Neil a phony??

nicky6

Wow, this thread is ridiculous. He's just a drummer in a rock band, and he's a human with an opinion. It's not the second coming.
  • Like 1

My point is in the use of the word phoney.....which both Rands have been shown to be on varying levels...Ayn Rand...and Rand Paul.....

As to his work with minortities...its a pretty recent development and his own shouting down of female journalists is pretty well known.....I can see someone question his motivations in both cases.....

Again...Neil gave an opinion which is his right to do so.....it doesn't have to align with what you think or even be technically correct...

Didn't Mr. Paul start a clinic for poor and needy families in 1995?

Hey if he did....good on him....I'm referring more to the incarceration stuff he's been going to the media with since...well...campaign season.....

Bottom line Neil or anyone else is allowed an opinion....

Hate seeing people get all bent like a character from the old tv series "V" because they are the newly uniformed family member falling entirely in line with Randian philosophy....Ayn....or not

How many people here have to repeatedly state that they don't intend to vote for Paul, but they are displeased with Peart's accusations of racism and misogyny without backing it up before you accept that? Or is it easier just to ignore the points we are making and issue personal attacks?

Please point me to a personal attack...thanks ahead of time.

You're welcome.

And if you're implying that Paul is a misogynist or racist with your oddly argued comments about his past, you can add that, too.

That's.....a personal attack?...... um....ok.

The point is....YOU DONT have to agree with Peart.....but he can still say it.

Do you get this worked up when members of the GOP call the POTUS the antichrist...? Or imply he isn't a citizen of the US?...

Just curious to see if you get so eagerly worked up over that?

Let's not cross a line here. Read my previous posts and I think you'll understand the position. Also, I think Ronald Reagan was also called the antichrist and Ted Cruz has been hit with the "is he eligible to be President" argument.

• Like 1

Wow, this thread is ridiculous. He's just a drummer in a rock band, and he's a human with an opinion. It's not the second coming.

Is it ridiculous? I thought that this is what fans do, especially when they had a big intellectual influence on us. Neil did that for many of us, in spades.

Also, I think for the topic it's been very civil.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 3

My statement was nowhere near being a personal attack as it was directed at no single person...I think there's some projection going on...Nerotica... IDK

Is it ridiculous? I thought that this is what fans do, especially when they had a big intellectual influence on us. Neil did that for many of us, in spades.

Also, I think for the topic it's be very civil.

no kidding. I thought this thread would be locked 6 pages ago.

• Like 3

Yeah, I thought that too.

• Like 2

My point is in the use of the word phoney.....which both Rands have been shown to be on varying levels...Ayn Rand...and Rand Paul.....

As to his work with minortities...its a pretty recent development and his own shouting down of female journalists is pretty well known.....I can see someone question his motivations in both cases.....

Again...Neil gave an opinion which is his right to do so.....it doesn't have to align with what you think or even be technically correct...

Didn't Mr. Paul start a clinic for poor and needy families in 1995?

Hey if he did....good on him....I'm referring more to the incarceration stuff he's been going to the media with since...well...campaign season.....

Bottom line Neil or anyone else is allowed an opinion....

Hate seeing people get all bent like a character from the old tv series "V" because they are the newly uniformed family member falling entirely in line with Randian philosophy....Ayn....or not

How many people here have to repeatedly state that they don't intend to vote for Paul, but they are displeased with Peart's accusations of racism and misogyny without backing it up before you accept that? Or is it easier just to ignore the points we are making and issue personal attacks?

Please point me to a personal attack...thanks ahead of time.

You're welcome.

And if you're implying that Paul is a misogynist or racist with your oddly argued comments about his past, you can add that, too.

That's.....a personal attack?...... um....ok.

The point is....YOU DONT have to agree with Peart.....but he can still say it.

Do you get this worked up when members of the GOP call the POTUS the antichrist...? Or imply he isn't a citizen of the US?...

Just curious to see if you get so eagerly worked up over that?

Yes, I call out birthers or other similarly ridiculous attacks on people from either side of the aisle. It's hypocritical to compromise one's principles based on political affiliation. Which is why it is so odd to see people defending Peart's accusations and then attacking others for pointing out the issues with making such accusations.

• Like 2

Yeah, I thought that too.

Maybe SOCN has been expanded? :LOL:

• Like 1

Maybe Peart is angry at his intellectual property being repeatedly stolen and is counterattacking. And he no longer likes the GOP, which ain't that tough to imagine.

Maybe Peart is angry at his intellectual property being repeatedly stolen and is counterattacking. And he no longer likes the GOP, which ain't that tough to imagine.

Yes, I find that when I am angry about people for using my IP I generally engage in baseless accusations of racism and misogyny.

• Like 2

Repeatedly stolen? When? By the GOP? When?

Not even once has any of my favorite musicians - or any musicians for that matter - ever influenced my sociopolitical views.

Strange to see that kinda statement. I daresay Peart himself would scoff at the notion.

• Like 1

Not even once has any of my favorite musicians - or any musicians for that matter - ever influenced my sociopolitical views.

Strange to see that kinda statement. I daresay Peart himself would scoff at the notion.

Only novelists? Or poets? Or pundits? Or playwrites?

Why is it strange?

He has always written on so-called sociopolitical views.

Neil Peart has a blog where he shares authors and writers who influenced or inspired him.

Edited by ReRushed

Then maybe he should say that he is mad about music being used instead of blindly calling someone a racist without anything to back it up.

• Like 1

Why is it strange?

Neil Peart has a blog where he shares authors and writers who influenced or inspired him.

Letting others influence individual sociological and political understandings is, I would offer, how bad things happen. :)

Taking the facts available, one ought to filter and process their own understandings within their own capacities regardless of how others have openly expressed opinions on the same matter, be they presidents, poets, musicians, writers, journalists, fathers, mothers, cult leaders, whatever.

I don't believe in something because Brad Pitt does. I don't ascribe 'more strongly' to something because Neil Peart said something about it.

Edited by Bard

Why is it strange?

Letting others influence individual sociological and political understandings is, I would offer, how bad things happen. :)

Taking the facts available, one ought to filter and process their own understandings within their own capacities regardless of how others have openly expressed opinions on the same matter, be they presidents, poets, musicians, writers, journalists, fathers, mothers, cult leaders, whatever.

I don't believe in something because Brad Pitt does. I don't ascribe 'more strongly' to something because Neil Peart said something about it.

Okay. How does one reach the point they can process and filter through their own capacities? Is it simply innate? I'm not talking about mimmicking what others think. That's not what I said Neil Peart inspired me to do. But it does sound like how Neil Peart has espressed his "views" on Rand Paul.

Rock stars, Movie Stars, Sports stars have as much right to misguided opinions as anyone else.

It's those who put those types of people on pedestals that have the problems, you can dig into the personal lives of almost any high profile celeb and find a thousand reasons why they shouldn't be considered role models, or authorities on anything except what they are actually good at.

Edited by toscanobarga
  • Like 2

Then maybe he should say that he is mad about music being used instead of blindly calling someone a racist without anything to back it up.

Its very common for those on the left to look at the extremist right wing policies the last 20 or so years and think that of their political counterparts.

Nothing new.

Why is it strange?

Okay. How does one reach the point they can process and filter through their own capacities? Is it simply innate? I'm not talking about mimmicking what others think. That's not what I said Neil Peart inspired me to do. But it does sound like how Neil Peart has espressed his "views" on Rand Paul.

Education and life experience, I suppose. Yes, of course we have to read others' books and listen to others' opinions while progressing through life, but only to shape the capacity to filter and process...not to form an end result. Obviously the latter is what many if not most people do. But that doesn't mean it's the right way. It's easy to hop on a bandwagon. It's much harder to build your own.

In any case, you said that Peart had a big intellectual influence on you, implying that his beliefs profoundly affected your own. I was pointing out that every opinion I've ended up concluding was never based on what Mark Twain would've thought on the same matter. The subject of the opinion is the main affecting factor...not how others see the subject.

Individuation vs. groupthink, I guess.

Rock stars, Movie Stars, Sports stars have as much right to misguided opinions as anyone else.

It's those who put those types of people on pedestals that have the problems, you can dig into the personal lives of almost any high profile celeb and find a thousand reasons why they shouldn't be considered role medals, or authorities on anything except what they are actually good at.

Right.

In other words: who cares what or how Neil Peart thinks about anything?

Just play the drums, Neil.

• Like 4

Its very common for those on the left to look at the extremist right wing policies the last 20 or so years and think that of their political counterparts.

Nothing new.

Seriously? There are no extreme left wing policies to worry about?

A think a line can possibly be crossed.

• Like 2