Toronto, ON Periscope Thread - June 17th

ytserush

Too bad that every show couldn't be filmed. It would ease up on the tension and stress for them, and there would be lots to choose from at the end.

The best of the best from The Best! :)

Yeah that seems to be the way they should go. It can't cost that much to have a show filmed.

Seriously ?

:facepalm:

You don't think Rush is The Best? How shocking.

P.S. I put back the emoticon that was originally in my post.

Did i say that? You really need to chill a little bit :kisshug:

Read the article in todays Toronto Sun( June 18) Entertainment section. A really good review of last nights show.

Nothing substantially critical at all in the review:

TORONTO - Hometown heroes coming to say goodbye is never easy.

But if this really is Rush’s farewell as a major touring band, then the veteran Toronto prog-rock trio is definitely keeping it classy judging from their career-spanning performance Wednesday night at the first show of a two-night stand at the Air Canada Centre.

Singer-bassist-synth player Geddy Lee, 61, guitarist Alex Lifeson, 60, and drummer-lyricist Neil Peart, 62, who return to the ACC on Friday night, have been saying their R40 Live: 40th anniversary tour could be the last of its kind.

Still, it doesn’t mean the trio - who finally made the cover of Rolling Stone for its early July issue after over four decades as a group - won’t do multiple-night residencies in cities in the future.

Incidentally, the Rolling Stone cover headline is “Twilight of the Geek Gods.”

How about revenge of the music nerds?

On Wednesday night they sounded great on a sleek looking, non fussy stage - with their trademark sense of humour firmly intact given the presence of three (or was it four?) dryers on stage (a holdover from a previous tour) - and are playing better than ever so really: “Rolling Stone - what took YOU so long?”

After an animated film introduction, Rush launched the evening with three songs from their 2013 album, Clockwork Angels - The Anarchist, the title track and Headlong Flight, the latter which included a mini Peart drum solo just 20 minutes in. (A much longer, more impressive one would come later in the second set with Peart’s kit getting a lift up via a riser.)

Toronto fans, meanwhile, were encouraged to wear Rush T-shirts, and bring their “outside voices” for a DVD of the tour being filmed at the ACC dates.

“Hey, Toronto, Canada, how are you doing tonight?” said Lee right before the Snakes & Arrows 2007 track Far Cry which included the first fireworks and fireburst display of the night.

“So great to be home. Thank you for coming out tonight and over the last 40-plus years. We’ve got a lot to celebrate. Smile and look pretty.”

From there, it was the Snakes & Arrows instrumental The Main Monkey Business followed by 2002’s Vapor Trails’ One Little Victory and it soon became clear they were performing their material in reverse chronological order starting with their most recent songs and ending with their oldest tunes.

“Continue in reverse,” said Lee after a filmed celeb-cameo packed version of Roll The Bones including Game of Thrones Peter Dinklage, I Love You Man’s “slappa da bass,” Rush fans duo Paul Rudd and Jason Segel and Canada’s own Trailer Park Boys.

The first set, before a 25-minute intermission, ended strongly with early ‘80s classics Distant Early Warning and the synth-led Subdivisions before Rush, after a funny film of outtakes, resumed the second set with their signature song, Tom Sawyer, producing the first real crowd singalong of the night, followed by The Spirit of Radio resulting in the first clapalong.

Then it was time for the hardcore fans as Rush went deep into Cygnus X-1 and 2112 territory sandwiched between songs like Jacob’s Ladder, complete with blue laser lights, Closer to the Heart and Xanadu, with both Lifeson and Lee playing double-neck instruments on the latter.

The show ended, appropriately enough, where Rush began with Working Man, their first 1974 single that pre-dated even Peart (when John Rutsey was still their drummer.)

One more cool thing, concertgoers at both Wednesday and Friday night’s ACC shows were/are given the chance to see what it feels like to be Peart with his Drum Workshop-created NHL hockey-themed drum kit on display at the ACC. (It’s on tour with the group at all the Canadian stops.)

Fans are able to take pictures behind it between 3:30-9:30 p.m. for a $10 donation that goes to the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation of Toronto.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

So according to Snaked who I believe is Rush_Roadtrips on twitter… he is saying Losing It will be played on Friday according to Geddys brother and more dates will be added? Is this a joke or is he serious?

He's serious.

I mean... I'm serious.

Allan Weinrib (Geddy's brother) was heard telling somebody that Losing It would be played on Friday (which people pretty much suspected anyway) and as for the dates.. read into my posts what you want.

• Like 1

You think losing it will also get played in Montreal or just the one show on Friday? Was Ben Mink the only reason they have been waiting so long to play it?

Edit: Another thought came to me… always love FOH's input on everything going in Rush land that he can say but I find it interesting since he was pretty adamant that L.A. would be it forever because of Neil. It seems like these new tour dates rumour has some steam and is probably true. Would love to see what he thinks of that.

Edited by mrfriendly

Too bad that every show couldn't be filmed. It would ease up on the tension and stress for them, and there would be lots to choose from at the end.

The best of the best from The Best! :)

Yeah that seems to be the way they should go. It can't cost that much to have a show filmed.

Seriously ?

:facepalm:

You don't think Rush is The Best? How shocking.

P.S. I put back the emoticon that was originally in my post.

Did i say that? You really need to chill a little bit :kisshug:

:smoke:

On a side note, I ran into production manager Zack Thomas on the break who told me they'll be heading to Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia for shows in the fall and before Christmas. Yep. Indonesia. In the new year they'll be back for another leg of North American shows. So, the DVD will most likely not be released until next year. That last sentence is my speculation based on Zack's info.

Zach Thomas? Who is that? He's not listed in my R40 tourbook as being on the tour crew, SRO staff, or even related to video productions.

Yeah, so the fact I met the guy, he had a laminate on stating who he was with a radio strapped to his belt means absolutely nothing because your tourbook bible tells you so.

On a side note, I ran into production manager Zack Thomas on the break who told me they'll be heading to Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia for shows in the fall and before Christmas. Yep. Indonesia. In the new year they'll be back for another leg of North American shows. So, the DVD will most likely not be released until next year. That last sentence is my speculation based on Zack's info.

Interesting. Recently Geddy had mentioned he and his wife had spent several weeks in New Zealand bird watching. OTOH, it's a little hard to believe. How much would it cost to send all that equipment overseas? And travelling between each of the countries would require more ocean shipping. I don't see the cost benefit, unless they pull off some sort of Iron Maiden Flight 666 deal.

So, North American bands never play in Australia or New Zealand because of this? lol

You think losing it will also get played in Montreal or just the one show on Friday? Was Ben Mink the only reason they have been waiting so long to play it?

Edit: Another thought came to me… always love FOH's input on everything going in Rush land that he can say but I find it interesting since he was pretty adamant that L.A. would be it forever because of Neil. It seems like these new tour dates rumour has some steam and is probably true. Would love to see what he thinks of that.

Any chance someone can start a 'Losing It' thread so those who couldn't give a flying f*** about this song don't have to read the same "Ya think they'll play Losing It' posts?

Edited by chrisw25

Interesting. Recently Geddy had mentioned he and his wife had spent several weeks in New Zealand bird watching. OTOH, it's a little hard to believe. How much would it cost to send all that equipment overseas? And travelling between each of the countries would require more ocean shipping. I don't see the cost benefit, unless they pull off some sort of Iron Maiden Flight 666 deal.

So, North American bands never play in Australia or New Zealand because of this? lol

Hey, I'm from Australia and I was recently wearing my Snakes and Arrows World Tour T Shirt. A lady asked me "Who's RUSH, and when did they play here last?" I replied by saying that they have never played here and that they usually only play North America and sometimes South America and Europe. Her response was "How can that be called a World Tour?

She's got a point - come to Australia - please!!!

Edited by yyz305

I didn't say that. It's just expensive, and I can't see doing it for just a few shows for it to be financially worthwhile. But what do I know...

I think we can put the rumor of Rush touring Australia to bed - ain't gonna happen, sorry. There were talks that did happen with an Australian promoter but the money being asked for by Rush meant a tour wasn't going to be economically feasible. Since those negotiations happened the Australian dollar has fallen against the greenback making it even LESS likely.

Frankly I'm surprised there were discussions at all.

But that's ok - I'm flying from Sydney to see the final show in LA, so after 30 years of being a fan from afar I'll finally get to see Rush play live. Can't wait!

• Like 2

I think we can put the rumor of Rush touring Australia to bed - ain't gonna happen, sorry. There were talks that did happen with an Australian promoter but the money being asked for by Rush meant a tour wasn't going to be economically feasible. Since those negotiations happened the Australian dollar has fallen against the greenback making it even LESS likely.

Frankly I'm surprised there were discussions at all.

But that's ok - I'm flying from Sydney to see the final show in LA, so after 30 years of being a fan from afar I'll finally get to see Rush play live. Can't wait!

You'll love it. I saw them at the Air Canada Centre in 2002. Worth every cent to get there and see them. Such a shame they never toured here - there are a lot of followers...

What a great show last night. They really rocked it and left nothing on the table. Much tighter and a lot more energy than on Wednesday. If this was the last opportunity for me to see they live, what a lasting memory if will leave. I can't see how they could top it. And Losing It... wow! Fantastic.
  • Like 1