of the most fun glam metal lyrics they've ever written: nonsensical and rawking. That'll make a killer opening song.

The red and the black: that bass solo opening/closing is a flat out copy of the "elves" theme from LOTR soundtrack. Still a total kickass song. One of my favorites.

I really dig this album. Empire of the Clouds is too long and a bit of a dirge for me to sit through but overall I think this is a vibrant, energetic and metal offering from Maiden.

I'll say a mass for you and wave, shooting plasma from my grave...That has to be some of the most fun glam metal lyrics they've ever written: nonsensical and rawking. That'll make a killer opening song.

The red and the black: that bass solo opening/closing is a flat out copy of the "elves" theme from LOTR soundtrack. Still a total kickass song. One of my favorites.

I really dig this album. Empire of the Clouds is too long and a bit of a dirge for me to sit through but overall I think this is a vibrant, energetic and metal offering from Maiden.

A glam metal mention when talking about Maiden? Don't you ever insult them like that again :tsk:

Other than that, I agree that it's an excellent release.

It's a borefest.

Nothing to truly go "boo hiss this sucks", but at the same time I find myself thinking " boo his this sucks", for the simple fact it is Iron Maiden, firing the same cylinders as before.

But missing the target.

Zzzzz

It's a borefest.

Nothing to truly go "boo hiss this sucks", but at the same time I find myself thinking " boo his this sucks", for the simple fact it is Iron Maiden, firing the same cylinders as before.

But missing the target.

Zzzzz

Yeah, well, at least it's better than Karmacode.

And synthpop era Paradise Lost sucks, so there :P

It's a borefest.

But missing the target.

Zzzzz

I love you!

It's a borefest.

But missing the target.

Zzzzz

And if you think Book Of Souls is better than Karmacode, lemme tell ya:

YOUR OPINION SUCKS TO ME DUDE!

Totally eats my poo that opinion.

I don't care what anyone thinks of Paradise Lost. So :moon:

And I love ya!

I'll put it on today. I confess, I've only listened to it maybe three or four times since it was released. I liked it...but haven't gone back to it much.

What do people expect from Iron Maiden? For them to try a new genre? To experiment with new keys or odd tunings (although they'd did use drop d for the first time)?

It's all variations on their theme at this point: long songs, slow intros, wailing guitar solos, some up-tempo rockers. They are what we thought they were.

• Like 2

What do people expect from Iron Maiden? For them to try a new genre? To experiment with new keys or odd tunings (although they'd did use drop d for the first time)?

It's all variations on their theme at this point: long songs, slow intros, wailing guitar solos, some up-tempo rockers. They are what we thought they were.

This is the first album of theirs in a lomg while where nothing sounded fresh to my ears.

• Like 1

I will accept that the album is "Maiden By Numbers" all except for Empire of the Clouds. That truly sounds unlike anything they've done before and has earned its place as their longest song

I shall revisit it alone sometime...

And we let em off the hook!!!

• Like 3