Rush getting paid

madrushian

I remember reading something on here that during the TMT, Rush got paid $500,000 to play at the Syracuse state fair (a show I was in the front row for btw :D ) and Aerosmith got paid something like 2 million to play a show at the same venue that year. This is before ticket and merch is factored in. This is just the fee for the band to perform. Even after expenses, if Rush is getting paid around that for their shows currently, then they're doing pretty damn good for themselves.

It also goes to show you how much a band can make per show when they have a name that has become as big as Aerosmith's has.

Based on some of the numbers here, they grossed apps $64,000,000 for the CA tour. If the court documents were correct, they would have brought home roughly $10,000,000 each.

This makes more sense to me than netting under a million for a full tour.

• Like 1

I honestly believe these guys have made enough money that their grandkids will probably be set financially for the rest of their lives. You don't tour for almost 20 years now without an opening band if you don't have some serious money.

Based on some of the numbers here, they grossed apps $64,000,000 for the CA tour. If the court documents were correct, they would have brought home roughly $10,000,000 each.

I was thinking about that myself. When I tried to figure out how much they grossed for CA, I stopped counting at $40,000,000.00.

No way do they go out and do what they do just to bring home a paltry $750,000 for all of their work. That's nothing today, and it's hardly worth touring (for Rush, that is) just to earn such a small sum.

Edited by Lorraine

Thanks for everyone's input. Though remember the 64 mil is gross so its less than 10mil take home but likely between 10m and 1mi per tour for the past 20 years or so.

A little old back during time machine tour. Billboard reported....

"the No. 1 ranking on Hot Tours chart with totals reported from the Time Machine Tour that played North American venues from late June through early October. = $18,989,834 (thats 270,000 tickets, with a gross of $18,989,834.)

"Snakes & Arrows Tour in 2007-2008 that grossed over $52 million.

blabber mouth reported for 2013

RUSH - 14.9 million gross (25 shows)

Edited by madrushian

One last one in 2012 the members of rush got paid

$8,719,834.30 total for the first leg of the the CA tour

Numbers like that is why there will be a second leg to this tour.

Edited by antiquark

We can only hope. I agree since this is the last tour it only seem appropriate to go see your fans one last time. They could take a 5 month break than do a leg across the Atlantic and then take another 6 month break and hit Asia .

The band does have a lot of money and makes a ton of it on tour. But with how big the production is for the current tour, i'm not sure how cheap it would be to try and bring all of that over to Europe and Asia? You're probably talking millions of dollars just to transport everything that far. Regardless of how rich they might be, no one wants to take a potential financial loss that big if ticket sales don't cover the expenses.

According to this page on the Clockwork Angels tour, their gross income was about $500,000 per show. Of course that had to be split among all the roadies etc.

https://en.wikipedia...ork_Angels_Tour

People keep thinking Rush (or any large touring band, for that matter) bring home sacks of cash after a tour. But remember, the gross ticket sales go towards supporting a lot of people and renting/buying a lot of gear. According to Neil's latest blog entry, on this current tour they have "eleven trucks, and carry sixty-two people in five buses, two motorcycles, and one chartered jet." And that's in addition to any office staff that aren't on the road with them. While they most likely make a decent living they are also working A LOT to earn it. And I don't begrudge them one bit. I hope they are leading comfortable lives.

So, in Republican parlance, they are "job creators", yes?

:D

In all seriousness, touring with this kind of show is a big, big business. Whether some fans like it or not, Rush are a business. And the point of said business is to turn a profit.

Sure, they probably didn't start out thinking it was about the money (well, then again, maybe they did.... after spending some time with Gene and Kiss), but I am sure they have realized they can enjoy all the things they want in life thanks to their work. And more power to them. If you enjoy what you do for a living, you never really work.

...they probably didn't start out thinking it was about the money ...

Like Justin Hayward said decades ago, and I think it applies to all of the band members, they acquire a lifestyle when they are at the height of their career and making lots of money. Then, on account of the fact that they happen to very much like that lifestyle, they have to keep making enough money to sustain it.

Edited by Lorraine

they do not tour for the money they tour for the desire end of the subject

What about when Peart explicitly says that he is running out of money because he is not touring and making music with the band?

• Like 2

Running out of money is a subjective term,

For the average person it may mean I have very little in savings or no savings. Though for Neil it may mean I only have 300,000 in my savings account. I guess these guys don't have any retirement accounts or saved money for their retirement..

Maybe he just needs to live with in his means

Edited by madrushian

If Neil is running out of money, it means he never had it invested properly. I guaranty you Geddy had his invested well. Probably has tax shelters galore. And Alex always has the bar when all else fails.

Maybe Neil should buy Reeboks next time. A penny saved is a penny earned. :)

If Neil is running out of money, it means he never had it invested properly. I guaranty you Geddy had his invested well. Probably has tax shelters galore. And Alex always has the bar when all else fails.

Maybe Neil should buy Reeboks next time. A penny saved is a penny earned. :)

Neil's doing fine selling Bubba ware.

What about when Peart explicitly says that he is running out of money because he is not touring and making music with the band?

Wait, isn't that what happened during Rush's hiatus between T4E and VT? That certainly can't still be happening with him now, right?

Of course the money is one of the big reasons they tour. Isn't that the reason we all show up to work and do our jobs? Well, writing, recording and touring is Geddy, Neil and Alex's job. Has been for over 40 years, so the money is a huge factor in doing what they do.

Sure, most people get into the music business because they love music and want to play it. But they are also aware if they become successful that the money will be great. The big money is a major driving force as to why Rush and many other bands do this for so long because if you're good at what you do, then the financial rewards are great.

I'm not denying that Rush doesn't have any passion for their music and playing it live because it's obvious that they have that in spades. But it's just a naive way of thinking to say that they don't tour for the money, only the desire. If there was no money to be made, they, along with most bands who have ever existed would have stopped touring years ago.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Wait, isn't that what happened during Rush's hiatus between T4E and VT? That certainly can't still be happening with him now, right?

Yes, you're right on the time frame. My intent wasn't to suggest that Neil is now running out of money, but to demonstrate that the idea that they tour solely for the desire is probably not accurate.

• Like 3