Toronto, ON Periscope Thread - June 17th

ytserush

Neil probably is already 100 miles away before realizing that the next show is in the same location.

Maybe he'll stay at his parent's house. In his old room. Same bed. Who poster on the wall. Rogers drum set with Ajax cymbals... lol

I thought it was kinda funny Ged said his usual "hope we see you again some day". Uh yeah, like this Friday?

• Like 1

Neil probably is already 100 miles away before realizing that the next show is in the same location.

Maybe he'll stay at his parent's house. In his old room. Same bed. Who poster on the wall. Rogers drum set with Ajax cymbals... lol

I thought it was kinda funny Ged said his usual "hope we see you again some day". Uh yeah, like this Friday?

Probably won't be seeing the same people though.

Yeah, I know. I just expected him to say something like 'hope we see a lot of you again on Friday.' I'm sure there'll be a few who will be back.

Yeah, I know. I just expected him to say something like 'hope we see a lot of you again on Friday.' I'm sure there'll be a few who will be back.

Probably saying something generic that he says every night since it's being recorded.

We had the "A" set-list tonight aside from a few flubs, it was a great show and I enjoyed every minute of it. More tomorrow.

Was A the expected set or did they change up the A, B, C set order they've been doing?

We had the "A" set-list tonight aside from a few flubs, it was a great show and I enjoyed every minute of it. More tomorrow.

Was A the expected set or did they change up the A, B, C set order they've been doing?

It was suppose to be B

Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 1

Another Losing It question:

I find this funny because I do like the song a lot its not one I'm dying to hear live would be great. But its funny how the persistent sound checking and non playing live have increased the anticipation of us here to hear it.

Geddy did mention today about GUP being recorded in Quebec. Signals was also recorded there, you think they are maybe saving it for Montreal? It still doesnt make sense why they wouldn't at least do it in Toronto. But if it doesnt show up by Montreal then I think its safe to say it won't be played.

Another Losing It question:

I find this funny because I do like the song a lot its not one I'm dying to hear live would be great. But its funny how the persistent sound checking and non playing live have increased the anticipation of us here to hear it.

Geddy did mention today about GUP being recorded in Quebec. Signals was also recorded there, you think they are maybe saving it for Montreal? It still doesnt make sense why they wouldn't at least do it in Toronto. But if it doesnt show up by Montreal then I think its safe to say it won't be played.

There is some speculation that the song may be a DVD extra of them doing it at soundcheck.

I was a lot more kind on another site but, from my 5th row vantage point in front of Alex, I felt the first set was... in a word, strange. Seemed like every song was being played an octave lower and when Ged's vocals hit high parts, he'd bounce back up to the correct octave while the music didn't. His vocals, for the most part sounded great. I hear complaints coming from those watching through periscope feeds but, honestly, is that a great gauge of quality sound and mixing? I felt the second set was incredible. Yeah, a slight botch of a solo in Red Barchetta from Alex but not the train wreck everyone on here seems to think it was. In fact, most of what people are calling train wrecks are not at all that. I've seen shows from this close before and it seems like this is the most challenging show for all three members due to its difficulty and complexity. I was in awe that they were putting out as much as they were. All three were machines, especially Neil.

On a side note, I ran into production manager Zack Thomas on the break who told me they'll be heading to Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia for shows in the fall and before Christmas. Yep. Indonesia. In the new year they'll be back for another leg of North American shows. So, the DVD will most likely not be released until next year. That last sentence is my speculation based on Zack's info.

One last note: Can we put Losing It to bed? Based on the challenges of the current set lists night in and night out, I doubt they'll add to them by inserting a new song such as this. Look for it as a DVD extra at best.

• Like 2

I was a lot more kind on another site but, from my 5th row vantage point in front of Alex, I felt the first set was... in a word, strange. Seemed like every song was being played an octave lower and when Ged's vocals hit high parts, he'd bounce back up to the correct octave while the music didn't. His vocals, for the most part sounded great. I hear complaints coming from those watching through periscope feeds but, honestly, is that a great gauge of quality sound and mixing? I felt the second set was incredible. Yeah, a slight botch of a solo in Red Barchetta from Alex but not the train wreck everyone on here seems to think it was. In fact, most of what people are calling train wrecks are not at all that. I've seen shows from this close before and it seems like this is the most challenging show for all three members due to its difficulty and complexity. I was in awe that they were putting out as much as they were. All three were machines, especially Neil.

On a side note, I ran into production manager Zack Thomas on the break who told me they'll be heading to Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia for shows in the fall and before Christmas. Yep. Indonesia. In the new year they'll be back for another leg of North American shows. So, the DVD will most likely not be released until next year. That last sentence is my speculation based on Zack's info.

One last note: Can we put Losing It to bed? Based on the challenges of the current set lists night in and night out, I doubt they'll add to them by inserting a new song such as this. Look for it as a DVD extra at best.

I totally agree, these complainers are forming opinions from a shit ass perawhatever feed!!!! I was 8th row Alex side, and the show kicked ass!!! So keep up the good work ( dumbass perawhatever reviews). :rush:
  • Like 1

Yeah...I have a friend that was there last night, and wasn't able to get tickets (within a reasonable cost, according to him) for Friday.

I totally agree, these complainers are forming opinions from a shit ass perawhatever feed!!!! I was 8th row Alex side, and the show kicked ass!!! So keep up the good work ( dumbass perawhatever reviews). :rush:

You're so right. Funny thing is, it sounds a lot like the backhanded compliments RollingStone used to dish out.

And these nitpicky comments from "fans", who mostly hear the concert through a freaking cellphone.

Zach Thomas? Who is that? He's not listed in my R40 tourbook as being on the tour crew, SRO staff, or even related to video productions.

On a side note, I ran into production manager Zack Thomas on the break who told me they'll be heading to Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia for shows in the fall and before Christmas. Yep. Indonesia. In the new year they'll be back for another leg of North American shows.

Wait... what?

Edited by Jaminbenb

And these nitpicky comments from "fans", who mostly hear the concert through a freaking cellphone.

Yeah, let's blame Geddy's bass malfunction in Headlong, Alex's wrong opening chord in DEW, Dirk's keyboard flub to open Subdivisions, and the cringe inducing guitar solo on Barchetta on sound quality.

You can call me "nitpicky", but I prefer discriminating listener. Helps me avoid being labelled a total fanboi. ;)

• Like 4

Yeah, let's blame Geddy's bass malfunction in Headlong, Alex's wrong opening chord in DEW, Dirk's keyboard flub to open Subdivisions, and the cringe inducing guitar solo on Barchetta on sound quality.

You can call me "nitpicky", but I prefer discriminating listener. Helps me avoid being labelled a total fanboi. ;)

I'm cool with fanboi

The thing is we are used to their perfection. We are not accustomed to Rush making mistakes. We're not complaining - its more concern than anything else - like what the heck is going on and what is wrong? I

Here's to Friday! :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

I'm certain that being there is better than watching via periscope feed or a bootleg video after the fact. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

• Like 3

I have been reading the message board for years and do not usually make comments but after this thread, I feel like people are being very harsh about last night's show in Toronto. I was there, sat in the 100 level and it was my 10th Rush concert (I usually watch 1 show each tour). Beyond the botched opening of Headlong Flight, there was nothing wrong with last night's concert. A 1 second error on Subdivisions can easily be corrected for the DVD. All other mistakes like missed notes during a solo or playing the wrong chord is nitpicking at best. I have heard some previous shows on this tour that have popped up on Youtube and overall I am not hearing anything different than what happened last night. Mistakes will happen every night. Was the show last night the best gig of the tour - probably not. Should they cancel the DVD due to what some perceive as a substandard performance - NO. The best concerts for any band never get captured professionally and if the live document of this tour ends up being Toronto 1, I won't complain. Rush may replay Setlist A regardless tomorrow night for the DVD. People will probably complain about that too even if they play flawlessly.
  • Like 7

The thing is we are used to their perfection. We are not accustomed to Rush making mistakes. We're not complaining - its more concern than anything else - like what the heck is going on and what is wrong? I

Here's to Friday! :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

I'm certain that being there is better than watching via periscope feed or a bootleg video after the fact. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'm surprised by flubs because this is a show that is being filmed for a DVD. I don't want them to have overdub. As Yoda would "Overdubbing leads to Exit Stage Left and Exit stage left leads to the Darkside" of audio recordings in my opinion" :fury:

Edited by madrushian

I really hope this is true for all my Aussie friends who are sooooo hoping that Rush will one day finally do a couple of shows Down Under!

Interesting. Recently Geddy had mentioned he and his wife had spent several weeks in New Zealand bird watching. OTOH, it's a little hard to believe. How much would it cost to send all that equipment overseas? And travelling between each of the countries would require more ocean shipping. I don't see the cost benefit, unless they pull off some sort of Iron Maiden Flight 666 deal.