Serious question for after the filming in TO

Del_Duio

If any of you are DT fans (I know some here are) and have seen their most recent DVD release "Breaking the Fourth Wall" you may know that they went back during post-production and tweaked some of James' vocals in places to put them more on key.

I don't think it was a straight up autotune or anything but whatever it was they did it and to be honest it makes the whole thing sound killer. I'm not suggesting that they turned the thing on and left it on the whole concert, just for a few instances to help correct his notes.

Though Geddy's singing has improved since the last couple tours, I wonder- especially if this *is* the final tour or DVD- if he would OK the use of something similar before its release? The best reference I can give you is the comparison between something like 'The Fourth Wall" vs. "Live at Budokhan", the latter being 100% non-tweaked vocally and almost painful to listen to after the 2nd or 3rd song.

Would you rather have a final goodbye concert as it is you might watch once or twice, or if the guys themselves OK'd a few touch ups afterwards to have something really memorable to watch forever? As an added bonus, Alex would have an opportunity to go back and fix anything he felt he didn't nail on these nights due to his arthritis.

Not trying to stir the pot, but was curious how anyone else felt about the possibility.

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 2

I don't believe Rush will do anything other than get the vocals to sound the best they can with what was recorded on those nights. Mostly because they haven't done anything with the 5 previous concert releases, as far as I know and can tell. To quote roadwar: "Leave it the way it is for me."

If any of you are DT fans (I know some here are) and have seen their most recent DVD release "Breaking the Fourth Wall" you may know that they went back during post-production and tweaked some of James' vocals in places to put them more on key.

I don't think it was a straight up autotune or anything but whatever it was they did it and to be honest it makes the whole thing sound killer. I'm not suggesting that they turned the thing on and left it on the whole concert, just for a few instances to help correct his notes.

Though Geddy's singing has improved since the last couple tours, I wonder- especially if this *is* the final tour or DVD- if he would OK the use of something similar before its release? The best reference I can give you is the comparison between something like 'The Fourth Wall" vs. "Live at Budokhan", the latter being 100% non-tweaked vocally and almost painful to listen to after the 2nd or 3rd song.

Would you rather have a final goodbye concert as it is you might watch once or twice, or if the guys themselves OK'd a few touch ups afterwards to have something really memorable to watch forever? As an added bonus, Alex would have an opportunity to go back and fix anything he felt he didn't nail on these nights due to his arthritis.

Not trying to stir the pot, but was curious how anyone else felt about the possibility.

Not opposed to the idea. Take the best sounding songs from the stint I say...use those.

then they might as well just go into the studio and play the whole concert live and get as many shots as they need to get it perfect. It's live, it's contained in 2 nights, not over the whole tour.

then they might as well just go into the studio and play the whole concert live and get as many shots as they need to get it perfect. It's live, it's contained in 2 nights, not over the whole tour.

I think if it's a major flub or if something sounds really off they should fix it. They've been having a lot of technical glitches this tour. I'm sure they'd want the recording to represent their best effort.

they always fix up their live recordings somewhat. I think all bands do. I remember some of the performances on Different Stages sounded a lot different that some of the boots from the (supposedly) same show.

Clem

I agree EagleMoon, it's just going to the extreme that I find ridiculous, especially in regards to Geddy's vocals. They(Rush), deliver amazing live concerts, don't try to polish every note or vocal. Clem I agree with you also, but when a Band releases a live album, you should expect them to tweek the recorded audio, along the same way they do it when recording in the studio. Imagine how records would sound if they just released what they captured on tape and then mixed to achieve what we listen to when we press play. Then we would have something to bitch about for real!
  • Like 2

they always fix up their live recordings somewhat. I think all bands do. I remember some of the performances on Different Stages sounded a lot different that some of the boots from the (supposedly) same show.

Clem

They weren't all from the same show.

Clem

They weren't all from the same show.

Yup. Am aware. I'm thinking specifically of the performance of The Analog Kid. It's been awhile, so I don't remember all the details.

Clem

I'd rather they fixed it up so it was listenable/watchable.

Hate to say it but I agree. I can't watch/listen to the last few concert shows because poor Ged's struggles with the high notes. I really hate it for him but that's how I feel about it.

Exactly. Fix it up if it needs it so it's something we enjoy to view over and over. If you're going to stop touring, leave us something good.

• Like 1

I guess it would depend on how well the touch ups are done and how much of the original recording is maintained. Van Halen's Live:Right Here, Right Now was 99% redone, and doesn't even feel like a live recording. With the latest DT release, it definitely has kept the live feel intact, and you can only notice the touch ups on a few spots.

Touch-ups won't help tonight's first set. More like a makeover. :(

I guess we'll see. Hopefully the next show is better.

Something went that wrong during the first set? What happened exactly. Haven't found any reviews of the first Toronto show yet. I saw Rush on this tour, and have seen various videos, everything I heard sounded fine.

Something went that wrong during the first set? What happened exactly. Haven't found any reviews of the first Toronto show yet. I saw Rush on this tour, and have seen various videos, everything I heard sounded fine.

Off the top of my head...Alex was missing a lot of obvious notes in his solos. Geddy started Subdivisions in the wrong key. Something was wrong with one of Neil's drum triggers. Geddy's bass was tuned wrong at the beginning of Headlong Flight and he had to exchange it for another, which took much longer than it should have.

Edited by EagleMoon

Off the top of my head...Alex was missing a lot of obvious notes in his solos. Geddy started Subdivisions in the wrong key. Something was wrong with one of Neil's drum triggers. Geddy's bass was tuned wrong at the beginning of Headlong Flight and he had to exchange it for another, which took much longer than it should have.

Damn age catching up, and technology not working!

• Like 1

Damn age catching up, and technology not working!

Yeah no kidding. I know Alex really messed up the guitar solo in Roll The Bones, so doubt they'll be using that one.