Hell Has Frozen Over

southpaw2k5

Well, I'm def buyin' the rag. First time ever on RS cover? Duh.

Doesn't matter what I think of Jann Werner (douche). It's a cultural touchstone, like it or not.

Way overdue.

But this oughta sell the rest of the tickets available, LOL.

They are gonna go out on top. Rightfully so,. Not many bands get to say that.

They should have had a picture of all of them standing with their backs to the camera giving the magazine the finger.

That's certainly the attitude they cultivated during the 70s and 80s. See, back when Rush wasn't popular, they didn't want to be popular (or so they lead us to believe), but that's changed in recent years.

Well, being unpopular isn't lucrative you know. ;)

Glittering prizes and endless compromises...

• Like 3

Well, I'm def buyin' the rag. First time ever on RS cover? Duh.

Doesn't matter what I think of Jann Werner (douche). It's a cultural touchstone, like it or not.

Way overdue.

But this oughta sell the rest of the tickets available, LOL.

They are gonna go out on top. Rightfully so,. Not many bands get to say that.

They should have had a picture of all of them standing with their backs to the camera giving the magazine the finger.

That's certainly the attitude they cultivated during the 70s and 80s. See, back when Rush wasn't popular, they didn't want to be popular (or so they lead us to believe), but that's changed in recent years.

I suspect that the following played into their opinions:

1. They didn't like most music that was popular

2. They didn't want to change their music for the purpose of becoming popular

3. They liked being able to live as "normal" guys

4. They were butthurt at how they were treated by the press and critics

The circumstances have changed.

• Like 1

Even though it's cool to see them on the cover, the "Twilight Of The Geek Gods" is still kinda like a backhanded dig. May as well say 'All serious Rush fans are geeks and thank god this irritating band is finally going away.'

I still can't understand why they were and are thought of that way.

Because rock and roll is usually about sex, drugs and rock and roll, 3 things the band eschewed to focus on science fiction, philosophical musings, and moderately intelligent social observations.

• Like 5

Because rock and roll is usually about sex, drugs and rock and roll, 3 things the band eschewed to focus on science fiction, philosophical musings, and moderately intelligent social observations.

Well, it went right over my head. :cool:

Which goes to show you why so many rock bands don't last.

• Like 1

Not too many other bands wrote songs about warring species of trees and Olympic gods.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 3

Looking forward to buying this. Seeing my favorite band on the cover a "mainstream" mag is pretty cool.

It will be the sign of the apocolypse if they end up on the cover of People.

• Like 2

Geek....is not in and of itself a bad word....quite the contrary these days....being geeked or being into something to an absurd level is viewed as kinda cool.....think Radiohead isn't geeky?

It ain't 1984 and acting like Van Halen just hasn't been "cool" for quite awhile folks....."Revenge of the Nerds" wouldn't fly today....

The guys that created facebook are geek tech heads who are rock stars....

• Like 1

I wonder if success might have gotten to their heads more readily if all this had happened back in the late 70s or early 80s. I suspect it was good for their art and their longevity that they were able to cruise through all that, with nothing but their loyal following . . .
  • Like 1

I wonder if success might have gotten to their heads more readily if all this had happened back in the late 70s or early 80s.

You mean being on the cover of the Rolling Stone?

I would think gold and platinum records would have meant more to me than than. Gold and platinum records and walking out on stage to look upon a sea of people there just to hear me play.

• Like 1

I wonder if success might have gotten to their heads more readily if all this had happened back in the late 70s or early 80s.

You mean being on the cover of the Rolling Stone?

Yeah . . . in general all the "mainstream" recognition (including the the Love You Bro movie and the documentary) which the RS cover is emblematic of.

They didn't need the cover of the Rolling Stone back then. They don't need it today. Even if it is nice to see them on it.

Even if they had managed to make the cover back then, I don't think it would have drawn in that much bigger of a fan base.

Personally, I don't think Rush cared.

Then. Or now.

But I don't know them and this is just my opinion.

:)

• Like 1

They didn't need the cover of the Rolling Stone back then. They don't need it today. Even if it is nice to see them on it.

Even if they had managed to make the cover back then, I don't think it would have drawn in that much bigger of a fan base.

Personally, I don't think Rush cared.

Then. Or now.

But I don't know them and this is just my opinion.

:)

I also prefer to believe that their heads would not have swelled. It's just that that sort of fame brings with it lots of people who want to exploit you - sort of feeds the beast and maybe brings out the worst in some people.

• Like 1

Geek....is not in and of itself a bad word....quite the contrary these days....being geeked or being into something to an absurd level is viewed as kinda cool.....think Radiohead isn't geeky?

It ain't 1984 and acting like Van Halen just hasn't been "cool" for quite awhile folks....."Revenge of the Nerds" wouldn't fly today....

The guys that created facebook are geek tech heads who are rock stars....

This is so true. Look at a band like the Black Keys. The drummer in particular. The tough guy , macho rock star is a thing of the past. In a way, Rush were ahead of their time. They had success, but were laughed at by the dudes who only listened to acdc.

Being a nerd is cool nowadays.

• Like 2

I guess it was a slow week where no limited talent self-absorbed rock star killed themself. Oh wait Amy Winehouse is on the cover too. Stand corrected.

Amy's last days....I want to know all about them! I absolutely NEED TO KNOW every sordid little detail of her last days, everything she did, everything she said......

Wait a minute.....I don't even know who Amy is. Nevermind..... :eh:

• Like 1

I guess it was a slow week where no limited talent self-absorbed rock star killed themself. Oh wait Amy Winehouse is on the cover too. Stand corrected.

Amy's last days....I want to know all about them! I absolutely NEED TO KNOW every sordid little detail of her last days, everything she did, everything she said......

Wait a minute.....I don't even know who Amy is. Nevermind..... :eh:

Congrats to Amy Winehouse. She celebrates 4 years sober next month! :haz:
  • Like 5